Skip to content
Just Checking In
apierich posted:
Hi all,
I guess it has been nine months since I have commented on anything on here, I've been busy with kids and work and life in general. I initially stopped as a "vacation" from thinking about dieting and losing weight for myself because it was becoming overwhelming, but I have been lurking.
I was stuck at that 193-194 lb mark for much of that time off, so right before Thanksgiving I gave up and decided that I would eat whatever I felt like whenever I felt like it over the holidays, and I was sure that I was going to gain at least 10 lbs then I would get back to watching what I eat when I start back at work. I was so wrong about the gaining 10 lbs. Instead I lost 5lbs and now my work clothes definitely don't fit. They were loose before the holidays but now they are falling off. What I did find through this experience though is a lot of the healthy changes I made for myself stuck even if I wasn't consciously working towards them, which gives me hope for maintenance later. I let myself eat however much of whatever, but after a year of watching how much I was eating, I couldn't eat a whole lot of anything. I also was not interested in high calorie high sugar high sodium foods. Ok, there were some snicker doodles, brownies, chocolate cake, and pepperoni, but not very often. I have been wondering if I was eating too little and that is why I was maintaining instead of losing. I will say one thing though; since I started work again a couple weeks ago I have been craving sugar much more than usual, and fighting that with lots of extra water. Every time I want sugar I just have a big cup of cold water to fill my stomach and it staves it off for a while.
Anyway, the kids are doing great; the four year old is now in an eating cycle. She is even eating meat, which she has never been a big fan of, mostly because we explained that since she is in a ballet class now she needs to make sure she is taking care of her muscles and bones by giving them the nutrition that they need. I also put my soon to be 8 year old son in a jazz dance class. His dad finally gave up on pushing him into sports when he coached his flag football team this fall and my son was the only one not really interested in playing. My husband would be on the field coaching the kids and really getting into the game, our son would be on the sideline chasing crickets and pretending he was a dinosaur. To give my husband credit, it was our son's idea to be in flag football and my husband was approached by the head of the program to be a coach when they split up from the instructional practices to teams. After the month of twice a week football games, my husband threw his hands up and said "Put him in whatever you want, he's not interested in focusing on sports right now." My son's class has two other boys and like 6 girls ("two girls for every boy") and I am hoping with his always wanting to do anything to impress girls that positive peer pressure will set in on him focusing on his body use in space. He's a little spazy (not in a medical way, in a I don't want to sit still so I jump around without thinking first) so it is an issue. My three year old now feels left out because her birthday is after the deadline so she can't join a dance class till the fall at the studio but the local high school dance squad is holding a clinic next month that we are going to sign her up for. It's a month long and ends with a performance at a high school basketball game. She is really super shy so she may not actually perform but I will let her decide then. I just want them all to have a focus for their extra energy because I can't take my house being torn apart and don't want them sitting around like zombies.
My husband graduated from college, finally, and has an audition with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra next month. We are both so excited even though he probably won't get it, the audition experience is what he needs to get out there. Sorry for the novel.
apierich- SW 249 GW 145 CW 188

maybembt responded:
Welcome back Apierich and congratulations on the holiday weight loss. Your healthy lifestyle couldn't get derailed by the holidays even when you were willing to slip a little. Way to go! The fact that you ate more and still lost weight must mean you were eating too little. Now the trick is to find a right eating for the rest of the year. Again congrats!

I too saw that the new lifestyle affected my holiday eating. I did gain 10 lbs. But I was not happy eating, and I couldn't wait to get back to my fruits and veggies.
Marybeth 228-203-150

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

blondie454u responded:
Kudos to you! Healthy eating and portion control became natural for you. Being a busy mom and wife gets so crazy at times. Everybody strives for your attention but don't forget you need attention too. Try to stay focused on you too. I hope you have a healthy and happy year!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

abnersmom responded:
Glad you checked in, apierich! Congrats on the loss and your healthy eating! Sounds like you are keeping busy and the kids are doing well.

Congrats also to your hubby and wish him luck with the interview.

Happy New Year!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

jis4judy responded:
Good Job apierich
On recognising you may have been cutting back a bit too much , thats a real killer of motivation starveing ..
I accually in my first year of my journey removed some weight over the holidays the extra cals accually reset your metabolism just don;t make a habit of extra everyday ..
The Idea is to flucuate your calories but maintain an average of whatever you decide is best for me it was 1500 I had days of 1300 and 1800 in my week and all the number between as long as the average over the week was 1500ish I was good .

Good luck to your hubby on the interview
and raiseing kids is kinda hard to guide them to their best selves . My Daughter was a dancer she danced around the house a lot so I enrolled her in dance school she hated it we found other stuff she liked girl scouts and something called brigadettes. also a gymnastics class was a big hit .

My son was easier he liked playing baseball little league was great for him ... he even signed up for football and said it wasnt worth the time all that practice and barley playing one play per game ..
we learn by doing that for sure
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Spotlight: Member Stories

05/26/14 starting weight - 230.8 05/29/14- 226.0 06/02/14-

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.