Skip to content
Appreciate the posts
tnmist posted:
Thanks for all the posts and making this an active and lively board. I've been quiet on this board this week, but I've been reading and the comments and suggestions and encourgement all around have been appreciated, even if they weren't directed at me.

I'm a bit down today because I'm facing something with my therapist at my appointment this morning, but I know I will feel lighter in spirit afterwards. Today and tomorrow are my "weekend," so I'm hoping to make the most of it and do some budget meal planning and also MOVE. Very disappointed that walking is hurting my back, but I know there are many other things I can do. Just trying to get my house back in shape will keep me busy next week, trust me! I like to put on some lively music when housecleaning and that helps me keep going. I think some of my friends would be surprised at what I listen to when I'm housecleaning, ha

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

-Misty

jean4u responded:
Hi Misty, TGIF! I went to counseling for awhile, too. It helped during my difficult time. Now, I come here and you gals are my therapists. Talking it out and venting really helps, food is NOT the answer.

Yeah, the house, always somthing to do here.

Let us know how you do, we care.

Have a good weekend, too!

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
Hey Misty,
Good luck with the "face off" this am. Venting when angry seems to always be easier than when we are simply asked to explain our feelings. Just take a deep breath and remember that whatever you are doing , you are doing for you. And that you matter.
If you need to vent about venting, lol, we are here.
Anyway, the back. My dr suggested a cane or walking stick for my walks to help support my back. In fact you can look up hiking sticks(they look like ski poles) and you use one in each hand. Those babies are NICE for support.
If you back hurts too much to do regular walking, do the shopping cart thing. Just about every store has em now and they work the absolute best for exercise and back support.
Make sure to do the 12 min seated Core exercises from Sparkpeople. That will strengthen your back and the supporting stomach muscles on the other side.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 181.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
Hi Misty, I went for counseling before and during my divorce. It was extremely helpful in getting me to value myself more. One of the most important things that I learned from my therapist was to learn to just "be" and make time for activities that make me happy. I've always been a person with a to do list and although I've always been social, I always had work and projects at home that were calling to me. I learned to schedule "me" time even before I started this healthy journey. Now, I can actually just "be" even when I have a zillion things I could be doing.

I hope your session today goes well and that you realize that most of the time the "roughest" ones are the ones right before an AHA moment that changes your life for the better.

Have a great weekend! Oh, and I crank up my music when I do housecleaning too.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

blondie454u responded:
Good luck with your move. Keep us posted.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

tnmist replied to blondie454u's response:
Thanks, everyone. My head is swirling with all this great advice and encouragement. Wow. Oh, um, if it sounded like I was acutally moving to a new location or something, that's not what I meant. Oopsy. I meant I need to move my butt and burn some calories.

Walking stick(s), hmmm...It's a thought. My dog is with me on a leash, so perhaps a cane or one stick will be enough, if it doesn't spook him too much, groan. He is a rescue dog and scared of his own shadow, but he heels nicely most of the time unless he thinks he needs me to "protect" him from something, then it gets interesting with a clutz for a mom (me) and him running behind me on a leash...Ya, we've had some comical moments, but it does give me a chuckle.

I'll have to check out that spark page. Never heard of it. Thanks.

Survived the session this morning. It went a little better than anticipated. When it turns out that what you thought was your foundation was really quicksand...ugh. You are right, though, food is not the answer.

Misty

abnersmom replied to tnmist's response:
Wow Misty, foundation vs quicksand - food for thought there (no pun intended). Here's hoping you find the rope to get out of the quicksand and onto your true foundation. Of course, I'm internalizing my own "quicksands" and "foundations" now. Definitely interesting to think about....

Abner and I have some comical moments as well. Aren't dogs the greatest?
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

tnmist replied to abnersmom's response:
Yes, dogs are my fav. Hands down. I try to be good to my cat, too, though. Ha. I never thought I would own a cat again, but, well, stuff happens. He was sort of a "nephew" being given away, and I just didn't have the heart to see him go to a stranger when he knew me.

