Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I fell down and went BOOM
totallywiggedout posted:
I've gained 4 lbs and I really don't know when I'm going to be able to work on really getting them off. I can barely walk I'm so stiff and bruised up, lol
Michael, my bf, had to go to Vicksburg, MS for a three day work trip, Tues thru Thurs night. Wednesday was his birthday so I drove over to have lunch with him, then explore the city a bit while he did his pm work , then we went out to eat that night. I spent the night, then drove home Thurs early am.
This is what happened.... After lunch, I went down into the historic drive area of historic homes. I love looking at architectural design, filigrees, dental mouldings, old beautifully bricked chimney designs, etc.
I was walking up that first block, looking UP at the roofline of this particularly beautiful victorian and tripped on a HUGELY heaved lip of sidewalk.... I've never been the athletic type that can just loosen up , tuck and roll when falling and I fell HARD. Tried to catch myself on my hands, was going too fast and hard to catch the full brunt of the fall and my elbows buckled and I went onto all 4s. Skinned and badly bruised both elbows, knees and hands. I'm think I'm lucky that I didn't fall all the way to my face because my forehead or chin would've been the next point of contact, lol
But , of course, with the adrenaline from the fall and the TOTAL embarrassment of falling in public(though I don't think anyone saw me, these houses were huge and I never saw a single soul outside)....anyway, I got my feet back under me , rocked up and stood pretty fast, lol. Surprising, really , since I usually have to have a chair to help get off the floor, lol
Can you believe I continued to walk and sightsee? I was really walking pretty well, too, all things considered.... walked about 14 blocks, some uphill, looking at houses... then I went on to check out the Old Courthouse Museum, which had a flight of stairs that looked almost straight up that I took with no problems... BUT
I've been paying for it all ever since.
My body felt like I had full blown whiplash by Wed evening and Thursday I was walking like I was made of glass in a room full of sledgehammers.
Today, It's more akin to that ache you feel when you've been in a pretty bad car accident. lol
Ah well. It's nasty cold and rainy today, so I guess I'm not missing much if I skip walking today too. Doubt that I could get very far without crying anyhow, lol
hope all of you are doing well though
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy responded:
Oh Kim I hate that when we fall like that I had a fall similar to yours although I caught myself and fell on my hands and bruised my knee and both palms were bruised it was later when my shoulders hurt but it took a few days to feel better
I think maybe if you have a fall next time do yourself a favor and go somewhere to rest .. Gee Kim
just use this time to get really good nutrition in you it can help with the healing process. I hope you feel less pain with each day that passes...
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Oh Kim, sorry about your fall. I did that walking on the sidewalk on the busy road that I walk sometimes when I can't get to the Greenway. Unlike you, there were 4 lanes of traffic who got to witness my gracefulness!

Hope you feel better soon. Take care of you.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

rachael2011 responded:
Oh Kim. Take it easy this weekend and, like Judy said, let your good nutrition help with the healing. Will pray that you can resume your walking with out pain soon.

14 blocks with hills, etc. is great. I bet the time went by quickly bc you were enjoying the new sites. Look forward to another mini-vacation when you are feeling better.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 319 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- Unsure

jean4u responded:
Kim, SHUT THE FRONTDOOR.....you trying to kill yourself?????

Seriously, maybe you need to get x-rays.

I have tripped on curbs, too. I actually had a major trip-age experience when I was going for my divorce. Oh great now my soon to be ex is going to see me physically damaged.....nothing better than that!

But seriously take care and let us know how you mend.

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks for your care guys... jeez lol. It was just so stupid and clutzy.
Debbie, if I fell in front of all that traffic, I don't think I'd try to get back up. I'd be so embarrassed, I'd try to dig a hole big enough to crawl into, lol
Vicksburg is a pretty city and has some very serious Civil War background so yes, I had a good time walking around and soaking up some history.
Then this am had a dr's appt to check on how my new meds r doing for me.. told him about my fall, and he rolled up his sleeves... HE fell this last weekend while carrying a basket of clothes upstairs! Thumped down 6 steps before he landed back on the floor, lol.
So here we are comparing owies.... eyeroll....
he checked my knees and my palm. He was more worried about my palm because it really is purple with bruising all the way up my wrist now... flexed my wrist, checked all the little bones with his fingers, lol I'm ok, HE's ok, we are all ok, lol
Good news is that my blood pressure is staying normal on it's own which is still my most major NSV from this journey.
huggs
gonna lie down for a bit and rest my weary bones
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
So so sorry to hear about your tumble Kim. Take care of yourself and don't try to do too much the next few days. What could be worse than hitting cement? Not much! The good news is here's evidence that you've got good strong bones! Enjoy your nap and let us know how you're doing.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.2 GW 165

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Glad you got checked out and OK. "Purple Palms",,,,hmmm sounds like one of Roh's art pieces.LOL That description made my palms sting.

