Skip to content
NEWly determined and NEW here
mog1026 posted:
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 218.8. GW 165 Wow, how will I ever do this? I've tried so many times before, but as the years have gone by the weight has kept on climbing until I find myself in a terrible crunch. My initial motivation was my son's wedding next October 26th, About a week into my 2013 healthy eating plan it became all about my KNEES!! Out of nowhere I hit an arthritis flare and I can hardly get around. I have done shots and just started physical therapy (ouch) but I have to get the weight off. At least 30 lbs to start. I've lost some weight but I need to keep going without being able to walk for exercise. Any and all suggestions and motivation are so appreciated. I'm using a Lose It app but boy is this s l o w.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

kalimiller responded:
Weight loss is a slow process. You didn't put it on overnight, and you won't be able to get it off overnight. Hang in there! You've already got a great start going for you. If you are having trouble with walking because of your knees, Kim has a good chair/seated exercise video that she can link for you that you should try out! Welcome!
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

mog1026 replied to kalimiller's response:
Thank you Kali. I would love to get the link to that video. I need to feel that I am doing something to help my situation! Time's a wasting and if I don't stay motivated I'm afraid I'll EAT!!!!

kalimiller replied to mog1026's response:
Hey, I just bumped a discussion up to the op from Kim for "all the newbies" - the link should be there somewhere!
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

totallywiggedout replied to kalimiller's response:
Actually, Kali, you just helped me, lol!!
"my Discussions" see all drop down menu has been acting up for over a month now and every time I try to get into it, it kicks me all the way out and back to the WebMd home page... I emailed tech support and they haven't been able to remedy it, so now, with your link to my newbie discussion, I have now pulled it to my homepage instead... so thanks!
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
Hi Kathy
welcome aboard food is one of the most important thing to get under control when trying to improve your health while removeing weight... Be aware of portions and stay as much away from proccessed foods as you can ...
Don;t be afraid to eat just have some healthy snacks available
and try not to eat after the evening hour mine is 8 pm I cut off all munching at 8 pm
that was my best decision because I was a night muncher I used to eat so much at night I was never hungry for breakfast Now with that cut off time I eat breakfast every day .
How many cals are you allowing your self ? I would suggest 1300 -1500 instead of the 1200 it is so hard to stick to 1200 and get all nutrients in .. Maybe that link is under resources to the sitting exercises I will take a look
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Kathy,
NOW I see that you are the Newbie that I'd overlooked... sorry bout that!
Welcome! check the resources for exercises and tips that are now posted, because Kali told me to and Judy prodded me AGAIN, lol
Ok ok it's done.
The seated core burns about 7 calories a min and is 12 min long. 96 calories and you can do it morning noon and night if you want to cause it's easy. But you WILL feel it in your Abs(stomach muscles) because whether you think so or not, you're FLABBY there, we all are and you'll notice after a couple of days that your abs HURT! Cause those muscles are working and getting stronger.... Keep at it! Because those ab muscles are literally going to help you walk better and be stronger and help you reestablish good posture and good gait (walking gait). I promise. It's helped me, it'll help you.

As Kali says, losing weight is slow. It's SUPPOSED to BE slow if you are doing it right. Fast weightloss NEVER EVER works forever. You always gain it back because you don't learn anything during the process of starvation diets other than 1. You are always hungry and 2. you HATE it.
You cannot lose 20 lbs in a month and do it healthily. It's not possible.
Try filling in a food and fitness planner either here or on fitday.com
these will tell you how many calories and how much exercise to shoot for daily.
be religious about logging everything that passes your lips. All condiments, all food, all drinks, all oils for food prep... everything measured and logged. IT WILL HELP to know what you are actually taking in in order to know how much exercise you need to do to subtract from that intake to reach the approx goal of 1200 cal per day to lose weight.
Drink LOTS of water, goal is 1/2 gallon a day.
Do some sort of activity EVERY DAY... walking may hurt but do it. It keeps your joints "oiled' and keeps em from setting up with arthritis.
Concentrate on gait. Especially with knee and hip problems. If you start to waddle like a weeble, then slow down and make sure you are walking "heel to toe" like in normal walking gait.
Your journey is just starting. It's not a race. You have the rest of your life to do it.
Even if you just lose that first 30 before the wedding, it's still a couple of dress sizes down.
Don't overwhelm yourself with goals on a grande scale. You'll get upset and quit if it doesn't go as planned. Take it slow, and do it right.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Kathy! You have made the best decision of your life. The weight loss will help your arthritis so much that you will feel like a new person. I have a friend with arthritis and she had lapband surgery a couple of years ago, lost about 60 lbs. and was a different person. Sadly, she has gained most, if not all back (not that she has said or that I have asked, but it's pretty obvious). She is back to barely being able to get around and it makes me so sad for her. I love her dearly and just want her to be healthy! She inspired me to lose the weight when I saw the change in her. Another reason to do this the slow, old-fashioned way and learning new habits with eating. Congrats on the weight you've already lost and keep it up.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jean4u responded:
Kathy, You WILL do this, one meal at a time, one snack at a time and the healthy days add up.

Progress not perfection. The turtle DID win the race.

Barb

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

mog1026 replied to kalimiller's response:
I found the videos! Great ideas to supplement the physical therapy! Thank you again.

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Oh lots of good info here! I already drink the water because I once had a kidney stone! It changes your desire for water and gallons of it every day. LOL! ...besides who want to use a calorie on a drink? Also I am using the Lose It food diary app and I love it. What I'm missing is the movement so I need to do something everyday. BTW I love your quotations. The first is so true and the second is so funny.

mog1026 replied to abnersmom's response:
I'm so sorry for your friend. I really really don't want to go the lapband route. It's impossible to believe that my will isn't strong enough to make this happen. I'm hoping that this won't be my "Year of Magical Thinking"!!! That story is reason enough to stay on the program. Thank you for giving me that motivation and showing me that the weight loss CAN make a difference.

mog1026 replied to jean4u's response:
I'd make a turtle noise if she had a voice! Thanks for the encouragement.

mog1026 replied to blondie454u's response:
Wow you were really successful! I'll have whatever you were having to eat! Thanks for the welcome cutie

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello everyone, I'm a 46 year old mother of a son, two dogs, and two fish...LOL. I'm married and really need to loose this weight for myself. ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.