Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need to vent...
rachael2011 posted:
Its 6:30A here and my food choices this weekend so far are on my mind-- mostly a very large plate of pasta on Friday night (even though it was what the house was having, I could've gotten myself something else or gave myself a smaller portion) and a large burger on Saturday night complete w onion petals and coleslaw. The restaurant the house went to had lighter choices available. Before bed the same night I had cottage cheese w apple butter but then I was upset about the burger so I had about 6 slices of American cheese. Earlier in the day, I had not deprived myself...cereal, milk and banana for breakfast and soup/ turkey sandwich for lunch both in reasonable portions. On Friday afternoon, I picked up a back of Easter candy, had a couple pieces while driving but then stopped at a store that had a trash can outside and threw the rest of the bag away.
Maybe I am just not ready to take this road? How much bigger do I have to get and how much more time do I have to waste feeling crummy?
As I write this, I realize that planning ahead may help a lot here. Even to the point of having a back up plan like I don't want to binge or eat just bc I am lonely or upset but if I am going to I will have carrots and hummus or whatever.
On the plus side, I have been drinking more water...lol Oh well. New Day today! Have a good one and thanks for listening. Rachael.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

abnersmom responded:
Rachael, The most important lesson to learn is that we all slip, but the key is to get right back on your journey. There is not one of us on this board, no matter how long we've been at this, that doesn't have a slip from time to time. The difference is that we have finally learned that it doesn't mean that we can throw up our hands and say, I just can't do this. It's just part of this journey and every day is a new day and a new start.

Good job giving yourself credit for the water. Every positive change will make a huge difference. And yes, planning is essential, especially for eating out. I try to look the menus up online and make the best choice before I get to the restaurant.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

totallywiggedout responded:
Debbie's right Rachael.
There is no better day than TODAY to start doing better. (even if it seems like all of your tomorrows will be "the today" ) It's a learning process.
You are already proving that you ARE ready, just by trying.
Don't give up.
When your inner child starts throwing a temper tantrum, screaming "I CAN'T DO THIS!" realize that she really means "WON'T" . Put her in the corner and find your WILL POWER.
Planning ahead is a major part of doing better. True enough.
Many on this board take one of their weekend days and "cook ahead" for the week so they have healthier choices that are RIGHT THERE when they need them. Sometimes narrowing your options helps stop those spur of the moment meal pitfalls.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy responded:
Hi Rachael
I had a few false starts before my journey jelled and I have occasional slips too even today after nearly a decade maintaining..
I did figure out what it was that made it so hard I was not willing to give up ice cream that was my sticking point that derailed all my attempts. So what I did was make a plan for the Ice Cream
I made a deal with myself to stay on healthy portion controlled plan for 1 month then and only then I could go out to and ice cream shoppe and have a scoop . this worked for me like a carrot on a string in front of a donkey.. well I slipped a little that first month no ice cream but the following month I did great and had the treat ...I got to have the ice cream 6 times that first year maybe 5 times the second year not because of slips but because it was no longer controlling me this past summer 1 time ..I am still addicted to ice cream so I never have it in the house . as for pasta I used to eat large plates of it too and get seconds , Now I measure out 1 cup and serve it with a green vegie and a salad to balance it out ...
You can do this I am so proud of you for tossing out the candy that shows you really are ready to tackle this problem ..
I occasionally cook a hamburger at home that way I know what's in it.. like Barb and Debbie said look up the menu before you go out to eat and make a plan for it
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
RACHAEL,

I actually think you are READY to take this road.....to healthier living. That means being honest to ourselves about what we are eating. It was very painful for me to look at what I was eating AFTER dinner. When I started to get control, I had many, many slips and still do. The IMPORTANT thing is not beat yourself up and start over with each snack or meal.

Also, keep venting. We do not judge because we all have issues and share this struggle to continue our healthy journeys.

Remember: Progress not perfection. No one is perfect and a slip is not a failure.

BTW, good for you on the water increase, that took me awhile to do.

Barb

P.S. I did not learn to replace my bad habits with healthier ones overnight. This like learning to read and that didn't happen overnight.

