Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
While researching the 12 step Al anon program....
totallywiggedout posted:
I'm not sure about the 12 step program, lots of religion there, and it would maybe rub some people the wrong way if I make any comments about it, so...
While looking at sites about it, and it's fat sister, overeaters anonymous, lol, I stumbled on this article.
It hits so close to home, while reading it, you will either 1. laugh until you cry or 2. do the exact opposite because it's THAT "real".

http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/advice/inside-overeaters-anonymous
Kim SW 252 CW 183.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
Hi Kim, About 15 years ago, I attended a couple of OA meetings. I found it was not for me, but I have found in the last year or so that identifying "what I'm hungry for" (and it's not food) has helped me with my food addiction. While this board has made a huge impact on my success, doing some work on myself has also made a huge difference. If OA helps someone through the 12 steps of examining one's self, get centered in their lives then I think that's a good thing. For me, this journey has been about working on my spiritual and emotional self as well as the food addiction. Everyone's journey is different and I'm not preaching here because I don't think this is the forum for it, just saying.....
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kim do you think this group is Kinda like OA we all tell our stories only we don't push any religeon type thing although many of us do add our own spiritual component.
now this woman who wrote the article thinks she is an over eater but she has never had a weight problem maybe she just needs more food than the rest of us a high metabolism maybe
lucky girl I would say . this is an example of what is right for me maybe all wrong for someone else.. Her problem of thnking of food maybe from her perception of what proper portions are .
It is different when you are obese from your food addiction.
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
KIm, thanks! I had to conquer the bread basket and white pasta. To see that other people have the same issues helps.

The artticle made me laugh at times and take me back to the dark place, too.

This board has been my source of strength when I needed to get started and when I need to get back.

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, as I get older, I tend to be more spiritually minded. I understand the "big bang theory" but it's evident that from the very beginning of time, that humanoids have believed in a "higher authority". It would just bedraggle my mind too much to try to think that the very first man, without previous knowledge of any "god" could create pictures and pass on stories of one without there actually BEING one.
I think that somewhere, it's in our genetic makeup to believe in something higher, more significant and more pure, than ourselves. That's where I am with it, and that's where I'll leave it, because you are right, we don't push our beliefs onto others, it's their decision to believe (or not) as they please.
Judy, yes, it's very fortunate for that journalist that she isn't heavy. I think that you are quite possibly right, she is missing some important component in her diet, perhaps missing the point of proper portion sizes is part of it. But she does sound like a "binge eater" . although she doesn't purge by the sound of it, she does go overboard with her willingness to let her desires run amok. I'd put it more akin to binge drinkers. The ones that , as long as they have that 12 pk in the fridge, they will drink till it's gone. Then, they can abstain until the next time. Like with drinking college students, it's not an issue, until it becomes one.
Barb, I don't usually go to places with the bread basket. Sometimes we do Mexican and I get a little carried away with the warm chips and salsa, and once in a blue moon we go to Longhorn and do the little warm bread loaves, but other than that, no.
I do know what you are saying about that article taking you to "the dark place" though. That frozen cake, or even the tubs of icing, half of which ends up stuffed into my mouth before I can even think about what I'm doing..... yeh, been there, done that. The tablespoon of "sprinkles" though?? Ummm no, I haven't gotten that far gone yet, lol. but the mental imagery really had me lol there for a couple of min.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 183.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello everyone today I came across this website and decided to be A NEW ME! I will need your help so if you have any for a newbe like can you share? T...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
62 of 77 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.