Skip to content
Why can't we just be skinny like the rest of the world.
beautifulbuffalo posted:
Why do we have to struggle through our lives to be thin. Why not just accept ourselves as we are and eat right.

I have no metabalism as I say. I suffer iron deficiency but that is a lifetime problem since the age of 4. My Vitamin D is low even taking the vitamin D pills.

I try to walk as much as I can but my left leg bothers me so much. And I'm not as flexable as I wish I was.

I had a hardboied egg for breakfast And a 1/2 of peanut butter sandwich for a snack Then I couldn't find anything to eat for lunch so I said screw it and ate one of my husbands candy bars.
I'm not rich I can't afford all the right foods.

BB

kalimiller responded:
Woah. So many posts.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

kalimiller responded:
I don't think that any of us on this site are rich. I think it just comes down to making good choices. You can get a candy bar for a dollar at the store - or you can get 3 pounds of bananas. Or, you could get a bag of frozen veggies for a dollar. Peas, or corn, or green beans, or mixed veggies. There are healthy options out there. It just is a process of deciding what to get and swapping out the unhealthy for healthier choices.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

jis4judy responded:
Hi BB to get to a healthy weight it requires some planning and makeing sure you have the Healthiest choices available
winging it and hopeing for a miracle is a waste of time it isn;t gonna be there . this journey requires commitment to self that you will treat your body as if it were a special love of your life. that you want to be around for a long time..
Plan ahead and make the healthy food available to you . I accually spend less now than when I was obese ..I am not rich
Like the previous poster mentioned none of us are rich
we do what we can to get the proper nutrients in our bodies.
a candy bar will only compilcate the problem
I hope something in this post will help you get the aha moment
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
BB,
Please don't struggle to be thin. FIGHT to be healthy and fit.
I'm not rich either. There have been times , even in this last year , that with familial problems we have gotten so low on money for the week that we have had to watch our consumption of the toilet paper.... no joke.
You are right. It was probably easier to grab that candy bar instead of fixing something. Especially if it was a "meal for one". Obviously you know that wasn't a great choice. But you owned up to it, so that's a step in the right direction. It's better than "closet eating" which I KNOW we have all done.
Let's be totally honest though. You knew those candy bars were there. They probably had been "calling" you since you woke up. So when the time came to find some lunch possibilities, your resolve finally buckled. You had that candy in mind , so you figured NOTHING was going to satisfy you unless and until you ate one. Searching through the cupboards and the fridge would have been fruitless because, deep down, you had already made up your mind that you were going to eat that candy.
NOW is the time to punish yourself for eating it. I'm not kidding here. Maybe it's time to take the hardline with your thought patterns.
Candy, cakes, pastries, donuts, huge plates of pasta, etc are NO LONGER a REWARD. They should be thought of as a sin against the GIFT that GOD gave you. So you need to do something truly GRUELING, something that may even make your muscles really ACHE for a couple of days to PAY YOUR BODY BACK for EACH time you sin like that. Really work up a sweat, and once you start sweating, KEEP GOING for a while longer. MAKE SURE you understand that you won't be allowing this reward system to continue.
Once you do this a few times, your brain will start to associate the bad stuff with hardship. Make yourself do it. Try it. It truly sucks , but it can make you start thinking about foods in a whole different light.
I think it's time for you to start saying "NO" to your inner child.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, that was a refreshingly honest and helpful strategy you posted. Making the hard decisions and reprogramming your mind can be done, though it's tough at first. That was a needed reminder to me.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
LOL Roh, refreshingly, or Brutally?? The problem with talking about how fat you are , how much your arthritis or back or whatever hurts, how much you TRIED to stay away from the candy HERE, is that you are expressing all of these excuses to fellow FAT people, lol. We've ALL been there and done that, so to speak.
We don't just commisserate with eachother, we KNOW exactly how and what it is. Literally , you can't bs a bs'er.
And I catch BB doing the EXACT same things that I know I've done. So this repentance thing? I personally DO that. And , yes, it DOES suck. But darnnit I should and do know better than to eat that crap and if I "sin" then I do a little more than a few Hail Marys. I HAVE to. Because I know, if I give myself an inch.... I'll take a mile.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

abnersmom responded:
"Why not accept ourselves as we are and eat right." Been there done that. I remember saying to people that I eat healthy - just too much. Now, I realize how dumb that really was. Here's my belief: the best way to love myself is to take as good care of my mind, body, spirit as I possibly can. Accepting one's self doesn't mean that you ignore the things about yourself that you can improve. I do accept that I have a food addiction, but that doesn't mean that I have to accept that I can't control it because I CAN.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy responded:
Hi BB the thing is we do have to accept ourselves and love our bodies before we can take better care of it . that all part of the life style change that is nessesary to get a healthy body .. you must know thst if we love someone we take real good care of that person . so treat yourself as you wopuld someone you love //