Glad I have him because, as it turned out, a month or so ago he caught a MOUSE. Nothing like hearing a scramble across the linoleum in the middle of the night and just KNOW your cat got SOMETHING. OH, and apparently this house was built on a cricket mound, and he is my official cricket catcher (guess he wants the extra protein). Between those jobs and instigating scuffles with the dog, he keeps busy, when he isn't napping, of course.

I could talk ad nauseum about my pets, but they have certainly helped keep me going, and I'm grateful to them. One day I will get a puppy. I've always wanted to raise a puppy. I would have a house full of dogs if I could afford it, but I have to be practical, too. I have a large, old-fashioned, L-shaped desk under which my dog sleeps whenever I'm here (his cave), and there is a cat bed on one corner of the desk for the cat to join us when he wishes. Nah, they aren't spoiled a bit, ha.

Oh, just one more quick note, if you don't mind indulging me. My dog walks so close behind me that sometimes he has stepped on the back of one of my slippers when I'm walking, or, if I stop suddenly, his nose has hit my calf - LOL.

Misty

jean4u replied to tnmist's response:
Misty, I enjoy hearing about your fur-babies. That is good that your cat catches mice AND crickets. When I had a cat and lived in the country my cat used to catch and LEAVE snakes on my garage step. I heard that they like to show their owners their catch!

Cute about your dog being on your heels when you walk.

There is a show on TV called "Too Cute" and yesterday, they had a variety of breeds' puppies. They had Sharpeis, Carin terriers, and Boxers and showed different stages of their weekly development and the traits of each breed. It was very interesting to see these traits emerge on a weekly basis.

Good to hear you survived your therapy session.

BTW, sparkpeople.com is a great site for recipes and member blogs. But I like the daily banter here. I don't do facebook.

Barb

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Yes, Debbie, the foundation vs quicksand made me stop and think, also. I can apply that to alot of my habits. The yo-yo eating was pure quicksand and I was going down. If I could say one thing that was life changing was to stop losing the weight and going right back to unhealthy eating. DONE!

Barb

tnmist replied to jean4u's response:
When she pointed out what I had posted, I had to go back and read it again. I'm still mulling it over because I can see where that can apply to more than what I originally referred to. Hmmmm. Reminds me of the old childen's Scripture song to build your house upon the rock.

My cat is an indoor cat because I'm not as far out in the country as I would prefer. Oh, I do have a marshy area behind me and see deer, bunnies, skunks, etc., but I'm simply too close to a road people like to speed on. Plus I don't need him stalking my birdfeeder for real. It feeds the birds and entertains him only, ha.

Misty

kalimiller replied to tnmist's response:
Misty -

So many of us have pets on here - feel free to post all you want about them!

I have three dogs and I love them so much. It's so fun to interact with them and enjoy their wonderful personalities.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

tnmist replied to kalimiller's response:
Thanks, Kali.I like hearing about people's pets, too.

Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

rohvannyn replied to tnmist's response:
I have two cats again. Interestingly, one of them has a weight problem. Poor girl! So it's appropriate for this forum.

My older cat, Mouse a floofy calico, gained some weight for the wintertime. Then the new kitten, a slinky little tortoiseshell, moved in. Mouse decided to eat as much as she could of Shadow's kitten food. Now we have a huge Mouse.

So.... after this bag of kitten food we go back to an indoor formula, and I feed the kitten some soft food in the evenings to keep her calories and nutrients high for her growth. Moose, er, Mouse, hates soft food. Meanwhile, she can get exercise with the kitten chasing her all the time and vice versa. Extra play from me will help too. Love that laser pointer! I use it to give the kiten a good run in the evenings.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a classic "Yo-yo" guy who seems to go in 3-4 year cycles of about a 150 pound range. I've been doing this most of my 47 years so...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.