Skip to content
WHATEVER WILL I DO?????
bhamil999 posted:
I am concerned that I have made it to this point but won't be able to maintain this weight loss. I hate vegtables and they are mandatory to this lifestyle. I don't like raw mostly. I am by no means a cook, on the other hand. I don't mind preparing food to a certain extent but I'm not into long drawn out recipes that take and hour before you even get to the cooking part. Vegtables usually go bad before I get around to eating them. I have to force myself to eat all these greens (the leafy stuff) and broccoli or cauliflower. i'm going to grow a garden this year so we will see if that helps any. I will plant leafy stuff and squash and beets. I have no idea how to prepare this food other than to eat it raw and that simply isn't appetite evoking to me. I would rather not eat than eat these vegtables. I have looked through recipes on the Web for days and everything leaves me with questions. Can anyone talk me off this ledge?

jis4judy responded:
Hi Bhamil
try steaming some vegies to crisp tender that is the best way to eat vegies ... I have really easy meals I hate llong drawn out recipes too..
My favorite easy meal is baked chicken breast baked with the skin on but remove it before eating while chicken is bakeing at 395 degrees I have allready wrapped sweet potato in foil and put that in the oven too also use foil to line the pan sometimes it saves me from haveing to wash it
then about 15 minutes before the chicken and sweetpotao are done I cook the green vegie sometimes it is broccholi or green beans zucchini or brussel spouts . while these things are cooking I prepar the salad with mixed greens called spring mix a few slices of bell pepper your choice of colors
a slice red onion a couple slices of english cuke maybe 5 black olives 1 hot Italian pepper a few wedges of tomato I dress it with wishbone robusto Italian dressing that I have deluted with red wine vinager this particulair dinner is an easy clean up only one pot for the green vegie the only vegies I don;t steam are carrots and green beans they require simmering in water .. from start to eat it takes just over an hour of cooking time the sweet potato takes the longest so put them in oven first easy easy dinner
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Hi bhamil,

I'm a fan of roasting my veggies with a little olive oil and some garlic. One of my favs is roasting yellow squash, zucchini, grape tomatoes with the garlic. I even roast my green beans with some onion. Love how they taste that way. As for my favorite vegetable, broccoli, I do steam that in the microwave. I usually eat it plain, but I sometimes use a wedge of laughing cow cheese melted over it after it comes out of the microwave.
Like Judy, I eat a lot of salad. I usually mix romaine and baby spinach with some shredded carrots and red onion. I use a balsamic vinagrette (sp?)usually.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

bhamil999 replied to abnersmom's response:
Thanks you guys. I have tried roasting brussel sprouts and that turned out well. i will try the other veggies the same way. I am going to grow a garden this year. I am going to plant several things in small quantities since my husband won't eat vegtables unless they are corn or green beans. I actually got him to eat a bowl of crock pot navy beans with ham the other day. He is so resistant to this change I am making. I think sometimes he preferred me as a morbidly obese person. Someone that didn't exercise or eat right. That made it easier for him to get away with not doing the right thing. He is overweight but only by about 20lbs. He is very stiff though because he doesn't move around outside his normal, at work, type of movements. He makes all kinds of excuses about why he can't do exercising. He has stenosis in his back. You would think he was given a death sentence and is now locked in a box and can't do anything. All he really does is watch TV and tinker with his guns and motorcycle. He was talking about buying a new motorcyle last night. If he is fit enough to ride a bike which can actually damage your spine surely he can go for a nightly walk and not make me feel like I'm forcing him to do something he doesn't want to do. We have been married for 25 years so he has had a lot of years to get used to the way I was. He is not adjusting well to the way I am now. I do fuss at him a lot about his diet and exercise (or lack there of) but I get so frustrated with his inaction I don't know what to do. I don't want to leave him behind on my journey...I want him beside me just like he has been through my journey as a mentally ill fat person!!! But I look at him and all I see is an aging, sad man who is complacent in his life and is not excited about anything. I told him he needs to see a therapist cause he might be depressed but he just deflected that suggestion with the fact that the one time he saw a therapist it didn't work out. I am a firm supporter of CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy)...He is a firm supporter of FOX news!!!! UUGGGG!!!! What to do, What to do!!!!!!

blondie454u replied to bhamil999's response:
You just have to do what you need to and eventually he will get used to the new you. He'll come around.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

blondie454u responded:
I also roast most of my veggies because I don't like them any other way.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been overweight all my life. I have lost weight only to gain it back. I also take an maoi med for severe depression. It's really making me ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.