Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to community
1appleaday posted:
Good afternoon all!

Here I am, another try at losing weight....I just can't give up! I haven't tried the "community support" method, and have heard many great ideas aout it, so here I go......

I am a single female, age 52, and I would like to lose at least 50 pounds by June. Is this an unrealistic goal? Can I do it? My exercising consists of: walking my dog at the beach and thru out my neighborhood & gardening. I wish flapping my jaws could count as exercise....sigh. I do have a NordicTrac, currently gathering dust bunnies (literally, cause my "Bunny Man" sheds so much), and a stationary bike set-up. I have used them in the past, but after a few days, I kinda, sorta, give it up. Any thoughts on this? Help!!!

Thanks so much, all! Have a wonderful day!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi 1 appleaday
welcome aboard . My best way to start is to become aware of your present eating habits and change them one at a time to healthier portion controled servings . the exercise walking is great I walk outdoors I like seeing nature as I walk...
and lift some free weights on non consecutive days

I hear you on the machines they aren't usfull to me either I have a recumbent boke I use when the weather is to dangerous to walk outdoors that means it is icey I can still walk in snow raing shine whatever else even cold temps gotta bundle up for those days

look within to figure out how you gained the weight in the first place ..then stop doing that.
for me I ate too much of nearly everything but the biggest obstacle I had was icecream that made every diet I tried fail.
so I made a deal with myself if I ate good nutrition for 30 days then and only then I could get 1 serving of icecream at an icecream shoppe worked good for me because that Icecream was so desireable that I stayed on plan the whole 30 days then set it in moion another 30 days even if I slipped up after 29 days that started it going again well I got that icecream maybe 6 times the first year I totally forgot about it in some of the following years the rule is the same for me never in the house ...
I call my journey Judys Nutrition Quest
It was embarked on the help my body heal itself the weiht loss was a delightfull surprise
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Welcome 1apple, glad you joined us.
50 lbs is quite a bit to lose by June. It's possible, but it's not recommended to lose more that 2 lbs a week . That's pretty much the goal, while eating a healthy balanced diet.
I get where you're coming from about the exercise machines and equipment. My weight machine is a pretty good clothes rack too, it's where i hang my bras to dry, lol.
Walking the dog is great exercise, especially at the beach because the loose sand actually burns more energy to walk on than sidewalks do. Make sure that you aim for at least a brisk 30 min walk in the AM and one in the PM if you can squeeze it in.
Start a food and fitness planner here on WebMd or the one on Fitday.com. they are both free and easy to use. You sound fairly active, but put in that you are doing the LEAST activity level possible from the choices on the charts. that way, it'll give you a more accurate reading of how many calories and how much exercise to shoot for every day.
Please try to be religious about logging your foods. Measure all of your food servings so that you know exactly how much to log. You have to add in everything, creamers, oils that you cook in and , if you "taste" while cooking, add in 8 calories per taste. You will be surprised to see just how much you are actually eating at the end of the day. But it's really the only way to see, to visualize how much you are consuming.
Drink 64 oz of water every day.
hope this helps some
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 181.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

1appleaday replied to jis4judy's response:
Hello Judy,

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement and support. I totally agree with you re: looking within and figuring out why I gained weight in the first place. This will be my starting point and I look forward to discovering my strengths and weaknesses. Oh yes, ice cream. I too, cannot have it in my house. Dangerous stuff, that ice cream. I like your idea of rewarding yourself every thirty days though. I think I just may try it also! Again,thank you so very much!

1appleaday replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for your reply. I love this site already. After reading your story, I have a renewed sense of commitment and "excitement" for accomplishing my weight loss goals.

As for the amount of weight I'd like to lose by June, I agree with the 2 pounds per week. So I may be close to my 50 pound mark in June (positive thoughts here), but by all means, I will be continuing on until I reach my goal weight of 140.

Exercise, exercise, exercise.....Yep, I do try to stay active, cause if ya don't use it, you lose it. Having had one knee replacement, I am so trying to avoid having it done again. One of the best ways I can prevent this, is to lose weight. Proper nutrition is great, however, exercise is an important component of the weight loss plan I am embarking upon. So, tomorrow morning, I will take my first a.m. walk!

8 calories per taste? Yikes! I will be measuring and logging my meals and snacks. I need this to keep myself accountable and as you suggested, to actually see what I eat each day.

I thank you again for your kindness and support, and look forward to keeping on track with this wonderful community.

nitey nite!
Michelle

abnersmom replied to 1appleaday's response:
Welcome Michelle! This is a great support group. Judy and Kim have already given you great advice. Exercise is the toughest part of this journey for me. Although I love to walk my dog outdoors; after a long day at work, It's really hard for me to get my butt out the door. Having said that, I still firmly believe that control of portions, nutrition and calories is THE key to removing weight. Judy and Kim have both had remarkable improvements in their health due to eating more nutritiously.

