Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Staying focused
maeberry13 posted:
I need to lose 175lbs. I have purchased several books,programs and dietary aids to help me in my quest to lose this weight. I will get all excited and feel motivated to get started and do start different plans; normally, this will last a few weeks and then for some reason, I begin to lose my enthusiasm. Can anyone out there offer some advice to handle times I get weak. Thanks!

jis4judy responded:
Hi Maeberry
welcome aboard when I feel like my journey to better health is wavering I post on this forum right here ..
I find posting here helps me to keep my focus on my plan to improve my body and keep it as healthy as possable
So what plan do you have that you have been useing the last few weeks? I reocmend before even starting a plan is to be come aware of your usual eating habits and change them to healthier choices gradually ... think of it as a forever thing it isn;t for just a few weeks or month you really neeed to change your view of your food habits to healthier choices
and make it something you can live with forever it does get easier as you progress
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi maeberry, welcome!
Judy is right , when you decide do really do it, it's not going to be a diet, it's going to be a lifestyle, lifeLONG change.
No matter how many books and aids you buy it all is going to boil down to eating less, eating right and exercising.
There really is no magic potion, pill or diet that will work for everyone. We are all different and we all have our food likes and dislikes, allergies and/or medical complications that make "one size fits all" plans extraordinarily difficult, impractical or even impossible to succeed with.
Start a food and fitness planner here on WebMd or on Fitday.com. Log all of your daily foods as you eat them, make sure to add in sauces, oils that you cook with, herbs, sweeteners ..... everything.
Do the same for whatever exercise you are doing.
This will enable you to actually see how much you are taking in and how much energy you are expending during the day. Don't fret trying to do everything all at once. Focus on making healthier food choices and eating smaller portions. Only when you feel strong enough,motivated enough, move into some exercise. And do it SLOWLY. Walking is great because you can always do it faster and for longer periods of time.
Blog, log your foods, and drink your water.
Stay with it and us, we love to help out.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u responded:
Hi Mae, I want to offer my welcome to you!

I think when when we want to get started on losing weight we focus on the ultimate goal (175) and that is like wanting a big house that has not been cleaned for years to have cleaned in a few days. This is why we get discouraged after a few weeks.

Like Judy and Kim say, make healthier choices. Think of this as a project, like cleaning a house. Start with the smallest room, then go on......small changes do add up!

Let us know how you do,

Barb

justmejust replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb,

That's good advice, clean up our health in increments, like cleaning a cluttered house one little part at a time.
Laura 225 - 198 - 207 - 209 - 165 Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Mae! I agree with all the previous advice, of course. Just wanted to add my welcome and encourage you to not overwhelm yourself with too many changes all at once. Create and tweak as you go a plan that you can live with forever. I think all of us have the same basic plan, but we all do it a bit differently. You've got to figure out what works for you. Congrats on making a decision to be a healthier, happier you!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, I am a 27 year old mom of 3.. hoping to be of 4.. and have always been a little on the chunky side all my life, but as I was finishing junior h...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.