Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Time to buy a blender
rohvannyn posted:
Hey all. I'm having a little challenge staying on my plan at the moment... all those tasty foods I like to eat rely on a good set of teeth to chew them! And I just broke another tooth. I have a while till I can get it fixed. Lapse in dental coverage, etc, and now I have coverage again but have to get established with a new dentist. And I really hate dentists so I've been putting it off. That's on me, I know, but still...

Anyway, I don't want to risk further damage before I can get my three broken teeth (two old and one new) fixed. That means no nuts (sob) and be careful with my apples and microwave my vegetables till they are really soft (double sob) and make protein shakes when I can get the dough to buy more mix. I'm trying hard to stay away from things like white potatoes because even though they are soft they will go straight to my stomach and make me even hungrier.

Any soft foods that don't require too much chewing that anyone can think of?
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Roh, wondered about where you'd been lately. Sux to be you with that newly broken tooth though, nasty stuff. Sorry to hear about that.
About your need for some soft recipes... I'm ON it , lol
here we go....
http://www.enjoyyourcooking.com/appetizers-and-snacks/chicken-liver-pate.html
or
http://www.enjoyyourcooking.com/main-dish-recipes/crepes-with-fresh-cheese.html
which I'd personally use a mix of neuchatel and ff small curd cottage cheese for the "fresh" cheese
or any of these
http://www.enjoyyourcooking.com/tag/soft-food/page/2

also there's things like homemade dumplings stuffed with baked and mashed acorn squash or pumpkin which are really good, but can be made with lg pasta shells easier
or
potato dumplings or pierogies
chicken a la king made with ground chicken on soft biscuits
and of course
most any egg dish is soft or can be made that way.

hope this helps some
poor you!
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy responded:
Hi Roh sorry about the teeth Yogurt comes to mind and maybe broth based soups sweet potatoes baked can be rather mushy and good
Oat meal for breakfast isn;t too chewy
If I can think of more I wil post them later or tomorrow
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Sorry about the tooth, Roh. That does make it tough. Kim and Judy have given you some good ideas. It sounds like the blender is a good idea too. You can make your own veggies baby food style! Let us know how it goes.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jean4u responded:
Roh, Sorry about those teeth and the lack of dental coverage. Well, do your best to "ride" out the time it takes to get your dental work done. Do you have a dental school/college nearby that will take you for a lower cost? Just a thought.

Back to food: I saw a recipe for mashed potatoes on a vegan site that added beans to it. You could mash the beans, even add nutritional yeast. This would be much more filling than just taters.

Barb

rohvannyn replied to jean4u's response:
Not to worry, as I mentioned I actually do have dental coverage, but I need to wait till I can get in to see them for exams and then probably schedule an appointment for the actual repairs around a difficult work schedule. I can't afford medical coverage but dental and vision is only a few bucks a month so I do that.

Grains are still out of the question, so no oatmeal... it messes me up too badly. Softened beans aren't a bad idea in moderation so thanks for that suggestion. Nutritional yeast is definitely my friend. I made a protein shake (hand shook, made of casein powder, powdered milk, stevia, cocoa powder, and cinnamon) and that worked pretty well.

Why do these things have to happen five days BEFORE grocery shopping? No more food purchases till then. Ah well, I just miss my almonds!
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks for the resources, Kim! Maybe this will be an opportunity to really watch what I eat.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
No problem Roh. I've thought of a recipe, which I used to Absolutely LOVE but haven't thought about or made in a few years that would be great for your easy to chew necessities. I'll post it out on the recipes in our resources section.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

blondie454u responded:
You got some great suggestions so I hope it all goes smooth for you.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout replied to blondie454u's response:
LOL, Amber!
Blender/All goes Smooth.... Aren't WE witty this morning!
huggs
k

blondie454u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
You know I didn't even think of it that way when I typed it but yes that was good one for this topic LOL!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rohvannyn replied to blondie454u's response:
Nice one. Well, just a little update... I discovered that all fillings are completely covered under my dental plan, no out of pocket, so as long as I don't need a crown or root canal or something I won't have to pay anything beyond my normal premium. They have me in to get me looked at next tuesday, don't know if I'll get any work done then. They could have gotten me in today but I had to have time to schedule a shift trade. *sigh*

Oh well. Friday I get to buy protein powder! Yay! Looking forward to that blender if I can find a cheap one. Meantime I'll bug my spouse to make me chicken soup.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

blondie454u replied to rohvannyn's response:
That's great on the insurance. I hope you don't need anything other than fillings. Good luck!

abnersmom replied to rohvannyn's response:
Great news about the insurance, Roh! Good luck next Tues. Sorry you can't go until then, but at least you can go!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

rohvannyn responded:
  • sigh* At least the "un-needed" chunk fell off my back tooth so it's easier to keep clean. Still no pain, thank heaven. The dentist said I need like four root canals and four or five crowns and a bunch of fillings. Insurance doesn't cover that well at all, of course, though it does give fillings and cleanings and x rays for free. So it's down to deciding what to just yank out and what to try and salvage. I'll probably end up with dentures by the time I'm fifty at the latest, anyway. This dentist didn't really treat me that well, and still hasn't actually told me the fees for the crowns yet, either. I'm going to go look for a better dentist and explain the treatment I got to my insurance company when they ask why I'm changing.

I think they may have underestimated my intelligence because I was dressed somewhat grubbily, but you know what? I'm poor because I work full time, pay my bills, pay extra to eat healthy food, and don't ask for government help to do that. I deserve better treatment.

Next project: making my own mouthwash and toothpaste, without all the chemicals and junk in them that I don't want to put in my body. I have a couple good recipes.

...and still looking for a blender.
    Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

• Spotlight: Member Stories

Now that my daughter is 19 and busy with college, work and her boyfriend, I feel like it's time to focus on myself. I am 43 and I REALLY want to g...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
    Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.