Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to this board
tnmist posted:
Hello. You look like a friendly bunch. May I come play in your sandbox awhile? Truthfully, I have over 100 lbs to lose, but it seems that this board is a bit more active, and I hope you don't mind if I gravitate this way. If you think it will be helpful to myself and others to post over there, too or instead, just let me know your thoughts about that.

I have been a member in another community at WebMD for a year now, and that one most probably addresses the WHY of my weight issue (SA Survivors board). I think I'm now ready to also start tackling the weight/health issue(s) itself at this point.

I can probably list 100 changes I need to make in my life just with health alone, and I know I can't work on every one of them all at once, but I have started on that "list" by changing my nighttime habits (more sleep, no food at night, etc.), eliminating all soda and working on eliminating all caffeine, and drinking a whole bunch more water. The sleep issue is a biggie because my sleep is sporadic, and I know it must play a detrimental role to my overall health. I have a sedentary type of job/lifestyle and don't need more than 2 meals a day, and I'm trying to eliminate snacking by drinking that water instead.

A couple of weeks ago, I did great, for a whole week (eyes rolling upward), but I'm already struggling to keep those new habits going.

I know there are tons of more things to add to my list - meal planning, regular exercise, etc., but I'm at least putting all this on my radar to start with. I don't really care for a lot of advice about food and stuff because I have a lot of head knowledge; it's the motivation and putting that knowledge into action that I lack.

I will tell you that if you feel moved to give me advice, I will always accept it gratefully; I'm just saying that the topic is not foreign to me - the application is!

As for exercise, I just want to start by walking my dog. He has a large fenced-in backyard, so I've not done that on a regular basis, but I do want to START there. I also have a bad knee, but I have a knee brace and avoid cement-type of trails/sidewalks, and walking is still doable. Plus, past experience tells me that the knee pain will lessen when I start dropping the weight.

This post is long, sorry about that. I do have a question, though. As far as keeping a food diary - is that a crucial part to permanent weight loss? I guess that will keep me honest, eh? I just dread that sort of thing, but I would like to know the board's thoughts on that. Also, what are your thoughts on some of those weight loss plans/trackers here and about? Are they very useful? (I used to be vegetarian, strayed, but becoming diligent again, with the goal of a totally plant-based diet.) OH, and, um, I just can't bring myself to POST my starting weight yet. It's shameful to me.

Thank you so much for "listening!"

-Misty

totallywiggedout responded:
Helloooooo, MISTY!!!! WELCOME to the sandbox. Kick yer shoes off and wiggle yer toes with us. It's exercise, after all, lol
Walking is an excellant exercise, because you can literally do it ANYWHERE, do it faster as you get used to it, and longer when you get ready to. It's good for the mood, the joints, and for losing weight... Everyone else here does at least some form of walking as , I believe, their main mode of exercise.
Our blog is the ONLY place to land. We are not only like a safe haven in heavy storms, but Paradise, lol
Yes, the food and fitness planner is a very good tool, Either this one, or the one on Fitday.com if you prefer that one.
I count it as NECESSARY and it gets quite addictive when you get going with it. You will find yourself signing in just to chart your intake and exercises, then blog, maybe even several times a day, lol
When you fill it in, make sure to put in that you are the LEAST active choice for exercist ATM. this will give you the best possible recommendations for daily caloric intake and exercise output to shoot for. When I say , to shoot for, I mean that. It's a target, especially when you first start out, You may often miss that target, but don't give up.... practice makes perfect and you will get better at finding better , healthier food choices and making up recipes, plus finding "your groove" with fitness choices and physical ability , as you go along.
Dont beat yourself up if you don't make goal. It's a journey, not a diet. It is for the rest of your life , made up of your own personal choices, not written in stone by some unknown entity that makes a million on other peoples suffering, and who has probably never been Obese in their life.
This blog helps immesurably. Someone is always here, or near to help out. We chat about EVERYTHING, lol. This really is more like a cul de sac in a very friendly small town. We are all neighbors that open our side windows to call out to the "girl next door" about what's on for the weekend..... sounds nice doesn't it?
Stick around, you'll see what I mean.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 181.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Misty! i love your long post. Congratulations on wanting to be a healthier you! Don't worry about posting your starting weight. Do this YOUR way, but this group does have great success stories and they are worth listening to. I NEVER told anyone, not even my closest friends my weight until I came here. It was a major breakthrough for me in being honest with myself about my food addiction.

