Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is this a good START??
An_249737 posted:
I am 22 year old female.
height 5'2
weight as of December 29th 2012 is 193...
i am using this food and fitness tracker and getting a habit to write down food and exercise on here (i think it be beneficial to use.) right?

i am a full time college student who do work study via school and babysit twice a week.
however, i am wanting to get started and do exercises in the morning before i go to work study or class.
goal for exercise right now is 30 minutes to 40 minutes at least 5 to 7 days week, (whenever i can)

food im doing,(1) I AM GOING TO TRY MY BEST NOT DRINK POP AT ALL (2) NO junk food, (3) NO fast food, i'm going to try my best not to eat out.
(4) not eat after 7pm. which can be hard.

i am told gatorade and tea is better than pop as well as water. so i am going to get those instead of pop at qt and vending machine.

is this a good start for someone who do not diet properly or get enough exercise??

I do not want to make too many changes that my body and mind cant handle at the moment. (hint) i get anxiety attacks.

jis4judy responded:
Hi the only problem I can see is the gatorade full of calories not a good choice other than that it sounds like a great start. tea as long as you take it plain or with lemon would be fine too water is the best choice.. some of us do need to go at this slowly and make changes you can live with for life thats the way you mainatain your weight reduction..
welcome aboard
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mefirstforever responded:
Hi An...
You will loose the weight easily as you are young. Like Judy said the secret will be in maintaining it off.

There is alot of I will not in you plan. It sounds great but unrealistic. You will go out with friends and will have to make the right choices.
Always ask for dressing on the side, and use the tip of you knife to season each bite. you will see that you don't need so much and you will save so much calories. Say no to french fries and sauce white or gravies.
Also you have not mentioned water. I would get myself a nice trendy water jug and some Crystal clear. Avoid the vending machines all sugar and fat. With all the money you will save you could put aside for the nice wardrobed you will need!!!
Add snacks like fresh fruits and vegetables.
Bring your lunch as much as possible.

Don't wait to long for the exercise it will not only help you to loose weight and shape up your silhouette but it is a great way to get the stress out of your system.
Hope to here more about your journey.
helene
p.s. please create a name or character, it's nice to fallow our team members !!!
Helene GW 140 CW 201 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

justmejust replied to mefirstforever's response:
Thanks Judy and Helene for reminding me that the secret is maintaining weight loss. I'm in for the long haul. Plus Helene thanks for reminding me that exercise is a great way to get rid of the stress out of my system. I eat poorly when I am stressed, and bored.

Happy New Year!
Laura
Laura 155 - 198 - 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight.

abnersmom responded:
Welcome! I think this is a great start and I agree that small changes are the best way to begin. Planning ahead for what you will consume during the day has helped me, especially on the days that I do choose to eat out. Tracking your food is a real eye-opener, isn't it? Don't forget to check your nutrients as well. Whole grains and lots of veggies along with water will help keep the "horrible hungries" as Judy calls them away.

Good luck on your journey!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

jean4u responded:
The important thing is to start. Don't try to do too much at first, you can always add on. When we start we get discouraged if not perfect, think progress NOT perfection.

Let us know how you do.

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi An249737,
Drinking pop is never a great idea so your cutting down on that is going to be nothing but beneficial.
I worry that you think that gatorade is a good choice though. Gatorade has TONS of sodium in it, also known as electrolytes. Unless you are suffering from a very bad cold and becoming dehydrated, or are a marathon runner. or work outside in 90 degree heat, you don't need to be drinking it. Excess sodium makes you RETAIN water, that's why it's ok if you are dehydrated, but that extra water retention if you are healthy is very dangerous to your internal organs, especially your heart. If you aren't going to sweat it off, stay away from it and drink water, or sugar free flavored waters.
As for banning ALL junk foods, take it slow.
If you start out making impossible goals to achieve, you are setting yourself up to fail. Every one of us eats out, occasionally. You just have to either make better food choices or order a take away box and only eat HALF of what you order at the restaurant then freeze the reast for later.
Your journey is going to be long and tough. That's just a reality. Because , unlike fad diets, it's forever. It's a lifetime lifestyle change. Do you really want to live it like a monk? Probably not. Allow for some slip ups, some splurges and some celebrations without guilt. Just plan ahead and THINK before you eat.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 180.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I always thought I was thin, I dont know how I had the blinders on, then one day I got on the scale and I was at 171 pounds, that was my turning point...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.