Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can't Seem to Lose Weight
An_250547 posted:
I am a 42 year old female that has just gone into menopause. I have been keeping track of my meals for the past 2 months. I am trying to keep my calorie intake between 1200-1500 daily. I have also started exercising several times a week. I am having to take the exercise slow because of previous surgeries and injuries. I, ummm, forgot my age and began working out full steam ahead but quickly stirred up those old injuries.

The problem is I just cannot seem to lose weight. I have lost about 5 lbs but that is it. My body just seems to hang on to everything and if I happen to have a bad day, the weight just jumps back on.

I'm really frustrated and confused.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi An_2505etcetera etcetra, lol
Welcome!
It sounds to me like maybe you don't need as many calories. 1200 is the approx goal to lose weight, between 1400 and just about 1800 to maintain.
You may not be adding everything in too. Are you measuring and weighing your portions, or just "eyeballing"? Also, as you prepare your meals, if you are a taster, you need to add calories per taste. I'm a self professed cooking taster, and I finally settled on 8 calories per tiny taste added onto my daily intake.... let me tell you, when you add up a few days worth of tasting, it really CAN significantly deter you from doing it so often.
Plus , everything that you use as condiments, toppings and the oils to cook with.... all of that has to be added into your daily caloric load.
Keep special tabs on your sodium intake too. Stay within or lower than daily recommendations. Salt makes you retain water, which weighs you down.
Also , keep in mind that with adding some exercising, you are building muscle... Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are lifting weights, do lower weight with higher reps. It tones without adding so much muscle. If you want to add muscle, then do it after you lose weight, now is the time to tone, not build.
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
Kim has given you some great advice so welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well lets see, i am 38 years old and at my heaaviest i was 284. I have struggles with weight since i was 6. well i didnt try to lose weight then but i...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.