Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Not sure I can do this
kim63 posted:
I am new to Web MD after learning my triglycerides are dangerously high and I have fatty liver. I am 50, a chronic dieter who finds herself 50 lbs or so overweight.
I have no confidence that I can sustain any kind of food/exercise changes long term.
I'm at a loss really. My weight has always been something that would be nice to lose, but has never impacted my lifestyle. Except now it is affecting my health and that changes it.
The only thing I am sure of is I can't do it alone. And so I post this in hopes that someone can help. I need some kind of accountability.
How does a chronic dieter turn it around to be about health and not the weight loss? The more I have focused on the number on the scale, the more my weight goes up. It's crazy isn't it?
Thanks for listening...I need to figure this out. Stop focusing on what I have never been able to do (negative) and focus on where I go from here (positive)
I can't let my discouragement get the best of me!
Kim

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kim63
welcome aboard Your post spoke to me I was the same way my health was getting bad so I woke one morning with the idea to heck with weight loss the very least I can do for my body is clean up my eating habits . thats when i started my Nutrition quest ... began to read labels so I could avoid the trans fats and artificial sugars . I have been eating healthy 90% of the time for the last nearly 10 years and it is working to make me healthier . I avoid most proccessed foods and eat fruits vegies whole grains lean meats in proper portions and limited nuts . this plan accually after being on it for 3 years thats when My life long struggle with asthma no longer needed medication all my joints felt better
and the reason I did this was my eyes were diagnosed with macular degeneration and at the time there was zero treatment so that why I started my quest for better nutrition
the weight removale that came with the quest was a delightful surprise . So start focusing on better nutrition and see what happens this is a plan I can do for life .
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to jis4judy's response:
oh I forgot in ly list there is also fat free dairy I get my fats from nuts and avocados
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Hi Kim! Welcome! I came to this board almost 2 years ago much as you are except for the high triglycerides. I had dieted in the past and lost only to gain it all back as soon as I went off the diet. When I came here, I was basically doing the same thing, but thought I'd get some support from others trying to lose weight. Because of folks here, some have come and gone, I learned to REALLY acknowledge that this is a journey not a "diet" that you can go off of when you reach your goal. I have learned hundreds of things here about nutrition, getting though the discouraging times, etc., etc., etc., but the 100 percent most important thing that I have learned is just that simple - it's a lifelong journey not a temporary diet. Trust me, I had to do some soul searching to accept that. It was actually quite depressing, because on my past diets I had deprived myself. Once I realized that on this journey, I can still indulge occasionally in foods that I love (chips for one), it was very liberating. Good luck and you can do it. Log your food, watch nutrition, stay away from all trans-fats including margarine unless it's Smart Balance or something similar, increase good fats; olive oil, nuts in moderation, avocado, etc. and you will get those triglycerides down in time. Read labels carefully, there are hidden trans-fats in lots of processed foods.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

mefirstforever responded:

Welcome Kim63,
If you where diagnosed with fatty liver and height triglycerides. Your Doctor must have drummed up a lot of what not to eat and drink.
This will be the only way to get better. And live a long healthy life.
My husband was diagnosed with the same. And he stopped eating all white bread, white rice, most fats as and all processed sugars like white sugars, glucose etc ; he gets his sugar for the brain from the fresh fruits. Also the most important is no alcohol at all. Your liver is very tired and it needs all the help it can get.
Of course exercises is more than important.
You have to say no right now to all what hurts your liver.
You said it in your last phrase "Stop focusing on what I have never been able to do (negative) and focus on where I go from here (positive)"

Happy you decided to take care
Huggs
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 201 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

jean4u responded:
Hi KIm, Welcome here!

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
From one Kim to another... HIIIIIII !!!!!!
Well, for fatty liver, Helene is right. Even if you drink as little as one glass of beer, wine or a reg mixed drink a week, it can make your liver "fatty".
So that has to go.
LiveStrong has some really good articles about fatty liver, what to eat and what to avoid.
Here is one such that I like because I love using Extra Virgin food grade Coconut Oil.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/479470-foods-that-the-liver-loves/
Coconut Oil is one of the good fats that are out there.
I just turned 48 and couldn't even be considered a chronic dieter... I guess I was until my late 20s , but then, I guess I really stopped giving a hoot. I just got lazy and let it happen. My doctors would say they wanted me to lose weight, I'd be healthier if I lost.... and I'd go "yeh, yeh, I know" then make some crack about how I loved food and it liked me enough to stay with me longer than my husband did..... you know what I mean, lol
sigh
Well, anyhow.... I can't more strongly suggest that you start a food and fitness planner either here on WebMd or on Fitday.com. These are invaluable tools that will not only estimate how many calories and how much exercise you should shoot for daily, but also will let you do the "food diary" thing that most of us hated when it was done by hand, online and best of all, a lot of the normal everyday foods are already in their systems so all you have to do is type it in and log it, it'll calculate calories per serv and everything.... nice and easy.
It is best to try to drink about 64 oz of water a day. Easiest if you get a 32 oz water bottle or empty out a 32 oz gatorade bottle , like Roh did, and keep it full and take it everywhere with you.
Log and blog, it does help to have support and you can usually find one of us here or near to lean on or celebrate with.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

I joined this community in Sept. of 2011 and I believe I was around 222 lbs. at that time. I began a "diet" in June 2011 at 265 lbs. I was m...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.