Skip to content
Snowed in Question
mog1026 posted:
I'm sitting here with a foot of snow outside and it's still coming down. I've got time to think and I'm wondering about skipping meals. I know that most "experts" say no no no, and lately some "experts" say it doesn't matter if you are controlling your calories. But you all must have valuable anecdotal experience which beats the experts every time in my book. Can it be useful if your weight is stuck? Do you eat a meal if you are not really hungry?

jis4judy responded:
Ok I will answer I was going through radiation therapy after my breast cancer fight and the radiation ruins appetite I forced myself to eat at least half of my normal meals during this time because I knew my body needed the nutrients to help me heal.
But the Idea of skipping meals causes you to eat more in the evening and therefor it is a bad idea, hunger is sometimes misread if you skip meals you feel starved that leads to over eating later.
My whole journey is based on good nutrition not nessesarily weight removale,,so I am a little one sided
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
I'll chime in too. I knew it has something to do with insulin spikes and plunges, but I wanted to make sure.
here's a link I think you should read.
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/3-reasons-skipping-meals-is-unhealthy.html

It pretty well illustrates why you shouldn't skip meals.
But, when people, even US here , say "meals" that doesn't always mean you have to do a huge sit down , 3 course extravaganza.... if you aren't hungry the best thing to do is eat light to keep your blood glucose level throughout the day.
wrap a lettuce leaf around a piece of turkey breast, add 1/4 of a sliced apple or some raisins for more fiber if you want
or
Just eat an apple and a small handful of almonds
or
have a smoothie, like my pumpkin smoothie or one of the others on our recipes page, or make up your own
Something small, is still SOMETHING , so you really don't have to skip, just think small
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
If you're thinking of skipping meals due to lack of exercise remember you can still workout indoors. You can use videos or youtube. I used to walk up and down the hallway back and forth at brisk walking pace with a pedometer to count my steps or would time my walking. Don't ever skip meals like the others have stated it can make things worse.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 48 and would like to shed 50 pounds. I have been a vegetarian for 30 years; I love to be active outdoors; I feel like I have a healthy lifesty...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.