Skip to content
Scale died
tristaj90 posted:
Today I went to weigh myself and it gave me a weight of 138.8 which I'm happy about because yesterday I was 141.6. But I went to step back on it and it didn't come on. I changed the battery and that didn't help. Then I noticed that one of the pegs that registers the weight was broken. My son loves climbing on the scale so I'm figuring that it slammed back on my hardwood floor one too many times. This scale has been with me since I started my journey and now I"m afraid that if I get a new scale it will not weigh me the same. If I get the same exact branded scale will it be the same? I'm not sure.

On the plus side I"m adopting a kitten today at the pet shelter. I am super excited to have a pet because I've never had one before!
~SW 234 CW 137.2 Goal 134~
Nothing worth having was ever achieved without effort.-Theodore Roosevelt

rachael2011 responded:
Awww..you are going to enjoy having a pet. I have never had a kitten (was a dog person when I got together w my bf) but my bf has 2 cats and they are hilarious. I love them and together w my dog, we have a comic team nightly.
As for the scale, I have never had any consistency with scales (but then I am really heavy). You are doing so well and so close to your goal.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- Unsure

totallywiggedout responded:
Trista, sometimes I WISH my scale would die.... but then, I'm not about to voluntarily put it out of my misery, lol
Grats on the loss, you know you don't really need to weigh twice in one morning , right??? LOL
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u responded:
Trista, I had/still have a scale that gives me a 4 lb. variance, if I get on and off and move it, even on a tile floor. I record my weight daily. So I did not want to "cheat" and take the lowest weight.......but felt bummed to have to take the higher weigh in.

I ended up getting a Weight Watcher's scale. The thing didn't work, checked the battery, changed the battery. Took that back and got another Weight Watcher's scale that is consistent.

We really don't need the scale playing "mind games". LOL

I really like a digital scale that shows even .1 loss!

I think it is possible to go down 3 lbs. in one day, so I would take the 138.8 and get a new scale ASAP.

Barb

P.S. How you doing in reaching "your goal" of 100 down? BTW, your post did inspire me to get more serious about staying in my acceptable range. It is sooo easy to get lazy, slips string together, eat bigger portions, skip exercise when in maintenance and low AND behold the next thing we notice is the numbers get bigger and bigger on the scale. I put my ole "Rocky" gloves on and got to work and got back in my maintenance range.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Trista when I started I used an old scale that was probably wrong but it still showed progress when I bought a new scale I was weighing in 10 whole pounds heavier on my new digital scale so don;t be shocked if there is a difference. also I remember when I bought the old scale It was in a store a long time ago that had the scales out and I weighed myself on them all and chose the one that weighed me less so It is no wonder that it was off by 10 pounds I had to change all my numbers starting as well as current...lol
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Trista! Wow I didn't know it was possible to lose that much in one year outside some program like The Biggest Loser. You should be so proud of yourself. What a life change in a year....is it hard to wrap your head around the new and improved you? You've done what 99.99999999999% of dieters can't accomplish. That's a lotta self discipline and commitment. Now about that new scale.... On one of my previous attempts to lose the weight I was very successful and so proud of my new number when the scale broke. My husband brought home a new one and when I got on I was 10 lbs heavier. Aaaaargh! For some reason that I don't understand I let that number get to me and I lost my healthy living mojo. It just did a number on my head. What a fool I was because I could have been on this road years earlier. If your new scale gives you a hard time pay it no mind. It's just a number and you've done the work already. Just use it to see if you are up or down and when you really need a "true" weight get it at the doctor's office.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.6 GW 165

jean4u replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy, I agree Trista has done a fabulous job! Welcome back to your journey. Nice job on over 10 down!

We can't let those #'s get us down, but they do sometimes. Look to the NSV's when that happens. Looser pants, being able to walk longer, just the payoffs of living a healthier lifestyle. That is the key to get rid of and staying on our journeys.

Barb

mog1026 replied to jean4u's response:
Can I ask, what's an NSV?

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
Non Scale Victory
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Oh, nice. I will try to think of those when I eat less but the scale doesn't move, like today!

blondie454u responded:
We adopted a kitten not long ago from a shelter. She is a family member now. You will enjoy the pet!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

abnersmom responded:
Hi Trista, I don't think any scale weighs exactly the same as another. LOL! Look on the bright side, maybe the new scale will be even lower!!! Congrats on the loss and the kitten.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jean4u replied to mog1026's response:
NSV is when we have a "victory" that is not a weightloss, but still an accomplishment in our healthy journey. For example, eating at a restaurant, looser pants, drinking all 64 oz. of hydration, ect. N=non, S=scale, V=victory.

These keep us going when our hard work doesn't show up on the scale.

Especially important when we first start and may actually go up on the scale, or when in a plateau.

Glad you asked, Kathy, NSV's have gotten me thrugh some tough scale times.

Barb

jean4u replied to jean4u's response:
Kathy, I meant to add to eating at a restaurant and making healthier choices. For me not eating 2-3 bread baskets was a total NSV. I'm sure you will come up with your own NSV's as time and your journey continue.

Barb

tristaj90 responded:
Just wanted to update everyone. Kitty is all settled in and we're still getting used to eachother. It's no different from when our son was born and we had to learn about his personality and find out what works for us. So far so good though!
Also I bought the same brand scale and weighed myself on Wednesday morning (which would have been my 1 year anniversary from when I started my journey) and weighed 138.2. So it is very similar to my old scale seeing as how I was 138.8 on Tuesday. So at least that's all good! I was nervous about it:)
So for a year on my journey I have officially lost and kept off 96 pounds. I am looking at getting to my 100 pound loss (but if it doesn't happen soon I'm hoping to have it happen by my 23rd birthday on April 26th). Maybe I'll do even better and lose more than I hope. I am hoping to maybe get to 130 but if I can't I won't fret. I am happy where I am and confident I can maintain here! I know I'm not ever going to be that small because I have a medium-large frame anyway.
Hope all of you are taking care of yourselves and keeping on your goals! I keep telling myself that I need to get back on track with my eating because I used to be around 1100-1300 calories a day, now I can barely stand to eat less than 1300.. so I'm more on 1300-1500 a day.
~SW 234 CW 137.2 Goal 134~
Nothing worth having was ever achieved without effort.-Theodore Roosevelt

Spotlight: Member Stories

Lap Band Surgery -to do or not? Hi,42years old,124kg,married,2 children & 2 dogs. 4months ago after being in allot of pain in my knees,joi...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.