I believe logging your food is CRITICAL to your success. Make small changes along the way that you can live with. Otherwise, you will just be overwhelmed and quit. We all do this a little differently, but there is a common thread here. No processed foods, lean proteins, low fat dairy, lots of veggies and some fruit. AND none of us are perfect at this. We all slip from time to time, but the support you will get here will get you right back on track!

I read a quote yesterday and it was something to the effect that too many of us focus on the long road ahead and not on how far we've come. I know I did at first. Every little change you make in your life for the better should be celebrated. Please don't focus only on how much weight you need to lose, but pat yourself on the back for every mental, physical, whatever kind of change you make!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

jis4judy responded:
Hi Misty welcome aboard My accuall High weight I am not even sure I know it because I was on my plan a few months before I started weighing myself . My Plan was for better nutrition wasn;t even thinking of removeing weight because i had allready come to the conclusion that it was impossable for me to remove weight, My daughter noticed i was getting smaller so I started weighing found this board and learned a lot about healthy choices and portion control.
I am glad you are joining us we love newbies because the more people that join us the more we learn from each other .Kim and Debbie allready filled in the basics for avoiding proccessed foods things in packages . learn to read labels and avoid trans fats other wise known as partially hydrogenated oils and try not to get a lot of sugars too,,
if you have trigger foods identify them and stop buying them
these are my best clues
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

tnmist replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging words and tips. Sure is apreciated. I have a correction: I mentioned that I was a member of another community for a year, but actually I have been dealing with some heavy stuff for a year and have been a member of the other community only since August.

Anyway, I love the picture of a cul-de-sac and giving a shout-out to the neighbor nextdoor. Great word picture.

Oh, yes, avoiding partially hydrogenated oil and high-fructose corn syrup are important.

I will brave the on-line fitness planner and a food log and let you know how it goes, ha. I know I need to get real and quit fooling myself. I'm finally miserable enough to change, ha.

-Misty

jean4u responded:
MISTY,

WELCOME here!

When I got started I was posting and reading all the Diet boards. For me, the important thing was staying started and reading and posting did that for me.

I had/have alot of bad habits. It takes time to change and it is hard at times to be patient with ourselves.

You/we are more than that number on the scale. But eventually that number does create health issues and dictates how we can live our lives and the choices get smaller and smaller. Living a healthier life gives us freedom that is very empowering.

Barb

tnmist replied to jean4u's response:
Appreciate the words of encouragement. Needed that. Rough weekend, but it's the start of a new week, so time to shake it off and make good choices. I'm tired of reacting to personal turmoil by making poor food choices. Have to find a healthier outlet. I keep dreaming that one day I'll enjoy exercise, LOL.

Misty

jean4u replied to tnmist's response:
Yep, I got a sodium over load Sunday. I'm going for a meatless Monday, low sodium day. Maybe that will help.

Got to say, I wasn't a big fan of exercise, either. I started walking 15 min. most days and added to that.

What you say about personal turmoil and poor food choices.....is a vicious circle. Stuff is going to happen that we can't control and that can lead us to eating for comfort, only it doesn't last, the comfort. For me, eating white carbs and salty foods is where I went for comfort and it created the endless pit because I was constantly hungry. When I eat low-carb and small amounts of low-fat protein I am not feeling starved.

