Skip to content
Feeling Discouraged
wingsgal68 posted:
Hello am a 45 year old woman I am 5'8 and currently weigh 300 pounds am a Large framed woman as well so I can carry alot of weight well but certainly not ths much. I have never been an overweight woman up untl a few years ago , i do try and watch what I eat and also exercse when I can I work in an office have a desk job which is not helpng either as far as the exercise aspect of it goes Does anyone have any helpful tips or hints to get me started or what has worked for you???

jean4u responded:
Small changes do add up. Smart for you to know that extra weight is bad for your heart and joints.

Cut back on sugar and other white carbs. Maybe walk 15 mins. at lunch or breaks.

Cutting back on white carbs helped me, it was tough, but doable. I added 15 min. of walking a day.

Progress not perfection!

Barb

jis4judy responded:
Welcome aboard wingsgal
You say you need help with exercise well the truth is if you eat healthy you can remove weight without it But your body will be healthier with some movement . can you take a walk after work ? or maybe even at lunch time
I like to take a walk in the morning but if you are a working girl you may have to make other arrangements like evening exercise..
Yoga is a great exercise and has a calming effect as well
Now I know watching what we eat isn't the same as planning every meal and snack that could be required as well .
at 45 you maybe also approaching menopause and that in itself slows down your metabolism things you did earlier in life to remove weight no longer works
on the sides of this group there is listings for resources you can find a lot of info on exercise options there
Keep posting we love newbies
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard! I walk/run on my breaks at work. I also go to the gym on my lunch. I used to go to the park and run on my lunch break before I got the gym membership. My work offers a major discount if I go to the gym so now I do that. Also you could get up before work and walk. I used to have to work at 6:00am and I would get up at 4:30am to walk. I am sure you can find some time during the day to do something even if it's in 10 minute segments.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi wings, welcome!
Amber and Judy are right. Walking is probably the best way to go. If you have enough time in the am. Walk. If not, park as far away from your office as you possibly can and get your exercise to and from the job. Take the stairs if you have an upper floor job.
One of our members had really great results with the Couch to 5K exercise. If you google it, you'll be able to see what that's all about. She even got so good at it and lost so much weight with it, she inspired her ENTIRE church group to join her on a 5k race. How's THAT for inspirational?
If you need something easier, Once you sign into this community, clik the "resources" at the left of page. You will find some free online exercise vids to do. The one I'd really like you to try is the 12 min Seated Core one. That is totally done while sitting and burns about 96 calories in that 12 min.
Obviously "watching what you eat" only goes so far when it comes to trying to lose weight. You also need to watch what FOODS you eat.
Reduce sodium to the bare minimum
Drink LOTS of water...shooting for around 1/2 gal a day
Reduce or STOP drinking soda pop
Try to fix your meals and snacks from scratch using raw and or fresh meats , fruits and veggies
If you aren't already doing it, eat low fat/skim or fat free dairy products
Eat your eggs. They are high in protein and protein breaks down slowly to keep your body fuller longer and to keep your blood glucose level longer throughout the day.
Logging food and exercise DOES help. Start a food and fitness planner either here or on Fitday.com
Blog to vent, celebrate, get support and to lend your support and ideas to others here.
HAVE FUN with your journey. Start slowly. Don't take on too many changes at a time and DON'T GIVE UP.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Dktrzee replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I'm new, too. I'm trying to lose weight for a total knee replacement. I saw a doctor who treated me very rudely because of my weight and would not even talk to me about surgery. I can't walk for exercise because of the knee, and I don't have access to a pool. I need other options. I'm very motivated to lose weight, but I don't know what to do about the exercise piece. Help!

Annie SW 351 CW 293 GW 220

jis4judy replied to Dktrzee's response:
Hi Annie
welcome aboard getting the food and portions is the most important step in removing weight.. In the helpful resources on the right of this message board you will find seated exercise routines that may work for you
It is very frustrating to be overweight been there done that
and I am sure the doc may have been frustrated too because to help you with your knees you have to remove some weight first and the only one that can do that is you.

I have had doctors tell me I would breath better if I removed weight I had asthma but after a while on my healthy journey my asthma no longer needs treatment who knows when you remove the excess weight maybe your knees will get healthy too ...
Keep posting and share your journey with us we can celebrate your successes and it is sometimes helpful to share your struggles we are all fighting this war on fat here
so join in and get this journey started
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to Dktrzee's response:
Hi Annie, so glad you joined our community! Welcome!
Honeybunch, I sympathicize about the knees. Know just where you're coming from.
Tell me a bit about how you get around, ok? You say "can't walk" I need to know if you walk at all or if you use a mobility chair, also if you stand and if you do, for how long at a time....
You have already lost almost 60 lbs though. Congrats on that, you are doing something right here then, lol.
Have you tried eliptical machines or stationery bikes(recumbant is best btw for bad knees and hips because of the angle and wider seats)
Personally, I like my Wii . I play the Wii fitness sports and can work up a pretty decent sweat.
If you don't have one or can't get one, Tai Chi and the 12 min seated CORE exercises, and that greatly amusing seated Zumba vid on our resources link are all really nice, low to NO impact free exercise videos.
If you have any spare money at all, I really also love to suggest those exercise bands. They come in a box of several different lengths, all with handles. Get em at Walmart, Kmart or any sporting goods store. They come with a booklet on how to do exercises with them and they provide fairly easy resistance exercise.
Remember, ANY movement will burn calories and is considered exercise. It doesn't have to be aerobics, running, or weightlifting in a gym. You can swing on a swingset for an hour and burn 100 calories, lol.
Good exercises to help strengthen your leg muscles before surgery and after can be done by taking one of those soft toddler playground kickballs, yes those ones for about 2 bucks, and while sitting slightly forward in a kitchen chair, grip the ball between your knees for a slow count of 10. Relax, and grip again. 10 sets of 10 seconds.
Then in same chair, take the ball between your ankles. Grip it and lift your legs out straight, hold for count of 5 then return feet to floor. DON'T let go of the ball, Just lift again, and again.
10 lifts of 5 seconds.
Alot of people have problems recovering from surgeries because due to pain they have allowed their supporting muscles and tendons to become weak and lax. You absolutely want to be in the best possible shape so that you heal faster and can walk better post op.
So try some of these exercises , maybe a couple of times a day and I'll bet you'll start being able to walk better.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Wingsgal and Annie! Sorry I missed this post earlier in the week. For me, getting the food under control was the most important thing at first. I used fitday.com to track everything I consumed and it was eye-opening! I don't log as much now, but if I start gaining I go right back to that log to keep myself honest! Exercise was the hardest part of the journey for me so I was really hit or miss with it for a long time. Since I had the food under control though, I still lost weight. You have to do it your way and tweak along the way. Figure out what works best for you from other peoples' successes and go for it! You can do it!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

blondie454u replied to Dktrzee's response:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

All my life I have been considered bigger than everyone else. I used to blame it on my asthma and allergies. I decided to put a stop to it. I am t...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.