Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
yo yo the clown
lindalu79 posted:
find diets that work i eat right lose 10 lbs get bored with the food gain 15 back i will exercise but i get discouraged when i step on that scale and nothing i recently started walking 3 miles every other day and im ready to quit because the scale hasnt moved! i feel so silly starting and stopping but i need to see some results!!!can anyone help me please!!!!?

Take the Poll

o
  • how should i walk to see results
  • how can i get off my sugar stress eating
vote
View Poll Results

totallywiggedout responded:
hi lindalu, welcome!
Sweety, it's the way you are looking at your journey. For one thing, this isn't a "diet".
Diets hardly ever work because you feel too restricted and enslaved to the "right" way of doing them.
Toss that idea away, and free yourself.
Start a food and fitness planner either here on webmd, Fitday.com or some other freebie. Put in your current daily exercise output at the LOWEST possible choice, to give yourself a better idea about how much it will take to get you on your way.
These planners are very good tools to use because they show you, from your current weight, how many calories and how much exercise to shoot for on a daily basis.
Obviously, the healthier foods you eat, the better the results. Food doesn't have to be boring we have a blog started here on the 50-100 comm that we started to share some of our own favorite meals and snacks on.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2523

on this link are some really good choices that are low in calories and high in taste, the recipes that are just written out have been tried by at least one of us and have been deemed "good enough to eat", lol.
Most of us adhere to mainly fixing meals from scratch, using fresh , whole foods and whole grains.
Try to eat a rainbow every day. Or as many colors as possible. The brighter the colors the better nutritional value.
White foods, like white potatoes, rice and breads aren't good choices. Not enough nutrients for the calories,fats and sugars they have in them, and white isn't a color in the rainbow, it's the total absence of color.
Eat to feed your body, not your moods.
Drink at least 64 oz of water every day.
Vary your foods and your exercise to make sure you stick with it. Neither one has to be boring.
Stay strong.
Blog because it helps to have someone "have your back".
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 180.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard. Kim has given you great advice. Like she said change your thinking process slowly.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jis4judy responded:
Hi lindalu welcome aboard

I did the same thing off and on for a long time I gave up on loseing weight and started eating as healthy as I could and surprise the weight started comeing off . It did take some learning on my part I had to learn what food gave me the nutrients my body needed to get as healthy as possable , I logged in Fitday and checked nutrition as I went if I was low on a certain nutrient I would search online for foods with that nutrient in them and on the list there was usually something listed that I was willing to eat . focusing on nutrition and portion control made the difference for me ..
Diets dont work changeing one habit at a time works and this plan you stay on for life it doesn;t end
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Welcome Lindalu! Although we all do things a bit differently, the majority of us are in agreement that the only way to be successful is to stop "dieting" and focus on good nutrition. I'm a calorie counter, but you don't have to be if you just let a food keep up with it for you.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

lindalu79 responded:
thank you all for the tips i will be posting my results from your tips this week

jean4u replied to lindalu79's response:
Your original post was 3 months ago....?

Barb

jean4u replied to lindalu79's response:
I want to say welcome back!

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
Hi sweety, welcome back!
It's been awhile.
As for this poll, hmmm. I'd say, walk every day. One mile. Walking is great because as you get stronger and lighter, you can always walk that mile faster until you have reached the pace that is comfortable without being stressful. Remember you walk because you WANT to, no because you HAVE to. If it gets to the point that you hate it or feel chained to it, change the routine.
I have 3 different places on my trail that have "overlooks" with railings. I use these 3 stops to do 20 rail pushups during my walk. It breaks up the monotony and also gives me a good workout for arms. If you have a place that has a playground too, use the monkeybars, or stop and swing for 10 min or use the slide, it all burns calories.
Also finding places to walk that have loose sand or gravel works your legs more than paved sections do, and always have some sort of incline/decline in there to give you a more heart pumping workout if possible.
As for the sugar for stress.... try a big juicy peach or nectarine, or a small bunch of frozen green grapes instead of grabbing a fatty sugary sweet.
BUT ALWAYS drink a full 16 oz bottle of water 10 min before you indulge in something extra.... your body may actually be craving water but you are so conditioned to munching when you get the urge that you are overlooking basic body NEEDS.
If the water doesn't help, then go for a healthy , fibrous snack and enjoy the heck out of it by taking your time eating it. Concentrate on the flavor and sweetness of it .
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was always skinny. Worked hard at it. Then 20 years ago, i met my husband. I've put on 70 lbs since then. I've tried different diets. I real...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.