Skip to content
Just a little bit about me
bhamil999 posted:
I don't have any questions I just thought I would share with all you great people a little about where I come from. I started my journey just over two years ago. I started out at 5'7" and 311 pounds. My knees hurt, my back hurt, I had diabetes and having sex was all but miserable because of the excess body mass. I am now 5'71/2" and weigh in right now at 200 lbs. my goal is 160 lbs. I see a trainer 3 times a week and that has been a life saver. I have motivation and accountablity issues. I try to be accountable to my husband, myself, my therapist but when it comes right down to it I have to have someone to EXPECT me to be there at the gym or I will talk myself out of it. It is VERY expensive and is breaking the bank but I choose to invest my money in my health NOW while I can still do something about it. I live on a basic Paleo type diet. Not exactly strictly Paleo but close. It is a struggle everytime I have to eat because I HATE vegtables and I LOVE startchy food. I generally eat no carbs other than what occur naturally in green vegtables and meat. I do have a cheat "meal" every 10-14 days that consists of up to 300 carbs. This boosts my metabolism and I generally lose around 5 pounds in the 7-10 days after doing this ramping. I have reframed the way I think about food. I am and always have been a food addict. I did not eat for comfort, ever. I binge ate mostly. Now I realize that food is how we fuel the body and that is why I eat. I rarely eat for pleasure based on the simple fact that most of the time when I do it is a disappointment. I have to talk myself into eating because I need fuel even if I do not want to eat. Breakfast has always been difficult for me. I now eat breakfast every morning. Sometimes I want to throw up and actually have to do deep breathing to keep from it and that is not always successful. My diet has been pretty boring for most of a year (2012) during my major weight loss phase. I am being allowed to add root vegtables back to my diet at this point. I am starting to broaden my diet horizon since I am going into the maintanance phase now. With this change from a completely sendentary life to a very active life with a complete diet change ( haven't eaten at mcdonald's for two years and could not phathom putting that kind of poisen in my body) I have been able to reverse my Diabetes. My doctor will close the case on this disease in April 2013. I will try to keep you guys posted on my success and failure as I go along. Any comments or feedback or questions are welcome. I pretty much sit at this computer most of the day with nothing to do but read these blogs.

totallywiggedout responded:
Wow, bham, have you been lurking for TWO YEARS??!! No wonder I keep looking over my shoulder, lol.
Sounds like maybe you have hit on a lifestyle that works for you. Congratulations. It's also very impressive that you knew and acknowledged that you have accountability issues and are making them work FOR you instead of against. If you need something like a goalkeeper and have gotten one for yourself, hey, whatever works, right?
At some point, I think that you will be able to take those training wheels off, and save yourself some serious money. You sound like you are already stronger and more enabled than you were initially so I have no doubt that you will continue to succeed.
Please continue to share if and when you feel like popping in.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

bhamil999 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
no, i have not been lurking until very recently. I do have a good goal keeper and will someday have to ween off of him. for now, until i get to the complete maintain stage I will keep him in my pocket. It is well worth the expense involved. I feel better than I ever have in my life. I can bend over and tie my shoe or pick something up without having a feeling of dread that I may hurt myself. It is mind blowing to have my husband tell me I am too bony to lay his head on my chest because my clavical pokes out. I can feel my muscles activate under my skin. If only I had know i had a banging body under there when I was young...maybe I never would have gotten so big. I was always told I was fat when in reality I was the size I should have been for my height. My parents were by biggest critic of my size and the worst offender against my diet. If I knew then or even when my kids were babies, what diet and exercise could do to improve your life, I would have been doing this all along!!!!

totallywiggedout replied to bhamil999's response:
The right approach, of course. And .... hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20!
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
Thanks for posting, Bhamil. You have made remarkable changes in your life and health. Congratulations to you! I don't do a specific type of "diet," e.g., Paleo so I can't really relate to the "boring" part of your plan. While I do limit some foods and have never been a sweet eater, I eat pretty much anything just watch the portions and nutrients carefully.

I hope whoever it is that is allowing you to eat more root vegetables will allow you to change things up a bit. Even for us food addicts, eating should still be a pleasure - just a controlled one.

Best of luck to you.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

bhamil999 replied to abnersmom's response:
My trainer only makes suggestions I am the one that enforces it. Due to his desire to want me as low carb as possible I was encouraged not to eat root vegtables. My diet is "boring" because I am not willing to put the effort into making it anything different. I am fine with what I eat and am certainly not complaining. (nine months into this diet and still going strong)

blondie454u responded:
Thanks for sharing your story! It's very inspirational and a good motivator. You go girl!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Bhmil
Great job on your improved health with diet and exercise
I am happy for you welcome to our little community
I have changed my life from sedentary to more active too and it really does feel so good to be able to function properly like you said ...Your journey is very inspirational thank you for sharing
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom replied to bhamil999's response:
I admire your determination. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Quite inspiring!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jean4u responded:
Good work!

Barb

bhamil999 replied to blondie454u's response:
You and Miss Judy have been on this site for a while. I just read your story Amber and it is inspiring to see you still on here 3 years (from what I read) and maintaining. I have about 40lbs to go and it is definately slow going. I just hope I can maintain this diet when I am to my goal weight.

jis4judy replied to bhamil999's response:
Hi Bhamil the key to maintaining is to never go back to old habits you may stumble and fall just get right back on your healthy journey as soon as possable
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u replied to bhamil999's response:
Basically what Judy said. It's a life style change. We will have to do this for the rest of lives. To me it's worth it. I feel and look great!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

So glad I found this support group. I am inclined 2 b a loner and now that I'm not working it's 2 ez 2 b a recluse (& eat). Hi school days...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.