Skip to content
just stuff
abnersmom posted:
I found two recipes on Pinterest and am going to get the ingredients tomorrow and try them this weekend. If they are good, I will share them on the recipe blog. One is for a healthy tomato soup and the other is for broccoli slaw used instead of pasta with marinara sauce. We shall see.

I have to laugh at myself sometimes because I am so weird. Here I am, almost two years into this journey and I looked in the mirror this morning and was still amazed/shocked at the change in my body. I still expect to see the old me in the mirror - it's a bizarre feeling. I was obese for most of my life so I guess it's going to take a while to get used to.

Hope everyone's having a good week. We've had several days of sunshine although temps have been below normal. The sunshine sure has improved my mood. Longing for spring in TN....
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jean4u responded:
Hi Debbie, Congrats on sticking with your journey! Isn't it interesting how we are still surprised by our bodies. I have been a yo-yo dieter and have kept clothes from when my weight was down. I have also tried to fit into some of these things and could not most times.

Your blog totally triggered what happened yesterday. I got out one of "those sweaters" I had outgrown. A classic "cashmere" baby blue v-neck sweater w/fitted long sleeves. When I put it on I held my breath....it fit. I wore it proudly to bowling (4 games).

I'm glad that you shared your feelings about what you saw in the mirror. I hope we never lose that feeling of amazement.

RE; The recipes you mentioned, I have made a veggie stew out of the broccoli slaw. Sautee onion, celery and add mushrooms, carrots and tomato sauce and then the broccoli slaw. I have added kidney beans or any other beans (rinsed) to this. It freezes well, too. Good for a side or lunch add on. I especially like a bowl of this w/small side of low fat cottage cheese or a small dab of Greek yogurt.

BTW, I am going to share this one. I was mall-walking and ran into some ballroom dance ladies. I said I was "mall-walking" they commented "Oh you don't have to do that". In my head "Oh yes I do" that is how I get to look like this (not perfect mind you, but not bad either).LOL

What you say about longing for Spring...they are showing the pastels in the windows at the mall...lavenders, peach and aqua colored clothing. I'm going to hunt for these colors in the clothes I can now fit into (big smile in my head).

Please share the new recipes.

BTW, I was watching a Meryl Streep movie "Margaret Thatcher" and for photos Margaret would say "shoulders back and tummies in". I say that to myself because I have a tendency to slouch and not hold my tummy in. Just makes you look better and good for the muscles to do this.

Enjoy the sun and keep up the good work!

Barb

abnersmom replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks Barb! Woohoo on the sweater fitting! And I love the story about the ladies at the mall. Obviously, you look like someone who never has to worry about their weight. Even though WE know how much work and discipline is involved, it's okay if they think that, right?

Have fun digging out those clothes that you can wear again. I'm keeping an eye out for sales on spring things or everyone's gonna call me droopy drawers. LOL!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

blondie454u responded:
You're doing so well on your journey! I still do the samething when I look in the mirror. I even walk by it be like wow I'm small. It's such a great feeling.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

blondie454u replied to jean4u's response:
Barb your story at the mall is funny! Most ppl think that skinny ppl don't have to work to be skinny. That's just so funny. They need to follow us around for a day and they would see.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jean4u replied to blondie454u's response:
Amber, I think it's so important to share the day-to-day experiences here. When we start this journey, there are so many times when I thought "why is this so hard and when will I see results and do I have to do this FOREVER". Now I know when we commit to living healthy the answers are there along with seeing those results in the mirror.

Barb

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, I bought the Chia seeds (white ones). So far I've put it in tomato juice and pea soup (I added chopped cooked cauliflower also). Can't really taste them, just a bit of crunch.

I found a recipe for Refrigerator Oatmeal using these seeds that people seem to rave about. It is in www.skinnytaste.com and theyummylife.com.

The more I read about these seeds I get a kick. Like these are the seeds used for "Chia Pets". LOL I might get the green spiked hair. LOL!!! My DH will get a laugh for sure!

Barb

P.S. They do have a "cleansing effect" like flax seeds.

Hey Barb, I didn't see the white Chia seeds at Whole Foods, just the black ones. Is there a difference? I know that Barbara's (smilingcats) hubby thinks they are fab too. I'll check out the oatmeal recipe. Thanks.

Amber, So you still are surprised at your reflection after all this time? I guess I'm not so weird after all. Another think I love about this board, it seems like no matter what we experience someone has had the same experience. There's a lot of comfort in that.

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie the black ones are supposed to have 10-12%more anti Oxidents than the white I googled it
Otherwise no difference But I was thinking if you were useing them in gel form in a baked good the white maybe better incase of replaceing part of butter with it not sure if the color of it would make it look weird/ the instructions were to get the seeds with water and replace 1/3 of the fat in a recipe with the same amount of Gel
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

The recipes showed the result of using the black ones. When I went to GNC, though they had both (black or white). I chose the white because I thought they might blend better in foods (not the black dots). I didn't even think about how they might get stuck in my teeth if I choose to sprinkle them on foods and not make that gel (letting them sit in liquid and then add to foods or smoothies). I read you can grind them, too. I probably will get around to grinding some in my DH's coffee bean grinder and carry some in a small pill container for eating out. Sort of like that "Sensa" stuff....ha, ha, the "poor gal's Sensa". You know that expensive stuff to shake on food. BUT this (Chia) is nutritious and cheap!

BTW, the "white" ones are light and dark gray.

I'm not sure if it's the effect of the seeds or placebo effect but I don't seem to be as hungry. Portion control seems to be better. These seeds may be a useful "tool" for maintenance or when struggling with hunger.

Did "Smilingcats" mention how her DH used them?

Barb

Here is the link to our discussion of chia seeds:

http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2241

You ARE good!

I posted on that link about trying the chias and here I am a YEAR later getting around to IT!

Thanks,

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb don;t eat too many chia seeds they can cause a lot of gas and bloating also not good for anyone takeing blood thinners . Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, so far no problems, just positive for me.

Livestrong.com has ALOT of info on the Chia seeds for anyone wanting to read up.

Thanks, though for your search info always good to have more.

Barb

Geez! I never got around to trying the recipes this weekend. I did put that rainbow slaw in my salad though and it was a delicious addition and added some crunch (fyi , just broccoli, red and green cabbage, cauliflower, carrots shredded in a bag). I do like buying my broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in those prewashed bags. They're organic and a little pricey, but saves me time after work and I get my good veggies!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 27 years old. I had a baby girl 11/22/09 and she is my reason for changing my life. I am 5 ft 6 in and 225lbs I have been over weight nearly all ...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.