Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mood problems after eating red meat?
rohvannyn posted:
I got a ham for Christmas, which was nice, but I noticed a lot more feelings of fear and anxiety after eating it. I've had the same problem with beef, especially hamburger. No similar problem with chicken, fish, or wild caught game such as venison. I wonder if there might be fear related hormones in the meat that could be causing this? Cattle feel a lot of fear in the stockyard and quite a bit of odd things can get into hamburger. As for pork, pigs are quite close to us physiologically and so I'm thinking their meat might end up contaminated as well. Having raised meat chickens, I can tell you they are far dumber than laying hens and they don't seem to notice much. Same with many fish.

So I was wondering. Has anyone else noticed this effect? Any mood problems, whether excessive anger or fear, after eating standard commercial ham or beef? Any difference between that and wild caught game or more humanely raised meat? I've eaten mostly chicken and fish for so long that the effect is a lot more obvious than I've noticed previously.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mefirstforever responded:
Happy new year Roh,

I don't know but if your ham was a processed ham with all that salt and conservation additives plus the special protein glue that they put to piece it together.
All these could have an adverse chemical action to your health.
Did you feel better after a day. If so it's probably the ham if not maybe it's the stress of the holiday.
Hugs
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 201 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

rohvannyn replied to mefirstforever's response:
You are right, the added chemicals probably did have some effect. I was curious about anyone else having mood issues as well, because I've had the exact same problem from beef that didn't have anything extra in it.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was always skinny. Worked hard at it. Then 20 years ago, i met my husband. I've put on 70 lbs since then. I've tried different diets. I real...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.