Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hello All
itsashayduh posted:
Hello All =>

In the last week i have decided that i am done being over weight and that it is time to do something about it and i figure i should start with a bit of support and i heard that this was a great place for the support that i need.
I am about 70 pounds over weight at 190 lbs. That might not sound like alot, but i am only 5'1"
I dont even completely want to lose all of the extra pounds, i just want to be able to fit into a size 5-6 pants. I know that is an long shot from a pant size 16-17, but i want to work to it.
The reason it is so hard for my to be big now, is because prior to hip surgeries 5 years ago when i was only 17, i was thin and healthy. Since the long term, one year, of bed rest and not being active since, the pounds have stayed on.
I hope to get a gym membership next week, but i need tips on staying motivated. That is my biggest down fall.
Here goes nothing!! =>
-Shay

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi sashay, Welcome
Whomever told you that this was a good support group was.... RIGHT !
You are right though too. 190 on a 5'1 frame with new hips is too heavy. You want them to last as long as possible, especially since you are so young. So let's get you started.
First off. Start a food and fitess planner either here or on Fitday.com
Put in that you are the LEAST active choice for daily exercise right now because this will give you the best beginning reference pt once the computer figures out what you need to shoot for in daily caloric intake and exercise output to help you reach your goal.
We have two great links to past discussions that I try to point every newby to, especially if you may have some physical limitations that you are also dealing with along with being overweight.
Once you log in, you will find them in the Resources link in left of page on this community.
Exercises
Recipes.
check them out, log and blog with us. This is a great group to come to for support.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
Hi Shay and welcome. It's great that you've decided to improve your health. It sounds like you are motivated. When you start seeing success, that will help you to stay motivated, but it's not going to happen overnight. This journey is frustrating at times, but so worth the end result. Share your successes and failures with us and we will try to help!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Shay
welcome aboard I am glad you found us we are a supportive group . So what steps have you taken so far in improveing your health by eating healthy.. Whata most of us agree on is makeing changes you can live with for life ... Portion size is important and minimizing junk intake would be good too .
Kim is one of our best cheerleaders and will also be first to correct you if she thinks you are makeing excuses.. the best way to stay motivated is internal self talk give yourself some reasons for avoiding the poisons in proccessed foods .. I use self talk a lot ... the more close to nature your food choices are the better it will be ..if it is in a box learn to read labels so you can be aware of what you are consumeing try not to buy things with artificial ingredients that isn;t even food..
and be aware this is a long proccess you are changeing your life . I focused my journey on better nutrition and it worked great for me ...that doesn;t meen I never eat soemthing I shouldn';t but it is smaller amounts and less often that my rules
Just let us know how best we can help and we will try are best OK? Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Since the others have chimed in and given great advice. I'm just going to say welcome aboard. This is an awesome group!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Starting at 310 lbs, 48 years old, diabetic w/heart issues, I have chosen to go the route of Bariatric Gastric By-pass surgery on April 24, 2013. My p...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 76 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.