Skip to content
Time to try pedaling
mog1026 posted:
I've been eating well and watching my portions carefully. But so far I've been limited to chair cardio because of knee pain. Well I bit the bullet this weekend and ordered a recumbent exercise bike from Amazon to see if I can burn some calories and get those knees working again. Has anyone had success with one of these? And have your knees liked the experience? I'm really hoping it will make a difference!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 217.5 GW 165
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jean4u responded:
I use a Pedlar when I watch TV and can use it as a "crank" for my arms and shoulders. I have a stationary bike and use that, also. I use my elliptical, too.

I have bad knees and must say since I have consistently used some form of "peddle" exercise the pain is much less. I think because it helps to build the muscle and ligament strength around the knees.

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb I think I will look around for a peddler
that might give me some exercise while watching TV
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rachael2011 responded:
Hi Kathy. I really liked the exercise bike I used in the past. The knee pain lessened greatly and I felt less awkward moving after I used it for a while. My doc advised me that either swimming or the bike would be good. I like the upright bikes bc I "jiggle" less on them than the recumbent, but have used the recumbent and knees feel about the same as the upright ones. Recumbents are also a lot easier to get on and off!

j9celeste replied to rachael2011's response:
Hi Rachael -

I used a recumbent elliptical bike during my physical training after my car accident. It was the most wonderful piece of exercise equipment I have ever used! No knee pain, no back pain...nothing! I have been looking on e-bay and Craigslist for the past year for a used one, but to no avail. Let us know how it's going!

Celeste
The most exciting,challenging

kalimiller responded:
I have a recumbant bike that I use at my home. I don't have knee problems (knock on wood) but I find it nicer to sit on and better for my back. I also enjoy it so that I can read or watch tv while I am doing it.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

totallywiggedout responded:
Kathy, with my knee and hip problems, the ONLY bike I can ride is recumbant. I LOVE them. For some reason, maybe because of the horizontal angle, there seems to be less gravitational "heavyness" when you pedal with these. Once you get it, you'll see what I mean. But I do caution. make sure you set it at the lightest tension possible for the first week or two, then go by increments that don't stress your knees.
The best way is to get stronger with light tension, then adding more TIME on the bike. THEN going for a bit more tension... again adding time as you go and so on.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks Kim and everyone else for the advice and encouragement. It is so appreciated. I wish it was here already so I could get going! Of course it remains to be seen how long it will take us (which probably means my DH!) to put it together. I hope it's easier than a gas grill! I got up this morning to another 1.5 Lb weight drop and I am so encouraged that this time I can finally make it happen and return to a healthy weight like so many of you regulars have accomplished already. To have this dream come true would, no will, be the answer to a prayer.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.6 GW 165

totallywiggedout replied to mog1026's response:
Hi Kathy, any bike yet?
It'll probably be about the same as putting together the grill. Lots of little parts if I remember correctly and the pedals are the biggest nightmare part... lol.... It'll take both of you though because at some point it's easier to work with it upright and someone has to hold it there.
Congrats on the further weight loss. Even without the bike you seem to be getting a handle on it this time
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Oh Kim I'm still waiting....they said sometime between the 21st and 25th so any day now. I pity the ups guy who has to carry that to the door! I'm so psyched to get the weight off that I'm eager to post even a .2 lb weight loss like I did today. I'm seeing the knee orthopedist today and I don't want to feel ashamed of myself. Anything to keep my motivation going. I'm playing around with my calories like a science experiment. It's a strange feeling to actually be in control of what I'm eating rather than just satisfying my impulses. I sure do like it. I feel different this time from my previous attempts and I pray It will stick.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.4 GW 165

You missed it Kathy. Over Christmas I was posting that I had ordered 5 Beanbag chairs (2 were video lounger beanbags and 3 reg round ones) lol, THOSE boxes were light but HUGE. They ended up coming in 3 seperate shipments and every time I got another, I stacked it on top of the others. By the last box, my stack went floor to 1 in under the ceiling! Same UPS guy had to deliver all of em, so I gave him a Christmas tip and a 1/2 pint of schnapps, lol
huggs
k

abnersmom replied to mog1026's response:
Hi Kathy, Let us know how your doctor's appt. goes. I'm still tweaking my cals. 2 years later! It is like a science experiment!

I read a blog the other day where the blogger said that he went from a food addiction to a diet and exercise addiction. Could be true, but at least it's a healthier addiction if not taken to the extreme!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

Okay! The bike came today as promised by amazon! It's finally put together by my DH (although I haven't the heart to tell him yet that the seat is too wobbly)! It's taken three hours and he's had it for the nite. It's not adjusted yet but I have to say I'm a little freaked at how low the seat is. I mean I have KNEE pain! Getting up from there may be a challenge. I'll just have to make it work. Maybe put a chair next to the bike to lean on when I rise. I am so glad tho that there's a way to get some cardio into my day without walking. You know I have to give my husband props for the way he's been supporting me this time. He's never hassled me about my weight but I think I see now that I've been scaring him to death. Something to consider. You can't lose weight for someone else but the weight you choose to be can have quite an effect on the people who love you.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.2 GW 165

mog1026 replied to abnersmom's response:
Oh Debbie I'll take that addiction any day! Bring it on. I just. wrote about my MD appt somewhere else here. I haven't quite got the hang of where posts end up yet. I'm glad your appt ended with a good blood work report. With your weight and exercise regime how can it not get better and better!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.2 GW 165

Kathy, YAY your bike!!!
As I was reading about your worry about getting up, I was thinking a chair too. Then another idea came to me. You could get one of those bathtub bars and install it vertically on the wall next to your bike.
If you have the bottom curve of it where you could just grab it and brace yourself right from the seat of the bike , then use it to climb "higher" up as you need it for support, it may work better for you.
I love those bars, They are so sturdy I even have one on the outside of my door frame because sometimes I feel that the step railings aren't strong enough if I really try to fall.
And , you are probably right. Your insight into how you think your husband is worrying about your weight.... it's probably spot on.
As for that seat.... grab a wrench or socket set and git er done girl!! Tightening a seat is EASY!! lol

huggs
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi Folks: This is a first.....not the diet process, but being online seeking support in my weight loss endeavours. I will be 60 in September. I want t...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.