Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Slump
tnmist posted:
I'm really in a slump and getting worse. I used to take an antidepressant for many, many years, and I've been off of it now for over a year. I do supplements, but it hasn't been enough recently. I should have done something outside today because it was just gorgeous weather, but I didn't muster up the energy to do anything. Rather than go back to an antidepressant, I want to tackle this differently. I know exercise is an immediate mood-lifter, and making healthy choices will help, too. I'm my own worst enemy.

I'm not knocking medication if needed; I'm only speaking for myself. So many American diseases are from poor lifestyle choices.

I just wish I had made different choices today, but it started with not making good choices last night and staying up much too late to do well today. I can't take back today, but I can strive to make better choices tomorrow. I would rather feel good about making strides in the right direction than beating myself up for yet another wasted day.

Thanks for listening.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

jis4judy responded:
Hi Misty
we all have down days and sometimes a walk outside can make it all better.. all depends on what it is that we are down about..Look within and figure out what is making you feel
bad and change it if you can ..' remember the serenity prayer I think Helene mentioned it in her post
help me to accept the things I cannot change and change the thing I can and the wisdom to know the difference I may have worded it a bit wrong but that's it essentially a lot of things that we have zero control over can make us sad
best to forget those things and work on what you can ..
B complex is a great supplement for moods I think
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rachael2011 responded:
Hi Misty. I agree with you that exercise and good diet can be a great mood lifter. Its like the reverse of the slump you described. You feel good and that makes you want to keep making positive changes. On the flip side, when you feel bad it seems to be a big cycle complete with the poor choices that make you feel even worse. Still, an antidepressant can be a tool to help you make the good choices if you are clinically depressed. . Eventually maybe you won't need it anymore; maybe you will.
I was on a psych med for several years and didn't have any symptoms for about a year, so I got off it this past December. Recently I noticed the symptoms coming back so I reordered the med (w the doc's OK) this week. I am hoping it helps on this journey.

It's a hard choice. Good luck to you.

rachael2011 replied to jis4judy's response:
So true that the things that often make us sad are the things we have no control over. I am going to sleep tonight (gotta be up real early!) listing the things in my life that I have control over and can change if I choose to.

totallywiggedout responded:
Misty,
It's hard to decide to make healthier choices. It's harder to stick with it. And sometimes, having feelings of "deprivation" from our past overindulgences can make us feel mopey.
A few days of it is ok but , please don't let it become an emotional burden. If you need to go back on some light antidepressants to help "clear your skies" to better see your goals, then , there's no reason not to.
The side effects of depression, like lack of sleep, can so badly undermine your efforts to eat right and exercise, and to BE HAPPY. ... it's just not worth putting up with.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

tnmist replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and advice. Kim, I doubt that I have "deprived" myself enough to even get to a mopey feeling. This is from other stuff in my life. I just feel so stuck with every part of my life, not just putting off making healthier food choices. Work has me so stressed, for one thing, that I'm even dreaming about it now. And there are personal things going on, too. Well, I don't want to sit here and make excuses, and I'm up because I have to be somewhere this morning.

Have a good day, everyone.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

blondie454u replied to tnmist's response:
Sorry that you felt down. I hope your feeling better. When I usually get down I talk to my hubby about it. He seems to lift me back up. Other times I usually go outside and at least sit out there and get some sunshine. There those very rare times I'll stay in the bed until I feel like getting up, just because I can. I have such a busy schedule I don't have time to feel anything. I just have to keep doing things that need to be done.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

kalimiller responded:
This just hits the nail on the head for me. I have been taking medication for depression for several years now and when I ocassionally forget to take my meds, I hit those do-nothing and feel-sorry-for-myself moods. It is a goal of mine to get off of my medication. I'm working on it slowly. And just when I think that I'm doing better, I backtrack like 7 miles. It's a process and I guess the purpose of my post is to let you know that you are not alone and to hang in there! Everyone has slips - you just gotta get right back up as soon as you can.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

j9celeste responded:
Misty,

Living in northern Minnesota, we have six months with very little sunshine. Because of this, my therapist suggested a light therapy lamp. It has full spectrum light bulbs and really helps. I bought a portable one, about the size of my laptop but thinner. I am able to move around with it so I sit with it every morning with my coffee, while I'm eating breakfast, and while I check my e-mails. It makes a HUGE difference.

Celeste
The most exciting,challenging

rohvannyn replied to j9celeste's response:
For those lacking the funds for a light therapy lamp, you can also get normal full spectrum bulbs... any amount of extra light can help. Trust me, I used to live in the Pacific NorthWet.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, I am new at this. Just looking for a little support, I am 33 and a mother of three. I have a wonderful husband, He supports my every attempt a...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.