Skip to content
A "duh" moment (depression and weight loss)
rohvannyn posted:
< ramble >

For a while I was doing pretty well there, then winter hit and so did the tater based dishes and the richer foods. I did fairly well considering but still gained some. Then I had problems with despair and depression due to a number of factors. One thing I've noticed is now that I'm feeling better, I'm inclined to eat better. I'm not craving the starches as badly and I'm back to craving fruit and vegetables (eaten very cautiously at the moment) a little more than I crave junk.

I can tell you, and most of you know, it's hard to move a lot when you are depressed. It's hard enough just to do the stuff you are supposed to. Sure, making yourself move would help you feel better, but how to summon the will to do that? Luckily I've found some hope. My depression is mostly situational, and for a time I didn't feel like I had any way out of this life I currently live. I couldn't see any way out from under the same job, the same small apartment, the same aging car, the same arguments, and no hope for any positive change in the stagnant economy.

Then the universe hit me over the head with the Clue Bat. Art. It's only what I've been doing for more than thirty years, ever since I was a little kid. I haven't always been good at it but it's been a constant in my life. Trials and troubles in the past several years have been leading me away from my art (painting and drawing, mostly, but some sculpture) and when I have done art, I haven't been pushing the envelope. But it's what I DO. It's what I'm good at. It's what I AM, in a certain way.

I finally feel healed enough emotionally to be able to not only do art again, but improve on it, work on it, try things I haven't tried, get outside the safe zone. I have a partner who is supportive, time to do it in, a job to support me and space do it in. I don't have much money for materials but I'm good at doing art on the cheap! Running around looking at galleries, art stores, etc, is giving my spouse much needed exercise. And it's making feel better so I have more desire to move around and reach out to others and eat better.

Getting back to art, deciding to actually start improving like I've been promising myself for yours I'd do, is like switching on a light switch. Suddenly, I fit in the world. I have a place. I'm not rootless. I suddenly feel like I matter. Even if my art isn't the best, it's sure not the worst either. My goal is to eventually make a little incidental income from it and get better known. This, I think, will help me see why it's imortant to work harder on my journey toward physical health.

< /ramble >
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout responded:
Roh, can you believe I was actually just thinking about you this morning? I was wondering exactly how you had been doing because you hadn't been posting as much as you usually do.
I'm glad that you have found a path back to what makes your soul happy. I know that you probably feel like a newborn again at it. But when you are ready to start branching out with your art and making some income with it, this site, if you already don't know about it, is a very good place to start. It seems to be THE place for creative people's items.

http://www.etsy.com/

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy responded:
That's wonderful Roh you found the thing inside you that needed expression , I love to dabble in artsy things myself
and I do get relaxation and a sense of I am doing something for me ...It is Eastertime and that reminds me of My artistic expressions that made me money I used to create Easter eggs from sugar and egg whites and decorate them with scenes inside ..That made me money a local candy store bought everything I made,,,and I loved every second I spent on it ...My eyes are old now so fine delicate work like that would be tough ...
I did also make Money doing Photo fix ups on my PC
So there are many ways to use your artistic skills...

Good luck with your art also just doodling with a pencil and paper used to relax me
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
So glad you have found your "happy" again Roh! Sometimes we really have to search for it again, don't we? Share with us some of the projects you've done. would love to see pics. I so admire artistic people.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

rachael2011 responded:
Roh- I am so excited for you! One can feel your passion just by reading what you write about it. Do post pictures of your work or a link where we can see them. I don't have an artistic bone in my body (other than the occasional poem), but really appreciate other peoples work. I love the different museums, etc. Again, am so excited for ya!

blondie454u responded:
Glad you found your inner peace! I am so happy for you. Also glad to see you posting.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rohvannyn replied to blondie454u's response:
Thanks everyone!

Kim, you are right, I have heard of Etsy, but I am keeping it in mind for the future.

Judy, those eggs always amazed me when people did them. The little scenese would be fascinating. Where they the kind with peepholes?

When I have things scanned in with my digital camera, I put them up on Deviantart. So I'll post that link, and maybe put a link in my profile too. I only have one recent drawing up right now, but you can find me by going up to deviantart.com and searching for "Rohvannyn."
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh here is a photo of 2 of my eggs the stand up one has a bunny sniffing a flower
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Those eggs are fabulous Judy!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.6 GW 165

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, those are gorgeous! What intricate work! I am totally impressed.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie when I was working on those eggs my son said to me Mom I love the look on your face when you do those eggs . it must have shown on the outside how I loved doing those eggs on the inside

jean4u responded:
ROH, I think you "hit" on something alot of us can relate to....the need for inner expresion/creativity. This is the stuff that "feeds" our souls. We "starve", just like not eating the right foods if we don't allow ourselves to enjoy and enhance our creative spirits.

How we do this can take many forms and mediums. Good luck in your endeavors to do this.

Barb

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, sooo pretty, love the detail, too.

Barb

P.S. Thanks for getting us in the Easter spirit!

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb I got some bad news about the furnace yesterday
It appears that a large repair will be needed. so I am considering having a new furnace installed instead because once the repairs start they never end .. and the upside of a new system is lower energy costs, and I should be able to be less stressed worrying about the darn thing.
I really loved making those eggs it was a really happy time
in my life...
and it is Easter time

tnmist replied to jis4judy's response:
Sorry to hear about the furnace! FYI - some power companies offer rebates or a percentage off bill for new things like that because you are making your home more energy efficient.Just a thought.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a newlywed (married June 2010) and my husband and I are looking to lead a healthier lifestyle. I am currently about 280 pounds, and would like to...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.