Good luck on the 50 lbs. by June.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

jean4u responded:
Michelle,

Welcome here! Glad you got started on your journey,

Now you will see that all of here are a bit different in how we do our plan.I learned alot by reading others blogs and thinking hmmm, some I do and some I don't.

You need to make your plan what will work for you in your day to day life.

I find that I do best by making a plan for my day. What I will drink, eat and what I will do for exercise. If I get it right by 80%, that is good enough.

PROGRESS not perfection. Trying to perfect will not happen and then we stop trying.

Let us know how you do.

BTW, I bought an elliptical and did not use it for 3 months. I use it about 4 times a week now for 1 hr. I started by 15 min. I also walk for 1 hr. at mall 4 times. I use one of those Pedlars when I watch TV so I can peddle.

I did the small changes in healthier eating and cutting back on white carbs and then tracked water and then started walking and adding on. BTW the more I stuck with it, the scale did go down!

You CAN do this!

Barb

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout replied to 1appleaday's response:
Michelle, I do a standard 8 cals per taste because I was a SEVERE taster when cooking. LOL
Since some things are thinner in cals and some thicker, I decided that 8 calories was pretty close an average , and I'll tell you , I've NOT been such an avid taster ever since I've been adding them up ... tee hee
Barb is right. Since this isn't a "diet" this only works for you because YOU are totally in charge. You are the one to pick and choose what sounds right, to try it, to use it or discard it , to make it fit into your lifestyle.
Certain exercises may sound like good ideas, I actually tried the hoola hoop, I failed and it sits, but it wasn't too expensive and maybe when I lose a bit more, I'll be able to get the hang of it,..... the idea is to be open to new ideas about exercising, or where you can burn calories and HAVE FUN.
Like swinging at the playground.... did you know you burn 100 calories an hour, swinging?
Playgrounds are WAY more fun now . No bullies around calling us fatties, lol
I also do my (now infamous) Walmart walking... Go to walmart, grab a cart and either 50 lbs of dogfood or some charcoal, and using the outside aisle, push that sucker around the store at a good clip for an hour... without hitting pedestrians, you will prolly get about 8-10 good laps. Then put your items away and go home. It's free and sorta fun because it gets you outta the house even on rainy days.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

1appleaday replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Judy,

You are too funny! I've found that I don't sample taste as much either, just in the day and a half since I've started. I'm really going to try for "no more spoon Licking" and all other such related activities.....

Diet, the infamous four letter word. I view this as a positive life changing experience. Better health, improved self sense and all those other great things associated with weight loss. I appreciate every bit of wisdom (and wit) which everyone has generously shared with me and I will glean those ideas which are compatible with my lifestyle.
So keep on sharing!

Hmm, swinging on swings sounds much funner than stacking wood, but I see where you're coming from re: being open to new ideas. So maybe I need to try the swings again, I've liked it in the past

Hahahahaha, there you go again, I just love your Walmart exercise regieme. What a terrific idea! I think I'll take a cruise thu Target with a bag or two of pet food. Will get me out of the house and have fun and fitness at the same time.

Well, gotta run, I hear a hedge that needs pruning, calling my name....Have a wonderful day all...

Bye for now,
Michelle

jis4judy replied to 1appleaday's response:
Hi 1Appleaday
I think your post was for Kim she is a riot sometimes I love her posts too
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Yeh, that was mine, Judy I'm truly thankful that she skipped making a comment about my hoola hoop collecting dust , lol
huggs
k

1appleaday replied to jis4judy's response:
Ooops, so sorry Judy......guess my fingers got ahead of my brain hahahaha

And Kim, I DO like the hoola hoop idea, but where did you find one? Also, can you help me figure out how to calculate calories used for rocking chair activity?

Bye for now!
Michelle

totallywiggedout replied to 1appleaday's response:
Good day, Michelle. The hoola hoop, I bought a cheapy lg kids hoop at a local sporting goods store. The best ones are also in the sporting goods but are weighted. Usually found in a box in pieces that you snap together, over by the women's weights and yoga stuff. I didn't know if I could do it, so I got the cheap one first, thank goodness. The others run about 20.00 I think.
Rocking chair activity?? Are you sitting in it or lifting it??? lol
ok ok sitting and rocking..... ummmmm... I did find a mothering web site where the writer suggested that rocking for an hour probably burns 150 cals per hour. Another states that a 120lb person burns 56 calories per hour, just sitting. so the rocking chair quote may be close to correct.

Honeeeee , give me something hard! LOL you can google just about ANYTHING!

hope this helps
huggs
kim

jean4u replied to 1appleaday's response:
Michelle & Kim, Re; HOOLA HOOPING, even if you get one and can't do it around waist/or hips, you CAN use it with your arms. Look up hoola hoop exercises on YOU tube for ideas.

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 27 years old with a ten month old daughter...I have been heavyset all my life and as i got into high school my weight dropped well ive been going...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar's effect on your body.
An hour and a half long but worth it. I will watch this multiple times until I know it by heart. Sugar leads to the immediate formation of ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.