Skip to content
I'm New!!! :)
ReadySetWin posted:
Hi everyone! I have 120 pounds to lose, and I am very motivated. I am an emotional eater, and at the moment have no control of the circumstances that cause me to run to the refrigerator, but I hope I can find better ways of coping with the things that are happening around me, other than eating. That's why I'm here. I just recently purchased The Hunger Fix, and it is the greatest book! Pam Peeke is awesome! I need to learn self-love and self-care... Something that's missing in my life. I also have absolutely no support system. I know I can do this though. I lost 120 pounds 5 years ago, but gained it all back after discovering my husband was having an affair. ( lots of angry chewing going on.) I'm so happy to be here, and look forward to meeting you all! I'm ready to live again!!

jis4judy responded:
Hi ready
welcome aboard I find that if I don't buy trigger foods It is harder to eat them and easier to eat healthy .
I think anger is best released when you take a good fast walk and think about stepping on the face of the person makeing you angry . instead of trying to stuff the anger inward with food ..
Yes Pam Peeke has a lot of good books out there
and yes loveing and careing for yourself is essential to success in the journey to better health and fitness

we on this forum try to help each other with ideas and shareing our success as well as our slips
we also believe diets are a mistake it is better to think of this as a life style change that you keep forever adjusting calories along the way ...
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Hi Ready! Welcome to our community. You might also want to read What are You Hungry for? Can't remember the authors' names, but it was a great read for me when I first began. I congratulate you on "owning" up to the emotional eating and looking for alternative ways to deal with emotions. This journey is not all about the food, is it? I agree with Judy that exercise is a great way to beat stress.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jean4u responded:
Hi RSW,

Time to stop that angry chewing and take care of yourself. Alot of us here have had some difficult times. I went through a divorce and my DH was living a double life (cheating). The best thing you/we can do is live a healthy life.

Think progress not perfection. Don't look at the goal weight as much as living a healthier life EACH day. Healthy lifestyle will lead to weightloss.

Hope to see you again!

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi RSW, Welcome HOME!!!!!
This is a great place to start your journey, and a great group to do it with.
As for running to the fridge.... or the cupboards for that matter, what you don't buy , you can't eat, right?
You already know you have trigger emotions, but do you also have trigger foods? Things that you automatically grab for because they are convenience foods? Don't buy them.
Get out and get a big bag of baby carrots, a good sized celery, some radishes, apples.. oranges ,... whatever else that's healthier for you and have THOSE ready for the grabbing and munching.
Also. When we go for food, sometimes it's really our body telling us it's thirsty. Your brain reads initial body thirst and hunger basically the same. It really can't differentiate.
Grab a bottle or big glass of water and drink it down BEFORE doing the munchy thing. Wait at least 10 min.
If you still want a munchy, do a small healthy snack, eating it slowly, while having another glass of water.
Food takes 20 in from the very first bite hitting your stomach, to register in your brain. If you shovel in food fast, you easily overeat and get stuffed without your brain even having time to think about making you stop.
Think healthy foods and snacks. Make small changes and add a little exercise. DON'T PUSH yourself into feeling overwhelmed by a new lifestyle by taking on too much too soon. This is forever. NOT a short term diet. So take your time, make it last and stick with it.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard! You've gotten some great advice. I am going add, remember you are only hurting yourself by running to the fridge and eating instead of displacing the anger in some other form like exercise. Always love yourself in all situations.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

pauliev replied to blondie454u's response:
Good Afternoon everyone,

I have been watching all the reply's on here all week, since this is really my first or ...maybe into my second week on here. Excellent information and good points by all of you. I have dealt with some fairly difficult stuff in the last five years or so, I have always fought my weight, but got worse when I got angry and emotional. Take the advice from the comment that was written and search for another way to work thru the anger or emotional stuff that is going on. All the info that is talked about on here, all of it has face values. During the week it is hard for me to get on here and participate but I can tell you that just reading the comments and replys, is a savings grace.

It's my hope that if your struggling in life and it takes you to the fridge, find a way to beat it because eating will not make the problem go away and when you have gained 20lbs now you have two problems to deal with, the one that made you go to the fridge, and now the fridge and weight gain.

Paul

pauliev responded:
Hey ReadySetWin,

my name is Paul, second week here. about 4 years ago, after losing 134 lbs and after being married 25 years, I found my wife was having an affair with my brother. I know your pain and understand your 'angry chewing". It takes so much courage to dig down deep and get it back and as much as we look for support, it is up to us to find our own personal courage deep in our own souls. I applaud you for your courage and if there is any support I could ever offer you please feel at east to communicate with me as I am struggling with the same. I like you screen name very positive winning attitude...kick some butt!

abnersmom replied to pauliev's response:
Hi Paul, Glad you're still hanging around. We can use a male voice on this board. We've had a few, but they don't seem to stay with us. This board has made a huge difference in my journey. I've learned so much here from the others. Sharing this journey with folks who have similar issues and goals is quite powerful.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

totallywiggedout replied to pauliev's response:
Paul, I second Debbie's comment. We are glad that you are still with us. Sometimes I wonder if we scare men off because we are mostly a female group , but I think it's more that woment tend to seek support more openly then most men do. That you can and do seek support wherever you can get it, and are not self conscious about it, then I think that this group could and WILL be a huge advantage to you. Metaphorically speaking, we are all the same, as humans, it doesn't matter what sex, age or color you are, when it comes to trying to lose weight, there is definitely "safety in numbers".... lol
Everyone has different perspectives and can add to the group as a whole, that's the biggest and best part of this community. We ALL add something to the mix.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I don't think this journey is gender-related. I do think that men tend to be more competitive than females, in general and I think that is why some drop off this board. Maybe if we had a "score board". LOL

On the other hand ALOT of the female newbies and sorta regulars we hardly see or never see again.

These people have a mind of their own and my job is not to convince them that "support" definitely will help to get started and stay on this journey. Alot of relly good tips here!

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

(see my response to Andie's blog on Committing to Committment 4/3/11)

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.