Skip to content
Trying again...
rachael2011 posted:
I really should be on the 100lbs+ board ( I weigh 325) but this one is so active and I go to it periodically for inspiration. Anyways, all of my adult life I have been morbidly obese. Over the past decade, I have been on weight watchers, used the web MD diet planner, cut my calories to an acceptable level and exercised--no real gimmicks mind you, I did what I was supposed to. And I lost maybe 40lbs only to find an excuse and gain it back, go back to my binging (real binging not just overeating) and emotional eating, get frustrated and try again.

I felt really good when I was eating right and exercising. I have my share of mental problems and even they were eased when I was eating right. My knees are always killing me so walking is out, but the exercise bike at the gym for 30- 40 min with 10-15 min on the treadmill afterward to cool down was great. Even the knee pain lessened.

Drawbacks include not having the money for a therapist although I do see a psychiatrist every 3 months for med management. Also my live in boyfriend of 3 years is also morbidly obese and struggles w/ the same issues. We either bring each other up when one of us makes a healthy meal like turkey chili or we can bring each other way down ordering 2 large pizzas from Domino's, which is more often the case lately. I am at fault as much as him, if not more so. He does respect me when I am trying and not binge around me if he is choosing to do that. But sometimes I am like Eve w/ the apple only with Burger King.

You ladies really seem to have it together. How do I make it stick this time?

By the way, I really liked the answers to the post about making yourself "pay for sinful eating" and will try to do as much as I can when I do this; I need to get out of the wallowing in self-pity mindset.

kalimiller responded:
Welcome! You are more than welcome to stay on this board. We have people on here that are maintaining, try to lose just 5 pounds, 20, 50, 100, or more. Please stay and chime in whenever you want.

One thing to do is not think of this as dieting. Starting with one thing at a time is a great way to do it. Changing everything that you do at one time is just asking for failure. One thing that is easy to incorporate into our lives is drinking more water. Drink 64 ounces a day. Drink a glass of water before you eat anything. Like Kim says, if you are feeling like you need a snack, you might just be thirsty. Drink a glass of water and then wait 10 minutes. If you are still hungry, have a protein filled snack. Small changes add up over time. Don't feel like you have to change everything overnight.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

jis4judy responded:
welcome Rachael
don;t despare I was a binger too and I had many false starts before it stuck ..My plan was to eat healthy only good for my body foods I try to eliminate any proccessed foods and it worked for me ...I am sure it can work for you also remember this isn;t a diet it is a way to eat forever because diets are temporary and going back to old ways of eating just sets you up to fail ... Maybe have a heart to heart with your partner and do this together make promises to yourselves that it is for better health not slim bodies although a slim body is a nice side effect
I ate approx 1500 cals to lose weight I could never exist on 1200 i would starve we aren;t about starveing here thats for sure , working out is a good thing any movement you can do is so helpful to your body .
Let us know how we can help and we will do our best
I have been maintaining almost a decade on the board I never mmoved on so everyone is welcome it is helpful for me to keep my journey in the front of my mind..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Yo-Yo yo yer' boat..... Hi Rachael. Yep, we've all been on THAT stream. The bingeing, the redemptive starvation, then eating to console ourselves because we starved ourselves, then bingeing again because consoling ourselves ALWAYS leads to spoiling ourselves......LOL over and over and over.....(insert eye roll here )
Again, been there, done that.
OK then.. onward. If your bf is willing, get him on this comm blog too. The more the merrier and we aren't just women here, mostly yes, but not ALL. And having the input of men on this board , like having members of all ages and weights, helps us stay fresh and ALIVE.(meaning, it keeps it HOPPIN , BABY!)
BUT, and this is a biggie, IF he decides to just "let it be" about his weight, that's HIS perogative. He's a big boy (pun intended) and your main concern here IS and SHOULD BE ....YOU.
Now, for your physical limitations.
I'm assuming that your knee pain is from carrying so much weight, not actually from injury, since you can ride an exercise bike.
Walking isn't entirely out, IF you do something about LOAD BEARING. Shopping carts and those nifty little folding walkers with wheels , now avail at most Walmarts, are perfect for taking some of the loas off your knees while you walk.
NOONE says you HAVE to buy something when you shop. Instead of grabbing a driveable non ambulatory cart at the store, grab a cart and do a little walking. Even if your bf takes a driveable cart, switch off and on with him so you both get some rest, this could definitely help get some exercise in.
Try our comm exercise discussion link. You will find the 12 min Seated Core vid from Sparkpeople. This is excellant for beginners and people with limitations. It will help strengthen your Core abdominal muscles which will in turn help you walk better.
The links for all of these FREE videos is on the left of the page under "Resources" . You must be signed in and ON THIS comm site to find it as each comm has it's own seperate listings.
You will also find our recipes which are really good , and super easy recipes that we have developed and links to sites that are "member tested" too.
keep blogging , it does help to have support. We won't let you fall if you just reach out.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

