Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Haven't been around in a long time
beautifulbuffalo posted:
I'm trying to lose weight. I weight 264. Alot was medicine and I've finally gotten off that one. But I sit at home all day on disability reitrement and I babysit for my grandson of 18 months. I find i eat because I'm bored. I need help.. Please somebody help me.
BB
FirstPrevious12NextLast

maybembt responded:
BB
That's good news that you are off that medicine. Maybe you will have better luck losing that weight. I can relate to boredom eating. I find that if I am busy, eating really isn't a big problem. When your grandson is taking a nap, do you have something to occupy your time? Do you have a hobby? How about an exciting book? How about filling your frig with healthy snacks? Perhaps you could cut up a variety of veggies that can be grabbed easily when you open the frig. Don't try to make too many changes at once. Just take baby steps.
Marybeth 228-203-150

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

blondie454u responded:
Start with your diet. Replace process foods with fresh foods. Drink lots of water.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi BB,
Time to get as active as that grandson of yours. Little kids love to dance, my kids loved Raffi and the Disney sing a long tapes. Find some videos with music and dancing for little kids and pop em into the dvd player, then, get up and dance with him!
Also, do you have a swingset with a safety seat for him? Push him for at least 1/2 an hour, even if he falls asleep, keep pushing. It's great exercise.
Grab his stroller and take a walk. Stop being bored because there is alot you can do with a toddler. You just have to GET UP and get moving.
Pack small , healthy snacks for both of you, like baby carrots and peanut butter for you and peanut butter crackers for him. or a trail mix with air popped popcorn , raisins , peanuts , or any other dried fruits.
You don't say what your disability is exactly. I have found some really great exercises that are online , FREE and downloadable.
Here's the link for a 12 min seated exercise, you don't have to join sparkpeople unless you want to, but just close that popup window if not.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=42

kim
Kim SW 252 CW 181.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u responded:
Hi BB, Boredom is tough, but you got to get a handle on mindless eating. Try to go longer and longer without snacking thats will help. You can change we are here to support you!

Barb

j9celeste responded:
Hello there BB

Making the decision that you want to make a change is sometimes the hardest part...good for you! And you're being so honest about the problem instead of making excuses. That's great!

My 9 month old grandson lives with me, and he's getting to the point now that I can barely keep up! It's really tough to get up and chase after him...follow him around...but it's rewarding and really burns up the calories! Kim had some fabulous ideas! I use the WebMD Food and Fitness planner, but I know that there are other sites that show you different daily activities and how many calories they burn. You will be happily surprised how many calories you burn chasing after that little bundle of love!

We're pulling for you!

Celeste
The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you that YOU love, well that's just fabulous. SW 286 CW 268

beautifulbuffalo replied to maybembt's response:
Yes the medicine is finally stopped and I'm sleeping finally after 3 years of taking it. I have trouble concentrating and focusing but yes I have many books to read. I tried doing some drawing but that is coming slow.

beautifulbuffalo replied to blondie454u's response:
I have trouble drinking water, can't stand the taste. I drink about 4 bottles of Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi and Fat Free Milk.

beautifulbuffalo replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Can't do the outdoor things as it is cold here. But we do play music videos and I do what I can. I have all joint pain and fibromialga along with some mental issues of depression, anxiety and ptsd.

BB

beautifulbuffalo replied to j9celeste's response:
My grandson lives with us also. His Mom is in the middle of a divorce and she had no place to go and I had just gone on disability retirement. Some retirement a baby tossed in your lap at soon to be 50. I'm desperate to lose weight. I lose a pound here and there then gain it back. I thought losing weight slowly would keep it off. I can't get on the floor because I have a severe back problem. I've had 2 surgeries and 1 surgery on my neck. With your grandson around do you feel like your missing the outside world,
Thanks for being there I need someone out there. Need a penpal.
BB

jis4judy replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Hi BB about the water you could add a slice of lemon to it and that improves the taste thats my favorite way to spice the water
diet products are really anti weight loss so you would be better off ditching the diet soda keep the fat free milk though very healthy for your bones ...
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Hi BB about not being able to get on the floor when I started I did crunches and leg lifts in my bed it does require a firm mattress though doesn;t work well in a water bed LOL
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

kalimiller replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Like Judy said, you could add lemon to the water. Or you could get the little flavor packets to flavor your water - just make sure that they are sugar free!
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

tnmist replied to kalimiller's response:
Hi, BB, welcome. Gotta chime in about the water! I, too, sometimes add a little lemon juice or lime juice. I discovered I especially liked lime water. It's hard to ditch soda when used to it, but the great news is our taste buds can be retrained. Just ask anyone who was forced into a low-salt diet. Given some tme they usually don't like salty food anymore. Same with our liquids. There really is no redeeming quality to soda anyway - can cause kidney stones, it steals calcium out of your bones, and, for me, about 20 mins after I drink soda all my joints (especially wrists, knees, ankles) start to ache. That was incentive enough to ditch the soda.

Oh, on rare occasions I sometimes have a LITTLE bit because I do like the flavor, but since I'm trying to push the water I can't do both - that's just too much potty time, LOL.

Oh, one other thing with water, I run mine through a filter (e.g., brita) because I live in the city and I can smell the chlorine - blech. That just can NOT be good for me, ha.

Keep reading and writing. This is a great spot to land.

Misty

totallywiggedout replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Hi BB,
Judy is right about adding something to the water to make offset the "taste" or even the tastelessness.
Lemon or orange slices, cucumber slices, or fresh sprigs/leaves of herbs like mint, lavender, rosemary or even rose hips.
There's lots you can do. Personally I don't drink cold water. For one thing, I like to really chug mine and I tend to get brain freeze if it's too cold, and another thing is that cold water has a metalic taste to me, and room temp has more of an earthy taste which I far and away prefer.
As for your fibromialgia, water exercise is best, of course, if you can find it. A lot of physical therapy/rehab places have exercise pools and if you can find one, and get a doctor's prescription for extended water therapy, you can usually get it billed to your insurance. Even if not , they usually have a seniors arthritis workout class (which I took, and I was only 45 at the time, and had a BLAST with it) that usually run only a couple of dollars per class, once sometimes twice a week.
As with arthritis, fibromialgia does best if you don't let it set up on you. Some sort of movement, ANY light daily exercise is far better than nothing. And of course, losing weight will help with the pain too, and you can't lose just by cutting calories alone.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 181.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

One day I awoke from an emotional coma and found I was 100 pounds overweight. Years of rejection and coping left me lonely and isolated...from myself....More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.