Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
KISS-G* (simplicity)
tnmist posted:
(*Keep It Simple, Silly Goose) I much prefer that over "Keep it simple, stupid," and I use the phrase "silly goose" as an endearment to friends and kids alike....Any-who, I made it through the store today without buying anything I shouldn't have, and I'm making a big pot of vegetable soup just to keep it simple for awhile. Cooking for one, but I've never been able to make a SMALL batch of soup, LOL. I think I had to dust off my stove, ha!! I don't mind cooking, but it is harder to cook when it's just me.

I decided to consider it as cooking for my inner kids - heart, liver, spleen, pancreas, brain, joints, etc. Now that there is a veritable troup to provide for, well, it helps me to think more positively about cooking.

-Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

totallywiggedout responded:
Misty, doyou like stir frys? I made up a really REALLY good one last night, and they are really easy to make for just one person.
This one was beef ,broccoli and gr peppers with some whole wheat spaghetti noodles with a nice rich sauce.... if you want I'll post that recipe (for one serving) on our recipes. Just let me know
Most of the recipes that I had posted there are for single serving sizes anyhow so you may want to look on it for some ideas.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

tnmist replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I do, indeed, enjoy stir fry and even have a wok. Sure, post away! I haven't noticed the recipe posts, but they must be over here on the right somewhere. I prefer one-dish meals personally. I know some folks don't, but it works for me. No need to change anything to make it single-serving because I usually eat off what I make for a few days. Thank you for the thought.

I'm a brown rice or whole wheat noodle girl myself. Learned a long time ago that that white stuff acts like sugar in the body - body breaks it down like sugar, and that sure doesn't help anyone with diabetes or metabolic syndrome.

I have a good bread recipe for those who bake bread. Maybe I should post that sometime. It isn't technically whole wheat because there is more bread flour than whole wheat, but there is some tofu, flax seed and honey in it, and it comes out quite yummy. I have a bread machine but do the actual baking in the oven because I prefer the traditional shape of a loaf of bread without a hole in one end. I don't use it nearly often enough and tend to use it to make gift loaves, ha.

-Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

abnersmom replied to tnmist's response:
Hey Misty, the bread I bake has more unbleached white flour than whole wheat as well. I think too much whole wheat flour makes it too dense, but I substitute 1 cup of soy flour for 1 cup of the white flour and it turns out fine.

I cook for one as well and since I like simple meals it's not a chore at all. I make big batches of chicken barley chili and chicken noodle soup and freeze them in single serving containers. Am going to make tomato basil today and freeze that. I grab a container on my way to work and it thaws before my lunch hour. Nice healthy lunch when I add a piece of fruit.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

mefirstforever responded:
Yay Misty,

On the NSV (non scale victory), going true the store and buying only good struff.!!!

When I make a big pot of soup, I usually freeze some in individual portions, Great for a quick lunch with some grated cheese on top.

Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 201 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

jean4u replied to mefirstforever's response:
Yes, I like when this board celebrates our NSV's!

Barb

tnmist replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks, ya'll. NSV. That's a new one to me. I like it, though.

Kim, that recipe sounds interesting. Never would have thought of PB. Thanks for posting it. Looks like this board could use a Pinterest spot!

I'll just add a thought here...It's only March, and I had to MOW. MOW! Okay, I'm not ready for outside work yet. I have a push mower (and not self-propelled), which is my mom's old mower. Was grateful it started, ha. I work on Sunday, and by the time I picked up sticks and started mowing I was losing daylight, but I decided to finish. That was only the front yard. Normally it takes less than an hour, but the grass/weeds were thick, and I think my mower's blade is bent, so it wasn't mulching properly. I practically went over it twice, and I know it needs finishing up in some spots where I literally couldn't tell what I was doing anymore, ha. Killed my back, wore me out, heated me up, but I survived to tell the tale.

The backyard I will have to do in stages, and that needs some serious picking up of sticks. Wish I could train my dog to help! He is more interested in finding/eating rabbit pellets - Ewww! I really want to do a better job with my yards this year. Last year was a terrible year emotionally as I worked thru stuff, but I'm hoping this year will be better.

Now to get my mower to the shop before it gets busy and get it in better condition to be used for another season...
-Misty

totallywiggedout replied to tnmist's response:
Misty, I sorta stumbled on pb as an additive because most Chinese recipes use peanut oil. I usually don't just have that around, actually, never have that around, and still wanted the flavor that it imparted. So , enter pb. I even sometimes use chunky pb if I want the crunchiness of the nuts, which is nice when doing stir frys with snow peas, bean sprouts, bean shoots and water chestnuts.... It just all works well together.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u replied to tnmist's response:
Misty, Wow, March and MOW, MOW! I'm with you on not ready for that yet. Just take care you don't hurt yourself with overdoing it.

Barb

abnersmom replied to tnmist's response:
You sure got in your exercise for the day, Misty! Glad you are taking the backyard in stages. Smart gal!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

mefirstforever replied to tnmist's response:
Love to do yard work. For me it is real therapy. Connecting with nature.

You have great plans.
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 201 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

kalimiller replied to tnmist's response:
I don't mind mowing - it's a good workout for me. I do have to say though, that my least favorite part it the picking up of sticks and rocks and dog toys that have accumulated. It takes forever and by the time I finish the whole yard, I have to go back over it again because my dogs have found a "new" pile of sticks to play with and have distributed them again. LOL
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

blondie454u responded:
That's great Misty!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Melanie and I am in college. Since I was young I was obese. I first realized I was overweight in 4th grade when the school nurse weighed me...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.