Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gaining, midlife
justmejust posted:
My weight has gone from a low of 193 to my current 2011. I have gradually lost my motivation to eat better and exercise more.

I heard that if I walk 30 minutes a day but sit around the house the rest of the day, which is what I do now, I will gain. I consume healthy foods daily and many unhealthy carbs, causing my gains.

My relationship with hubby is the best it's ever been. My teens are doing well. My mood and health are stable. I am 51 and in a healthy menopause.

I wonder if I am experiencing a moderate mid life crisis. I was an artist in my youth and in college. I was a graphic designer in my career. Then I was a wife and mom. I am an average cook and housekeeper. I have the time to do whatever I want now and I actually enjoy my daily routine with my family.

I plan to increase my walking gradually as my back improves with my chiropractic care. In the mean time, I am enjoying sitting a lot and relaxing even though it is maybe too much sitting!
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

abnersmom responded:
Hey Laura,
Just an observation:
It would appear from your post that you are quite happy where you are in your life right now, so I can see why there would be no motivation to change anything.

If you are happy, healthy and content, why would you? Glad things are going well for you.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

justmejust replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie,

That is a good point!

Well, I left off this thought I recently heard - that obese people do not live to be 80 and older. I do want to be here for my kids and grandkids. My obesity will cause poor health eventually. I have a sleep machine I could do without.

Sorry, I left these things out while painting an incomplete picture. Thanks for calling me out. (My mind may be going also.)
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

jis4judy replied to justmejust's response:
Hi Laura the menopause you get when in midlife is very confuseing I opted not to take the hormones because in my mind menopause was a natural thing the body goes through the thing I missed about it was I could have controled the symptopms of menopause better had I been on my healthy plan back then because sugars and fats tend to make the symptoms worse brain fog is one of them ..
it gets better on the other side of menopause so stay strong
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

justmejust replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks Judy,

The mild mental fog doesn't bother me too much. Even my teens Can't Remember Stuff, so that helps my mood.

One thing that I recently noticed is that as I have become more happily social with my teens and hubby, I have become less social with some of my friends. I just haven't felt that into them lately and I am not sure I even feel bad about it.

Did you experience this?

Laura
Laura

blondie454u responded:
Glad your doing well.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Hi Laura I was a little weird going thru menopause it was right after my Mom died and the 2 things threw me for a loop
I became claustrophobic and refused to leave the house for a while and used food to soothe myself thats how I became obese ,, getting over the refuseing to leave the house thing was huge for me ..
My kids were allready grown by this time and my hubby was working all the time ..
I did quit my job to spend more time with my grandkids that didn;t work out so well my son got a job in Chicago at that time and my grandkids were no longer available see you never know how things will go ..

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to jis4judy's response:
I meant to say agraphobia not claustaphobia
Hugs Judy:) they are the oppossite of each other LOl

justmejust replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks, Judy. That sounds like it was a difficult time for you. Menopause, your mom dying, son and grandkids moving to Chicago, and then agraphobia, fear of leaving the house. How did you get yourself out of it?

I am feeling kind of weird, being post menopause, and having already lost my mom years ago right when I started my family!

My weight is really piling on right now.
Laura

Oh Laura I recognised the agraphobia in myself and began slowly changeing things I would stand in the doorway of my house with the door opened for a few minutes and when I could do that with out fear I stepped out on the top step and just stood there and so on till I could walk to the end of my driveway and back then My hubby and I started to walk I barely got to the next house before I needed to retreat I just went a little bit further each day took almost a year to get that under control... was walking daily for a few years before I got the food right ..evry now and again it pops into my mind that it is scarey out there I shush myself and do it anyway.
I think the activity removed about 10 pounds without changeing my food but I soon ate enough to gain it back getting my healthy food right was the final push to be healthy
Funny how the food was the most difficult to control too I am sure it was my addiction to sweets that got in the way of my changeing it sooner

totallywiggedout responded:
Laura, it sounds like you are not only happy, but content. Which in and of itself is something that we all strive for, all our lives. Congratulations.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, when you had agoraphobia how did you get grocieries or go to doctors appointments?

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
I sent hubby with a list and sometimes I would go with him but be nervous , I don;t think I accually went to a doctor for about 2 years ... It was a weird time .

jean4u responded:
Laura, you and Michelle Obama...LOL, the midlife crisis. Do you have bangs, that's what she said motivated her to get bangs.....a midlife crisis.

Looks like you have done a fine job with your family and now you are taking a deep breath and relaxing. I hear that you are content where your life is with your family. I would like, if you don't mind, to prod you on to explore why or what has caused you to stay off your healthy journey. Like you say, the weight gain is not healthy for any of us who are not close to our goal or healthy weight.

It's OK to take a break, we all need that from time to time.

Let us knoiw how you do.

Barb

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, bet you're glad you got a handle on that (fear of leaving house). Come to think of it, I (when heavier) used to stay home alot...was glad to do that and would wait until the groceries (chips) got low.

The mind is a cuious thing.

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

Always heavy finally got my dream body after losing 130lbs 5 years ago....i maintained until my first pregnancy, now I'm 230lbs again. I need to t...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.