Skip to content
Walking again!
justmejust posted:
Hi everyone!

I walked 1.6 hilly miles on Wednesday with a neighbor, 1.2 flat miles today with another neighbor. Weather is nice!

Weight and food could be better.

Chiropracter started me on side planks last week to strengthen my core, Wednesday we'll add additional strengthening if I do well. She said no running and no jumping jacks for now. Prescribed walking as best exercise for me.

How is everyone else doing with exercise, weight, and diet?
Laura
Laura 155 - 207 - 198 - 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Laura
walking is a great exercise it is the mian exercise I do .
this week am doing my exercise a bit different
I usually walk and hour every morning since I have my grandpuupies again I am walking 1/2 hour in the morning and another half hour in the afternoon it is the same amount of exercise but in 2 parts
My eating is not as good as it should be but I am still doing my nutrition quest...a few days ago I took cookies from the freezer and overindulged again so that is where my eating failed. and my DH is into buying candy and offering it to me ..that is a struggle for my sweet tooth
walking exercises many of your muscles in the core too //
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Good for you, Laura. Those planks are tough but great! Planks are included in the yoga video that I do.

My food is good and thanks to breaks between the rain and nice temps, I've gotten 3 mile walks in 5 times this week. Our classes start again next week so I'm concentrating on building my immune system up with lots of green veggies and citrus (love those Cuties!) before the students get back. I know I'll be exposed to lots of nasty germs.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

jean4u responded:
Good to see you, Laura and that you are progressing in building your strength. Any pain?

I could feel some muscle soreness in right knee when I resumed elliptical. It went away.

I am really working to get re-focused in 2013. Got off to a slow start. Complacency was getting stronger at the end of 2012.

Was stating to doubt my commitment to my journey, but did alot of venting on this diet board and got the support and nudges I needed to get back in the ring.

So here it is the 2nd week of Jan., 2013: Eating alot better, watching hydration, exercising and moving more. Weight: I went up 5 during Dec. and got serious about it Jan. 7 and am down 1.5.

I read an old blog you wrote about adding spinach to your meals. When I went grocery shopping I made sure I bought 2 bags of spinach! Adding veggies to our meals and snacks really helps.

Keep us posted.

Barb

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, my Dh got French fries last night and ate about 3 of them and left them on the counter. The smell was soooo good, I could actually taste them by the smell. I ALMOST caved in. It was a real struggle. Then I got to thinking I could have some of the baked snacks, but this was about 9 pm. so that was still not a good idea because of the sodium.

I'm sure because I did not have the sodium snacks at night, that is why I'm down the 1.5. I had been down .5 earlier in the week.

You have to struggle with the cookies and candy, for me it's the salty/carbs.

Really helps to come here and get my mental "vitamin". Not alone.

Having some licorice spice herbal tea. Can't taste the licorice in it. Ingredients are: licorice root, cinnaomon bark, ginger root, cloves, cardamom seeds and black pepper. I got it when we on a trip from a hotel and have had it for years. It was in one of those sealed packets so still good.

Maybe you could have a hot cocoa when you are getting a craving. That is why I am turning to hot tea.

We can DO this! Happy Saturday!!!

Barb

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, I am eating an orange or grapefruit each day. Heard that citrus promotes metabolism. Like the fiber, too.

I don't think you/we can avoid germs. The best thing is to build our immune systems. Eating healthy and learning about healthy foods is key. Remember the "rainbow" of colors in veggies and fruits. Healthy to eat a rainbow each day!

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Laura, glad that you are able to start working on strengthening your back. Injuries suck and it takes a long time and a whole lot of hard work, to actually get over a harsh one like yours (and Marybeths).
Like Barb, I'm fighting my end of 2012 complacency. I too, was and still am a bit worried about "end of journey" forbodings. I'm on the top of the hump at this point, looking down and looking back and wondering if I can just keep my nails dug in enough to prevent a backslide.
I'm not walking. I haven't for over a month. Had that bad cold before I went North, then was too busy visiting to walk up there, then came home, caught either the same cold or it's ugly cousin and it's been raining so hard I just can't see putting myself out there while sick.
Excuses, all of them.... I know., And THAT folks, is exactly why I'm worried about "the hump".
I'm still holding stubbernly onto the 3 lb holiday gain, but at least it's not gaining on me.
Today is warm, but really rainy again. Periodic rains don't bother me, but when it rains every day, it kinda gets on your nerves. Would be nice to see the sun again.
Having the boys hook the Wii up to the big tv now stored in my bedroom. Perhaps if I get the game up and running, I may actually find the compulsion to use the stupid thing, lol.
It was once my favorite friend, way way back in the beginning of my journey.
Back to basics, right , people? It worked once, it'll darned sure work again.
Square one is only daunting until you progress to the next square.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 183.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, I'd be a liar if I told you it was easy for me to get re-focused and without slips (actually more like re-activating and feeding my salty-snack addiction).

