Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low calorie drink for chocolate lovers
rohvannyn posted:
I invented something that some of you may like, so I'll post the basic idea as well as a couple variations.

Basically, it's mocha with tea. The way I make it is I brew a hot cup of strong black tea and add a spoonfull of cocoa powder (the plain kind) to it and my choice of sweeteners. I use stevia but you could use anything else. I call it "mo-cha" since cha is the Japanese word for tea.

Variations: Add a spoonfull of nonfat powdered milk. Add a few drops of vanilla. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon. Add a few drops of licorice extract or peppermint extract or really any other kind of extract. It's also good made with Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea.

Hope someone likes this! It's a nice drink for a cold evening and the cocoa powder is very good for you.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Roh, I haven't tried Bengal spice tea, can you give me an idea what it's like? cinnamony, lavender??
Anyhow this sounds like a nice idea for teas. I love cocoa powder and keep it on hand all the time anyhow, so a new idea for use is always appreciated.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy responded:
I think I may try that Roh it might be less calories than my hot cocoa I make I wonder how the cocoa would taste in my peppermint tea
thanks Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
I never thought of combining cocoa and tea. I like Chai tea.

Thanks for sharing your invention. This also is a healthy way to feed or stifle a night craving

I want to pass on this recipe, actually it is just a combination of ingredients that you could vary amounts and even the veggies. It was under the category of Indian food, which I like to explore because of all the healthy spices.

Red Lentils, Cabbage (substitute kale or spinach) and Cumin.

Red lentils
Cabbage
Tomato
Tumeric
Garlic
Onion
Cumin

Serve over brown rice.

Always looking for cheap recipes. Could freeze some.

Barb

justmejust replied to jean4u's response:
That recipe sounds delicious, Barb. Do you use dry lentils, plus I have only seen brown lentils. Are the red ones healthier or tastier?
Laura 225 - 198 - 207 - 209 - 165 Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb are the red lentils considered kidney beans thats the only ones I know are red otherwise the rest is pretty clear.
sounds good and I might give it a try I will check to see if I have cumin and tumaric in my spice area/
Hugs Judy:)

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom replied to jean4u's response:
Both ideas sound great. Thanks Barb and Roh!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

rohvannyn replied to jis4judy's response:
Red lentils look just like brown or yellow lentils. A sort of orangey red color. They look like little, flat peas sort of. Delicious! Kidney beans are much darker in color, larger, and bean shaped.

The Bengal Spice tea is non caffeinated, and is cinnamony and vanilla flavored with hints of carob.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thanks Roh
that clarifys it better I will take a look in the lentil area of the store next time I go // see if I can find them
Hugs Judy:)

justmejust replied to rohvannyn's response:
But would regular brown lentils work? I have some of those already.
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

CindyBlue replied to justmejust's response:
Wow! I am addicted to dark chocolate...really addicted. So I will definitely try this hot tea drink. I love tea too.

jean4u replied to justmejust's response:
Laura, I haven't made this recipe yet. I think you could substitute any lentil, even edamames or chick peas.

I find that in maintaining my weightloss that I have to incoporate more meatless meals. I think that the addition of spices also helps.

BTW I keep frozen lima beans, edamames and canned beans like pinto or chick peas. I look for these at dollar stores and stock up. Sometimes I just add a few spoons to brown rice or couscous. This adds more protein and fiber to a serving and makes you feel fuller.

Barb

jean4u replied to CindyBlue's response:
Hi CindyBlue,

Welcome here!

Barb

rohvannyn replied to jean4u's response:
Totally agreed. Spices and herbs and other flavorings not only help you realize that you are eating something, but they increase enjoyment and often also add important nutrients. Trying tastes from other cultures can also give you fun things to explore.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jean4u replied to rohvannyn's response:
Since I have arthritis, the more I learn about spices and the positive effects on inflamation, I try to incorporate them to foods. BTW, I seem to be doing OK with the arthritis without any RX's. Inflamation is bad not just for arthritis but as an immune system depletor.

So on my healthy journey, I am always looking for ways to boost my immune system. Looking to other cultures, too for new ideas.

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

Here I am! Feeling the worst I ever have. 100 pounds to lose and very overwhelmed about it. 1 year away from 50 years old. Developed high blood pressu...More

Helpful Tips

Working Out
OMG I had a very hard time getting out of the bed this morning to go to the gym. I'm not a morning person, but this morning it was awful. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.