Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
totallywiggedout posted:
Ok, I know that , and am sorry for the fact that I've been in somewhat LESS than a sparkly mood lately. Judy pointed it out today and I do apologize for it. I get cranky when I'm sick, and tired, and sick and tired of BEING sick and tired...... lol you get the picture
I also have hit a brick wall about what to do about Christmas here. For one thing, I hope to be able to be in Michigan with my granddaughter , and son and daughter in law, and varied family members.... but Anna for sure . So we are sort of in a rut trying to figure out the logistics of holiday travel, present distribution, and WHEN exactly to have OUR Christmas down here.
THEN last week, Monica throws in that she's not sure if we can HAVE a real tree, which I love, because the last time she was in a house with one, she got a migraine. Never mind that she was about 4 years old at the time, she's sure that it's gonna cause problems.
insert eye roll here......
I told her that the tree is put in the living room anyhow, and she hardly ever comes in here. It's usually straight from the bedroom to the bathroom then thru the kitchen and out the door. Or just the bedroom for her, lol.
Plus there's the little problem of the complete lack of space here now, lol
I'm wondering if I cant suspend my tree from the ceiling upside down, like a green chandelier .. I mean , where do you put presents if not under a tree???? decisions decisions decisions
think think think

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 180.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rohvannyn responded:
Tough situation. If she feels put upon, then she almost certainly WILL have whatever symptoms she is expecting, and it will be the fault of whatever she didn't want in the house. If you can, take Monica to a tree lot and watch for symptoms? Or get a live tree and let her know it will cause less allergens because it won't be drying out? I've done everything from putting a teeny tiny tree in a flower vase to setting a bucket up on a table for a bigger one. Hanging a tree could be neat, or maybe trimming off a few branches from one side and mounting it on a wall. If nothing else, a few fir boughs bent in a circle for a wreath will give you the nice smell.

I want a christmas saquaro cactus!
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy responded:
Gee Thats a bit of a situation , I love real trees but I decided about 25 years ago to get a fake one that looked real because of my own allergies ..the best thing about the fake tree is it can be used over and over I think I paid 100 dollars for it 25 years ago that included an angel for the top and all the lights I needed at the time... the angel and lights had to be replaced every few years but the tree itself is still looking good , But this requires haveing storage space for the rest of the year ..
I also have a ceramic tree that sits in the family room on top of my fake fireplace LOL
I think if I had your family problems I would be sad at christmas too ..and grumpy even if I wasn;t allready sick
I did spend one Chritmas in Michigan with my son and familly I just wanted to see the grandkids on Chritmas at least once. well My Daughter who was liveing in Boston on her own at the time was so upset I was gone at Christmas ...it was weird I couldn;t win at that time ...
there is no way one Mother can be in 2 places at once ..
I chose to be Gramma that year
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

justmejust responded:
Kim, I finally bought a fake 6 foot by 4 foot pre lit Christmas tree this year. It has it's plusses. I don't have to worry about keeping water in it, no needles to vacuum daily, and no sap on your hands when setting it up and taking it down. It was only $84 at k-mart. It is easy for me to do alone. I chose one light enough and small enough for me to haul around, put up, and decorate on my own.

When I have a migrain the LAST thing I want to be even close to is what causes it. Please think carefully about comforting someone prone to a known migraine inducer.

I know fake trees are tough to choose when you love a real one. You can always keep it for a couple years and it will pay itself off. And you might like it.
Laura 155 - 198 - 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight.

totallywiggedout replied to justmejust's response:
Hi Laura.
I think I didn't say this earlier, I had a fake tree the entire time my kids were growing up. It was a 7.5 ft beauty which I got while working at Walmart, on the after Christmas markdowns. So when I purchased it, it was orig 129 or so , marked to 75% off and then I got my employee discount on top of that. I really just stole the thing, lol.
But that tree, after almost 20 years of hard service, finally started showing its age. It was nice, but when I got our real trees for the last couple of years down here, I thought, ah, so this is what I've been missing. I really missed the smell. And since we don't get snow, that smell can go a long way toward making it feel more like the holidays.
I never really have to worry about watering much, lol. I don't put my tree up until just a few days, maybe a week before Christmas, and I take it down the day after.
The tree always feels like it is full of anticipation before and it looks "done with its job" and forlorn after the actual day , to me, so down it goes.
As for her migraines, again, she was only 3 and it was only the once. Sometimes I think she's just trying to be difficult, so it's hard to tell what is real and what is a tantrum if she doesn't push and get her own way.
Idk. I prolly won't even have one this year. We really dont have the room for it, as the corner that it usually sat now has an entire pulley weight machine sitting in it.
Honestly, dangling from the center of the ceiling fan, is the only place that I can see us being able to have one.
Maybe , I'll get one of those big twig balls from hobby lobby and cover it in spruce and fake poinsettia flowers, then light it up. Hanging from the fan it could serve double purpose as our one nod to holiday decorating and as a disco ball if we decide to dance to the carols, lol.
so sad. But we'll muddle through it.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 180.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

mefirstforever replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim,

I would not get an artificial tree this year, just make like you said a small corner with a poinsettia and the manger ( I learned a new English word today). On a small stool covered with a nice Christmas table clothe then you can put all the Christmas gifts around. Or if you can put the tree outside in front of the window and put the gift on the inside windowsill. Boy I have such silly Ideas !!!

You know that this situation won`t last long. And that menagerie LOL will move out soon. finger crossed. Try to make the best of the situation. Will she visit her family this year? You did spoke about here situation but I can`t remember, maybe this is part of the problem. This time of the year makes you this of what you misted out.

Hope you go to Michigan and have a great time with your grand daughter!!!!

huggs
helene
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a wife and mother, 59, who works for her self-employed husband. At 229 pounds, I am 99 lbs. overweight and have been for 20 years. In fact, at my...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.