Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Over 70 and obese
MaryJo32162 posted:
Over the years, I have tried every weight loss program known and I have not succeeded. I am lucky in that I have the good genes and currently have no health issues except osteoarthritis which flares up every now and then. I want to get this weight off so I dont feel out of breath when I walk fast or up a flight of stairs. Please help. I do need support. Thank you.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Mary Jo
I am also 70 I have been on my plan for almost 10 years
I started by giveing up on weight loss and eating for better health started to limit portions and over a years time I removed nearly 100 pounds and have been maintaining since . I will be 71 next month..
the thing is forget diets just eat healthy 80 -90% of the time
and move some more ..
I eliminated most proccessed foods and the things I do buy I read the labels and they can sometimes lie on them so read the ingrdient list I don;t buy anything with hydrogenated oils
also known as trans fats ... stay away from artificial sugars I use real sugar or honey but limit it.. also don;t buy anything with High frucos corn syrup..
these things fuel your hunger and cause you to over eat .
I use fat free dairy and get my healthy fats from nuts and avocados in proper portions ..

focus your meal plans on fruits vegies lean meats whole grains fat free dairy Nuts in moderation and make changes you can live with forever ..
Hey I hope I didn;t overwhelm you with details just welcome aboard and we will try to help as much as we can
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard! Judy has great advice.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jean4u responded:
Hi, I am 67. We are all ages here, but with the same goal...to get and stay healthy!!

Barb

abnersmom responded:
Welcome MaryJo! I'm 59 and feel better than I have in years. Stairs were a problem for me as well. I avoided them like the plague, now I'm searching them out! Great cardio!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've struggled with weight issues all of my adult life. At 37, looking back on all of those years of waisted time-I can never get back. I feel for...More

Helpful Tips

Working Out
OMG I had a very hard time getting out of the bed this morning to go to the gym. I'm not a morning person, but this morning it was awful. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.