Skip to content
I hate being FAT.
crystalmnz posted:
I am a mother of 4 girls who seem to be following in my steps. This year I want to change our families eating habit. Any suggestions?

jis4judy responded:
Yep stop buying the proccessed type foods and become an avid label reader so you can avoid the nasty ingredients in the proccessed stuff you do buy..
do not buy anthing with hydrogenated oils or high frucos corn syrup when you do buy a packaged food the fewest ingredients is the best choice.. also don;t bother with diet foods they are a scam ...
fresh or frozen fruits vegies whole grains fat free dairy
lean meats and nuts in proper portions ...these are the basics of nutrion ...welcome aboard
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Great resolution! My son has done a much better job in teaching his children the right way to eat than I did with him. Make small changes so it is not overwhelming and you can do it!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jean4u responded:
Small changes add up. Just by adding fresh cut up veggies and snacking on them BEFORE meals will help. Drink more water and walk 15 mins each day.

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
Think fresh and raw for most of your snacks and meal ingredients. Most of the prepackaged, preprepared things out there have added sugars, sodium and fats that increase their boxed weight, without adding any nutritional value and with adding all the crap that you are now wanting to avoid.
If it's not made "by your hands" you have no idea exactly how many unhealthy fillers are in the finished product.
Use sodium free herbs and spices, like Mrs Dash. Try to substitute Stevia or some other natural sugar substitute for white sugars.
Try to eat a rainbow every day. Fresh fruits and veggies, even pastas and rices with brighter deeper colors have higher concentrations of nutrients than "white" ones do. So substitute whole grain for breads, pastas and rice and peruvian blue or sweet potatoes for regular white fleshed(even red potatoes have white flesh, btw) potatoes.
Try to not "fry" foods in oils. Instead , spray them with PAM or Crisco butter or olive oil flavored cooking spray and roast in 425 oven till crispy. This is for veggies and meats.
Try not to buy chips and crackers, instead , buy fresh veggies and fruits or canned "lite or in own syrup" fruits. If buying canned or frozen veggies, make sure to get low or no sodium added.
Remember, you are in charge of what comes into the house, because you are the shopper. If it's not there, it can't be eaten.
Stay strong on your choices. Your kids may balk at first but they will definitely come around to the new choices you are giving them.
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 180.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

I just graduated from university with my Bachelor of Science in Psychology! Unfortunately, that's not all I gained from college lol. Hopefully I w...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.