Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Back in the Saddle Again!
ausgram posted:
Remember that song by Gene Autry? ha ha
Well, thats me. I'm still working on eating right and exercising. It's not happening. Waaaaa! Actually, I got a wake up call this week. I have been in pain for over 2 years and I got the last of the tests done with a CT-scan Wednesday the 27th of Feb. Nothing is wrong. So why this pain? My hubby thinks its cause I've gained so much weight. So - we are going to not buy anymore junk food plus we are going to start a regimine of walk, walk, walking. Wish us luck. Hubby already had 1 heart attack so with both of us working on this. MAYBE we will get in shape even tho we are in our 70s!! Gosh, I hope this works. I have not stopped posting my food count, but mainly cause I get an email every day saying: "Have you logged your food etc." ha ha, I love it.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Ausgram it is never too late maybe try following the dash diet It is especially made to help people with heart disease and high blood pressure .. I saw this on Dr OZ and it appears my nutrition quest I have been on for 10 years almost is the dash diet healthy foods and it works it is deigned as a life style change not really a diet /
I have to say I had a lot of pain when I was obese everything was hurting ...no good reason except I was too fat for my frame ... remember I am 71 My hubby is 75 gonna be 76 on July 4th
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
AG, Do you remember Jack LaLanne? He was on TV and used chair to do exercises. My Mom used to exercise with his show on. He was no teenager and encouraged the viewers that "it was NEVER too late".

Like Judy says, she and her hubby are in their 70's and I am 67, so don't say it's too late!

I think the thing here is when we first start it is overwhelming. Like cleaning your whole house in a day. Just go room by room, make small changes you can stick with. They do add up. Even the exercise, start 15 min. and add on.

Make EVERYDAY a "Back in the saddle day"! That's what I do no matter what the scale shows. I mean even if I get a good # that is not a ticket to slack and if I go up in pounds, that is not a ticket to give up. What would Gene Autry say???

Barb

abnersmom responded:
Welcome back! Glad that your tests were good. Your post and Judy's made me realize that I rarely take Advil anymore since I removed the weight and started eating healthier. Now that I think about it, I may have taken some everyday for some pain or another. I don't think that I recognized this change until this very morning. Funny how we sometimes miss important changes when they happen slowly. Maybe this will serve as a reminder to you as you and your husband make these healthier choices to be cognizant of all the little positives!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

totallywiggedout responded:
I'm right there with you Aus.
The more mass you carry, the stronger the pull of gravity... did you know that? That when you weigh yourself it's actually how much GRAVITY is pulling down on your person? That's why everyone that goes into space , where there is no gravity, is weightless.
Your husband is on the right track. I'm glad he has decided to join you in the journey. It'll make it easier if you don't have to deal with making heartier "man food" for him and then lighter fare for yourself. Plus not having unhealthy snacks in the house will benefit both of you.
Way to Go!
70 is the new 40 so age is just a number. Don't let it slow you down. If you feel like you can be active, push the limits and go for it.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
Welcome back!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

ausgram replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Gosh, thank you everyone for your input. Judy, you always are incouraging. Barb, I love how you gave me the cleaning the rooms to compare it to. Debbie I hope I'm like you and not have to keep taking so many advil's, blood pressure pills, etc. I hate taking pills. TotallyWiggedOut, thanks for the encouragment. I'm almost afraid to say this, but I got on the scales and looks like I lost 4 pounds. I hope my scale isn't lieing and I hope it stays off and I keep going down. I have to get myself to exercise more now. 10 minutes isn't cutting it.

ausgram replied to blondie454u's response:
Thank you Amber! How you doing?

blondie454u replied to ausgram's response:
I am doing pretty good. Thanks for asking. So how are things your way?
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mom of 2 wonderful boys ages 4 and 13. I have struggled with my weight and eating disorders all of my life. I have been too thin ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.