Barb

abnersmom replied to tnmist's response:
Hi Misty, Ugh, I feel yucky this morning after overindulging on wings and such last night at a super bowl party. It was fun and I enjoyed it, but I feel hungover and it's from food not alcohol! BUT, you're so right! Today's a new day and I'm back on track knowing that I will feel so much better tomorrow.

hang in there with the food tracker, It's a pain in the butt at first but once you have the foods that you typically eat saved in there, it gets much easier and less time consuming.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, I am referring to today as "reel it in Monday"!

Barb

kalimiller responded:
Welcome Misty!!

I think that it is important for you to log your food. I don't do it everyday - maybe three days a week or so. Just when I remember to do it. It is important to see just how much you are eating. The days that I do keep track I make sure to be specific and get every little thing down that I ate. The days that I don't track, I try to still be pretty aware of what I'm eating. I will still measure out food for myself and eat as well as I can.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

tnmist replied to kalimiller's response:
Thank you, Kali and everyone. Wow, this is a lively board. I'm not used to that, ha. Not sure I can keep up with all the banter, but hope you know it's all appreciated.

I did register on the WebMD food/fitness planner thingy, but I admit it is a bit daunting! Maybe I'll just keep a simple diary of what I'm eating/drinking for now and ease my way into some of the nitty-gritty later, not sure. I just want simple. To be honest, I just want to choose/plan healthier food to begin with and worry more about portions later. My habits are just awful, so just choosing healthy has to be a foot in the right direction.

One thing I want to commit to is a processed dessert fast. So, I'm going to state it right here and let ya'll hold me accountable, okay? I want to purge toxins from my body, too, and if anyone has suggestions regarding that, I'm all ears. I should Google it, I suppose. Must be other stuff to do besides abstaining from sweets, right?

Glad to hear there are a couple more TN folks here. I'm a transplant, but I just love this state. I'm in the far southeastern end of things, and I'm glad we were spared from the tornados last week (for a change).

Catch up with you later. I'm trying to be good, ha.

Misty

kalimiller replied to tnmist's response:
It is pretty daunting to look at the numbers and percentages, calculate amounts, etc., etc.,...

One thing that you might try and do is just log for one or two days just to see sort of how things are going for you. Just so you have some sort of idea of what is going on. Those first couple of logs were real eye openers for me.

Definitely taking it one step at a time is the best way to go. Doing too much at once will be overwhelming and send you looking for familiarity - which for most of us has been eating food.

Got it. No processed desserts for you. OR ELSE. Muah haha.

As far as toxin purges, your body does a good job on it's own of doing that. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to just drink lots of water. That can help to clear your system as well. Those 24 or 48 hour "cleanses" don't really do much for you. In fact, they can be really bad.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

blondie454u replied to tnmist's response:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jean4u replied to tnmist's response:
Misty, Kali gave you some good tips. Just remember we are all different and need to find and do this our way. What you said about processed desserts made me recall that I used to buy at least two Hostess desserts to keep in the pantry. I did not give these up at first. I had to stop eating the white pasta AFTER dinner. That was my first step.

I did not get into portion control in the beginning. Did not watch hydration, either. These were slow additions to my plan. I find that using the same size bowls for foods really helps me, i.e. I use the same bowl for salads, fruits and yogurt.....takes the guesswork out. I don't calorie count, per se, but I read labels and watch carbs.

I began by trying, I say trying, because I had numerous "slips" back to eating that pasta after dinner. I had to get it in my head that a slip does not have to mean a total failure......I like the example, just because you get a traffic ticket, are you going to break all the driving laws that day! We got to get our heads right before this will stick.

About keeping up with the banter.....we need to speak our minds. Even if we don't get a response, it just helps to get it out.

Barb

P.S. I have not been big sweet eater but once I got going on those Hostess twinkies, etc. I could not stop. I found that eating healthy helps to cut down, (not out), on the cravings.

Spotlight: Member Stories

How can a person be obese when they are surrounded by malnourishment and poverty? How can they live with themselves? How can a missionary help the poo...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar's effect on your body.
An hour and a half long but worth it. I will watch this multiple times until I know it by heart. Sugar leads to the immediate formation of ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.