Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Body parts = kids?
tnmist posted:
I was reading some posts about how our bad habits have hurt our bodies, and I just had a thought. I, too, struggle with doing what's best for my body. Okay, this may sound reallly dumb, and I'm just flying by the seat of my pants here, but what if I (you, any one of us) with tired livers, overworked kidneys, adrenal glands, etc., thought of each of those parts (liver, kidneys, bones/joints, skin, etc) as children and how each of them would feel when we reached for something to eat that would make them feel worse or even hurt them?

I only have 4-legged kids, but I wouldn't dream of giving them half the things I eat. Sigh. Maybe if I picture those parts of me that I'm hurting like little kids or something with big sad eyes and telling me, "Really? This is what I have to eat? This will make me feel worse!" Then picture them smiling with bright shiny eyes when I reach for the water, when I choose to exercise, etc.,...well, maybe that will help.

There are probably a lot of different directions I could go with this, and this could be one of the dumbest things I've written yet, but I'm just throwing it out there...

...she says as she drinks more water to give her kidneys, liver, brain, skin (and others) a smile...

-Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

jis4judy responded:
Hi Misty I think thats a great idea we allways say your body wiill thank you for treating it well with better health, If imagineing your body parts are starveing children that need nutrition that could work ...
and thinking of junk food as the poison it is helps too
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Actually Misty, thinking of each of our organs as individuals(people , puppies or mules for that matter) is maybe the best way to break it down to look at what each individual needs to stay healthy. Eyes take certain vitamins, liver needs something else, heart, kidneys.... they are just like unique individuals that need to be "fed" specific things to stay healthy or to get healthier after years of "abuse".
Good , "out of the box" thinking, actually.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
I like this analogy, Misty. Taking care of our bodies is what we are striving for and any thinking that helps us do that is a good idea.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

blondie454u responded:
That's a great way of looking at your body! I love this idea. So glad you posted this.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jean4u responded:
GREAT idea! I love visualization ideas to keep me on track.

Barb

tnmist replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks for the positive feedback...I hope it helps me, too. **giggle**

Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

jean4u replied to tnmist's response:
Yes, MISTY, we have to change our thinking about how we treat our bodies. We would make proper plans to have our kids needs taken care of each day, so WHY can't we do that for us. Just a change in our thinking, but that's what it takes to take the time to make sure our healthy needs get taken care of......and who's going to do that.......you got it.......US!!!

I really think the key to stay on this healthy journey is to change our thinking. This was a very slow process for me and I did have set backs not complete failures.

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

losing weight is possible,NOT EASY!!!! but possible. i have lost over 100 lbs, took me 3 years but its better to lose it slowely-no left over skin. I ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.