mefirstforever responded:

Hi Rachael,

I join the group in welcoming you!
You've come to the right place. There is no magic just a balancing act.
Like the ladies said no diet will help

It's all in choices we make and I see that you all ready started exercise great

Hope you keep on coming back, instead of steps to the fridge you can come and chat. Sometime it is just boredom. After an hour of comments on the blog and guess what you don't feel the hunger and have extra incentive to continue on your quest for better health.

Huggs
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 201 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard. We don't care how much weight you need to loose, just that you came to get help. Even us that are maintaining need support. That's why I am still here. I get ideas and tips because this is a never ending journey. I don't like doing and eating the same things over and over again. Got to keep it new or it's threw. Words of Chris Rock. I use this quote for my relationships. This journey is a relationship with yourself, food, and exercise. You either hate it or love it. I love being healthy so I have to keep it new to keep me going.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rachael2011 replied to blondie454u's response:
Hi everyone. Thanks for everyone's welcomes and input. I talked to Will (my bf) last night and showed him this site. He agreed with me that we both should start by not allowing fast food, carry out or delivery (which is a huge problem for me nutritionally and financially) in our house for a month. Get in the habit of making meals at home. We promised that it would be OK to "keep each other honest" without fear of pissing the other off. We will see how that goes.
Either way, Kim, you're right. My main concern should be me. I can't force him and he can't force me. We aren't in the motorized WalMart carts yet but we will be, with the track that we are currently on.
Also, I haven't been on the "ole bike at the gym since December, so next week (I work in a group home all weekend) I will go back a half hour Mon thru Thurs. If I find I don't make it in, I checked out the videos you suggested and I will do that in the evening. Bottom line is I have to do something physical each day I am not working before I go to bed, so if I procrastinate and don't go to the gym I have options at home. Its weird but I do miss the goofy bike.

abnersmom replied to rachael2011's response:
Great idea to have have a one month fast food ban. I love mini goals and think that they really help us on our journeys. By the way, welcome to the group!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

blondie454u replied to rachael2011's response:
Sounds like you're getting it together. Making slow changes is the best way. Good luck!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout replied to rachael2011's response:
Rachael,
That's right. There are always other options. I have a Wii that I adore. When I get bored some evenings, I go in and do Wii fitness. Nothing like a few rounds of tennis , some baseball practice against weebles to let you "play" while exercising, lol
People tend to forget that exercise comes in all forms. It doesn't have to be at a gym where your size may make you uncomfortable.
Sometimes I go to the local hospital and just walk up their 6 flights of stairs. It's free and literally noone else uses em, elevators are so much easier, you know. I think maybe that's some of the problem with our society. Some egghead builds a way to make our lives easier and all of a sudden, we can't (or won't) pick the harder way even though we know it is healthier.
But don't forget things like going out for a night of bowling, or dancing, or even playing pool. It's all MOVEMENT. It all burns calories. And it doesn't look like, smell like, FEEL like exercise.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 27 years old with a ten month old daughter...I have been heavyset all my life and as i got into high school my weight dropped well ive been going...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.