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Amen, Debbie and Judy, AMEN!
huggs
k

blondie454u responded:
The rest of the world isn't skinny. Have you heard the statistics lately? There are more overweight people than skinny people. Yes there are some skinny people that can eat whatever they want and they don't get fat. Well guess what? Those people will not be able to do that forever. It will catch up with them. Also their blood work will be horrible if they don't eat the right foods. Meaning they too are killing their body slowly but surely. I like to call those the skinny fat people. Skinny on the outside but fat on the inside. Why not be both skinny healthy on the inside and the outside? If you eat healthy you will lose weight. You have to eat the right kind of foods in the right portions. This isn't a struggle to be thin but to be healthy. That is were your thought process is wrong. If you look at this for vanity reasons then you will do things that are wrong for this journey. You have a metabolism, you just have work to get it back up again. Muscle is your fat burner. In order to build muscle you have to work your body. As far as the hurting and flexibility start doing some stretching. It will help with both. Look on youtube for stretching videos for beginners. I am sure they have something. You can also just google it. Kim is right you knew the candy was wrong and you have admitted to it. That's a great step. She is also right you have to punish yourself for it. I am not religious but it's a sin to be glutton. You're suppose treat you body as temple, something you cherish. You only live once. Why not treat as you want it to treat you back so you can the things you want in life? If you want to be flexible and out of pain then treat it with providing it with healthy good choices for your body. That candy had sugar so therefore it causes inflammation, which in turns cause more pain. More sugar more pain. The decisions are up to you. You have to decide what it is you really want.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

beautifulbuffalo replied to blondie454u's response:
What if you gained weight because of medication.l I take Lithium and I just got off of serequel. Both weight gainers and thisis when I gained my weight. I can't go off the lithium for certain reasons. So not everybody is over weight because of overeating.
BB

totallywiggedout replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Hi BB, you are right, serequel has pretty high weight gain probability. I found , with some looking that it's a 50/50 possibility with Lithium. Some do, some actually lose weight.
Now that you are off the serequel, I'm hoping that your dr has tested you for diabetes. because that also was a high possibility with that particular medication by the looks of it.
Basically, what you are taking are brain altering drugs that depress certain brain functions making them work more "normally" (or what is taken for normal in this world, lol)
Like antidepressants, this slight, numbing down can make you less conscious or less CONCERNED about your food choices. It's alot like being tired all the time, just a little fuzzy around the edges, right?
Well, you need to exercise to get more blood flowing to your brain. It will definitely help to clear the cobwebs. Get out and try to walk some. I don't care if it's just to the end of the driveway, go do it. You will feel better after you get some fresh air.
Also. because of the meds you will tend to do what's easier, like grabbing that candy bar for lunch. Stop that. You are going to have to push through the drug induced laziness and get your life under some semblance of control. Don't use the meds as an excuse to be lazy about eating right. Those meds didn't make you eat that candy. YOU did that. They make it harder to WANT to fix a meal, maybe , but do it anyhow. Even if you only boil up 8 eggs and have egg salad on some chopped lettuce. That's EASY to fix.
If you don't start to take control, you're gonna die before you even begin to live.
huggs
k

blondie454u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I like that last part Kim. "You're gonna die before you even begin to live" I love this Kim. You're becoming very profound lately. I like it!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jis4judy replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Hi BB Jayne some of my weight was from medication too but I did remove it
anyway . I took prednisone for years and It did contribute some of my weight gain but my choices made it worse .. since I cleaned up my intake of foods My asthma went away so you have nothing but good that can happen if you choose better food to eat than your usual...

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 56 years old and I weigh 270 lbs. I have been over weight my entire life. I have lost 60 lbs since I had the gastric sleeve but I'm stuck ...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.