Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
26 year old mom needs help (New)
mitmit86 posted:
I am a 26 year old mom of two. My highest weight was 400lbs when I had my son at 19. I was always thick but like 120-140lbs and it was all muscle being that I played sports all through high school. My problem was I had two kids back to back. Now I am fairly healthy ( being that I have no major health issues) Just very big. My current weight is 290lbs 5'6". I can't seem to get any weight off. I run around all the time with the kids being in soft ball and base ball plus I work on my feet 8 hours a day. I have been going to a gym for a few months doing cardio and tring to stay away from red meat and salt. I am lost. I really want to loose this weight and be able to enjoy playing base/soft ball with the kids without loosing my breath. Please help me. Thank you all very much

jis4judy responded:
Hi mitmit86
welcome aboard sound like you need to make some changes to your eating habits . first look at what you are eating and when the things to avoid are proccessed foods thing in packages if it has a nutrition label learn to read them and do not buy things with tons of ingredients you don;t understand .. avoid hydrogenated oils otherwise known as trans fats stop useing margarine trans fats again
switch to healthier bread choices with 100% whole grains
If you like beef have it once a week just be portion awaree chicken , beef or other meats needs to be the size of a regular deck of cards portions are important
I found these 2 sites helpful to form my nutrition Quest

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200

http://www.fitday.com/

the top one has nutrition info
the second is a pfree site to keep a log of your foods it also gives info on % of carbs fats and proteins as well as fiber
keeping a log is very helpful ..BTW great job loseing 110 pounds after your baby Maybe you are at a plateau if so you need to change your food or exercise // what helps is varying your calories up and down daily but keeping an average number meant to maintain your goal weight. Hope this helps
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Hey mitmit,
If I'm reading that correctly, you have already lost 110 lbs and have maintained that loss. So, well, that in and of itself is something to celebrate.
You say that you "keep trying" to lose weight. Honey, that's the best thing for you and all of us to do.
Keep Trying.
You are now looking at it from the standpoint of your children deserving a mom that can run and play with them. I would love for you to start looking at it like YOU deserve to get healthier and more active, for YOU. This is the one thing, probably the ONLY time, that you can be completely in control and self centered, even a little greedy. Because you deserve it and are worth every penny and effort that it may take to get to the point where you are healthier and happier with yourself.
As most of us here, you are probably the main "shopper" for the family's groceries. You are in control of what is purchased and brought into the house and therefore, eaten.
Pick a time when you can shop WITHOUT the kids and the hubby. This is a time for you to concentrate on what goes into the cart without all the "I wants" and "gimmes" from others. It's hard enough to make good, healthy decisions without having to deal with kids wanting the candy or chips or pop and hubbies wanting salami and crackers.
Focus on purchasing the bulk of your goods from the OUTSIDE ring of the grocery section. Fresh fruits, veggies, whole grain (and preferably lower fat and calorie) bread choices, fresh "trimmed" meats and some lower fat hamburger, I use 1 lb ground turkey to 1/2 lb hamburger mixed and noone in my family knows the difference(try to stay away from processed meats like bacon, hot dogs and packaged lunch meats), fresh low fat/fat free dairy products and whole eggs.
Think and research what types of foods and choices that you have that are healthier, more nutritious options in everything that comes into the house.
Pick healthy snacks like baby carrots or celery with peanut butter , air popped pop corn, warmed pita triangles with hummus, etc.
Use a food and fitness planner to log ALL of your food intake to see where you can and need to change your daily calories.
Drink LOTS of water
and blog, because coming here for support can definitely make the difference at the end of the day.
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
Welcome mitmit Judy and Kim have given you great advice. You're a busy gal, but taking the time to log your food here or at fitday.com is well worth the time it takes. it is eye-opening, if not for the calories, definitely to see how nutritiously you are eating. Just knowing EXACTLY what you are consuming (everything that goes into your mouth) makes you more mindful when you make food choices. Good luck!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

mitmit86 replied to abnersmom's response:
Thanks ladies. I am happy to be part of this community. I will start counting my calories again and get back on track. Have a bless day.

blondie454u replied to mitmit86's response:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 37 year old mother of two. Very much want to lose around 50 pounds to be healthy. I have tried everything out there and I feel like I just keep...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.