Skip to content
Brand New
Solena posted:
Hi all. I'm brand new at this whole weight loss thing. I've never been on a diet before and I'm not sure exactly how I got fat, but I did. So now, I'm going to trim down this year. It seems like one minute I'm a teenager, and indestructible, and I blinked and now I'm 47 year old with a round belly and low stamina. *sigh*

jis4judy responded:
Welcome aboard Solena
I had some of that wonder how this happened But after examining My eating Habits I found out I was eating way too much ...I had a sweet tooth that helped a lot in makeing me fat ...
of course your metabolism changed a lot since your teen years too ...
menopause should be happening now or soon and that doesn;t help our weight any ..
what worked for me was eating as healthy as possable and paying attention to portions , I don't buy any "diet foods"
stay away from proccessed foods .. focus on fruits and vegies lean meats fat free dairy limited portions of nuts for healthy fats .. try to make permanent changes that you can live with rather than starveing on a diet thaen return to old eating habits and regain all plus more
we try to support each other I have been maintaining for 9 ish years
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Welcome Solena! When I started using a food tracker and logging my food every day, I was shocked by what I found. AND this was after I started my "diet." I got on this board at about that same time and I have totally changed my thinking. No "diets" for me, I have made a lifestyle change and am mindful now of everything that I consume. You can use the food tracker here on WebMD, fitday.com, sparkpeople.com, or one of the many others on the web that are free. This is a very helpful tool and will keep you honest about how much you are actually consuming and how nutritious the food choices you make are. Good luck!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

mefirstforever responded:
I also blinked and am 55 lol

Belly fat is the worst for your hearth good thing you are taking charge.
You got great advise so far. We come here for support and we do alot of research on the net nutrition wise. Like Debbie said start tracking It's a pain at first but it';s the best tool to figure out what changes you have to do. I use fitday.com free and it also give you nutrition content this way you can start making better choises to have a balance diet.

Also at the beginning I used a scale for portion control after a few month you get the hang of the portion I still use it a lot for new foods.

The better you nourish your body the better you will feel and you will have more energy to exercises and more energy to make better choices.
Helene GW 140 CW 201 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

jean4u responded:
Solene, Welcome here! Good to begin a new year with goals.

BTW, I know exactly how I got fat, chips and the couch! LOL

We can do this. Get healthier and lose weight along the way.

Barb

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

losing weight is possible,NOT EASY!!!! but possible. i have lost over 100 lbs, took me 3 years but its better to lose it slowely-no left over skin. I ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.