I think what got me back was the frequent posting I did.

I sure hope you stay clear of those nasty colds. Good for you to be up only the 3. I had 5 but am down 1.5. Remember when it wa only .5 and you said that was 2 sticks of butter! So now it is 6 sticks of butter (not on my butt anymore)!

Do the Wii!!!

Let's say it together......we CAN do this!!!

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
LOL, just think what 6 stix of butter laced together and strung across your butt like a string of christmas lights would LOOK like!! If that isn't incentive to keep going.... I don't know what is!
cudos to you for losing those thus far.
Huggs
k

On that note.... I was sitting here feeling really down after these posts today.... looked outside and it'd stopped raining for a bit.
Said , this is it, "put up or shut up", god , I think I'm gonna cry....
yep tears, lol
I'm happy to state.... I just did my mile and I stopped to do my 20 hand rail pushups twice during the walk.
There are about 7 , 20 ft long spots of 3-5 in deep standing water "lakelike puddles" right on the path though, so I came home with soaking wet socks and shoes, but I still made it... And it feels GOOD ! EXCELLANT!!! REVIVIFYING!!!!
Wii is also getting hooked up as soon as I figure out how to stretch, yet again, the amount of outlets in my bedroom to way over capacity, lol....
I figure as long as everything isn't running at the same time, I may be able to avoid a catastrophic fire..... maybe, lol
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 183.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Wet socks! Yaay!!!

You DID it!

Barb

blondie454u responded:
WTG Laura! I am doing well. I walk a 1.6 5 days a work and go to the gym 5 days week as well. I have been doing pretty good with my diet. Glad to hear everyone else is doing well.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

justmejust replied to blondie454u's response:
Thanks everyone,

Still struggling with food. Need to walk again but using below freezing weather for an excuse not to.

Laura
Laura 155 - 207 - 198 - 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight.

jis4judy replied to justmejust's response:
Hi Laura is it really cold in your area ? we had a heat wave this week balmy weather I made soup this week thats why
tomorrow the cold is comeing back so maybe I should make soup again.
I had to unzip my jacket while walking today it was in the high 50s I accualy prefer the colder weather for walking as long as there isn;t ice on the path
Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

justmejust replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy, It is cold and wet and a little icy here. Soup sounds good. I don't know how to make any.

Laura

jis4judy replied to justmejust's response:
Hi Laura makeing home made soup from backs and necks gisards is not very fast it takes a day or 2 to complete the proccess I have a huge stock pot the I use I think it is called sweating the vegies ( onions garlis carrots celery) that useing a bit of canola oil in the pan once you can smell the aroma of the veggies you add in the backs necks etc bay leaves and water to cover simmer slowly for about 3 hours when the bones are cooked enough to break then you strain the solids out of the stockand dicard solids then do the proccess again with the stock in place of the water this creates broth I use a lot of backs and necks maybe from maybe 10 chickens each time once you have broth you put it in container in the fridg over night then the fats are pretty solid on the top of the broth you break it and remove it from the broth discard the excess fat
I add diaganally sliced carrots and celery and cook in broth till tender then make sure you have a breast of chicken you can dice into the soup at the last 10 minutes add another bay leaf and a pinch of dried ginger , this is good soup You can add some comercial packeged broth to make the soup go futher I call that stretching the soup..
Hugs Judy:)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im a 17 year old girl. Next fall i will be a senior in high school. All ive ever wanted is to walk into a room and have people stare cause i look..wel...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar: All you need to know
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/dangers-of-sugar_b_3658061.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.