P.S.S. Planning is key. Buy plastic containers (at dollar store) and put veggies and fruit in them. Air-popped popcorn to fill your tummy (I make ahead and store in gallon baggies); I eat 5 cups of this and a string cheese and a 22 oz. Crystal Ligh (I mix).

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so your off to a great start!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rachael2011 responded:
Thanks for all the encouragement! The "funk" is over for the time being and am feeling much more positive about this. Am feeling pretty good about the choices I made Sunday for the most part (with the exception that I really can't keep cheese in the house!) and so far today. I rode the exercise bike for 20 min and started to actually sweat! It's odd that I like that feeling bc it means I am actually doing something... to me anyway.

totallywiggedout replied to rachael2011's response:
Rachael, you ARE doing something. Something LIFE CHANGING and LIFE AFFIRMING. You are taking the first steps on your journey, girl! Yay for you!
This being able to bike long enough to notice you are beginning to sweat... it's a good feeling isn't it? Not only good but a real RUSH... That's the POWER of YOU , BABY!
You are under construction and will emerge a healthier stronger, thinner person, for your efforts.
huggs
kim

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

rohvannyn responded:
Great work, recognizing you need a change, and starting to give yourself credit for positive things you already have done. A practice that has helped me in the past is focusing on what I am getting not what I am having to give up. It's almost like emotional currency. I give up that Easter candy, but I GAIN less pain in my teeth, for example. Or like this: Not just losing weight (though that still happens, for certain) but GAINING health. Feeling better, looking better, and celebrating all those Non Scale Victories along with the decreasing pounds and inches. Instead of the white potatoes with extra toppings, I think about all the tasty nutrient rich fruits and vegetables and nuts I can afford because I don't buy the junk.

It helps me stay motivated. Haven't seen you around much, so welcome!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

abnersmom replied to rachael2011's response:
Hi Rachael, I saw this on Spark People and thought I'd share because it feels somehow appropriate here. " The journey is where the lessons are, achieving the goals are the cherry on top of my sundae." I'm beginning to believe the changes I've made in my life over the past couple of years apart from the eating, are more important than the weight loss.

Whoa! I don't know how I changed the font. Shoot, and just when I was being prophetic!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

rachael2011 replied to jean4u's response:
"start over with each snack or meal"--Just wanted to let you know I have been using that little phrase over the past couple of days. Like, I screwed up and ate something I shouldn't have, but that's over and during my next meal I am going to have (fill in the blank w something really good for me!)

rachael2011 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, Am glad I am not the only one who likes the feeling of sweating. Thanks for being so encouraging. I came back to these posts and picked grapes last night instead of canned ravioli. I like that I can come back and be inspired when I need it.

Hope you don't mind but I am going to use your "under construction" as my signature, when I figure out how to do the signature!
Rachael

rachael2011 replied to abnersmom's response:
Yes, Debbie. Even though I am just restarting this new healthier life, I know what you mean about learning from our challenges and that being most important. I wasn't going to write this, bc that chapter of my life is over (thank God) but I had delusional disorder (being incredibly paranoid) for about 15 years. I was raising my kids at the time as a single parent but had a WONDERFUL support system with my folks, my job, my docs and even medication. It all helped me manage to live pretty well under the circumstances. I hope my boys weren't too affected by it all but I think they are OK (time will tell on that one I guess) in college and college bound, with good heads on their shoulders.

What I am trying to say is that I learned so much over the years about myself, the generosity of others as well as how to handle the negatives we all get handed. I know I can apply it to this new chapter in my life. So maybe the ultimate weight loss isn't as important as what I will learn from it like you said.

Sorry for being redundant! lol Rachael

kalimiller replied to rachael2011's response:
I like the feeling of sweating - it's the feeling that you are doing something good for your body. I think my favorite feeling is that after workout ache that you get the next day. It makes me feel so accomplished!
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

totallywiggedout replied to rachael2011's response:
LOL , feel free to use anything you wish.... what's mine is yours, because I prolly stole it from somewhere else too but can't remember.... getting older has its advantages ,
huggs
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been off and on the band wagon for several years. This year I turned 30 and instead of living it up I've been dealing with health issues. I...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.