That is too funny about your doc showing you his boo boo, did you tell him when he goes home to take an aspirin and lie down. Ha Ha!

Good for you on keeping the BP down.

Barb

jean4u replied to mog1026's response:
How you doing, Kathy? Hope OK.

Just keep plugging away, that's the way to go.

Barb

mog1026 replied to jean4u's response:
Got a little down after my visit to the orthopedist yesterday. He and I had both lost 20 lbs so we high fived but He said he didn't think I could ever walk pain-free even if I can get a ton of weight off. On the up side he said it could lessen it so there's that carrot again. I'm the bunny I guess. And besides, who says he couldn't be wrong? And no matter if I end up having knee replacements I'll still need to be a more normal weight, right? It's just hard to wait (groan!). Yesterday I got really hungry so I think I went too low on the calories. I had a hearty snack last nite and I was still down this morning so I can eat a little more. It's hard to find the magic calorie number. Well that's my whine for the day. Thanks for listening
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.2 GW 165

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
Hi Kathy
changing your life to healthy foods and removing weight can help your body heal it self .. Balanced nutrition works wonders . You don't have to believe the doctors they are often wrong, My brother was told by doctors that he had 6 months to live back in 1988 and he did pass away but not till 2006 that's a lot longer than 6 months so believe me when I say that the doctors are only making an educated guess when they predict something...Our bodies have great healing powers if given the right nutrition it can do wonderful things.
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

tnmist replied to jis4judy's response:
Hey, Kim, so sorry to hear about the fall. Hope you heal quickly. The sightseeing sounded very nice otherwise! I visited Savannah with a friend a year or so ago, and we were doing the same thing (sans a fall), looking at some great architecture, etc. We ate at this little hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant and asked a local waitress a good place to sightsee, and she gave us some good advice.

To Kathy: Judy is right! Super nutrition can do WONDERS. I have this book of stories about people who went to this place called Weimar (sp?) out in CA that specializes in getting people who are very ill from lifestyle type of diseases back on the right track, and, yes, some of it sounds a bit radical, but, boy, are those stories inspiring, and our bodies can heal amazingly with proper nutrition, exercise, etc. There is an acronym I've heard of called NEWSTART, which stands for Nutrition, Exercise, Water, Sunlight, Temperance, Air, Rest, and Trust (in Divine Power) that pretty much sums up the equation to success.

I also saw an excellent video last year called "Forks Over Knives," and the gist is that it is way less radical to get serious about eating healthy and having regular exercise than the radical operations that involve, for example, splitting your chest wall open and messing with your heart.

Thank you, Judy, for that encouragment because now that I have remembered that book, I want to go find it and re-read it to encourage myself (it's around here SOMEwhere, ha).

Hope my "addiction" to a healthier lifestyle kicks in soon for me.

-Misty
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

totallywiggedout replied to mog1026's response:
Thanks Kathy. Hey, this is a great pic of you. Very pretty.
huggs
k

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
ROH!!! need you to paint "purple Palms"... any way your "mind's eye" sees that, lol... Great name for a painting though Barb, really could be as palms of a hand or moonlight palms, lol seriously Roh needs to "do" this idea lol
huggs
k

totallywiggedout replied to tnmist's response:
Misty, I have yet to walk Savannah, but would love to do it. Anywhere that is rich in history is a great place to just get out and walk. I really am thinking that I should buy a decent metal detector since moving south, I've been thinking I'd love to find some minie balls or a canon ball or a civil war saber... something like that would just make my day, lol
huggs
k

I'm feeling better tonight ... will try walking tomorrow and see how it goes.. wish me luck

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story is no different then anyone else's. I am just ready to start living my life and feel like I have wasted too much time sitting on the side...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.