Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
holding myself accountable
rachael2011 posted:
I am just posting this bc well my inner child thought she was getting away with something last night and the night before. I work in a group home and the room that I sleep in had a bunch of snacks like cookies, chips, crackers, etc. Being a late night eater, this has been a problem in the past. Sat. night, I was munching on crackers (actually a sleeve of them) even while reading these posts; last night I was OK til I got up at 2AM and ate a 6 pack of Oreo's. Funny thing was I thought they were the regular ones and when I got up the packaging was the golden ones. That is mindless eating my friends, sitting there in the dark at 2 AM noshing.
Ugh. Maybe knowing when my senses come back I will be posting this will help.
Note- If anyone from work reads this, the snacks are AL:WAYS replaced (in shame) by me the next morning when we shop.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 319 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- Unsure
FirstPrevious12NextLast

abnersmom responded:
Gosh Rachael, it's got to be tough to be there at 2am with all those tempting snacks around. I think I would cave too. Can you take some healthy snacks to nosh on maybe? I know the "other" snacks will still call to you, but maybe that would help.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Rachael way back before I went on my journey to better heath I would have been right there with you noshing away But after being on plan so long the things you indulged in sound yucky to me ...all processed poison It might be easier to resist if you change the way you view that stuff , Like Debbie said bring some fruit or cut up raw vegies much healthier and
more filling too ... when you eat processed foods they make you more hungry that's why you ate a sleeve of cookies. those nasty foods designed to make you eat more . because the more you eat the bigger profits for that company ..
BTW are working the night shift? My hubby was a 11 to 7 worker and we had to make arrangements for his eating plan
it is best to eat healthy as much as you possibly can . I reread your post and you woke during the night to eat that surely is a bad habit ... maybe those snacks could be moved to another room to avoid the temptation.
does anyone in the group house really need that stuff maybe they could use some healthy snacks too .. here is hoping you find a better solution , just remember that slip is done start over again
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

j9Celeste responded:
Hello there Rachael!

I don't know how well this will be received, but I allow myself some chips, crackers...even chocolate! I have been a binge eater my entire life and have, like most of us, been "dieting" most of my life. I was always able to lose some of the weight fairly easily, but I could never keep it off. I found that, for me, if I give myself permission to eat foods that I used to tell myself were "off limits" makes the cravings much easier to handle. I just make sure that it fits into my day.

That's just me

Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous SW 286 CW 259 GW 165

jean4u responded:
Rachael, Having that food available is tough, but like the others said you got to come to terms with how you are going to deal with this temptation.

You put this in the category of "mindless" eating. Now to get a control on this, you got to change the category to "planned" snacking. This is part of the struggle. You got to come up with a plan. I go to events that have free pizza and would eat 4 pieces after dinner. NOW I know my struggle and PLAN to have a healthy filling snack BEFORE the event and do not have any of the "free" food because free food still has a mountain of calories and carbs.

Here's the advice: make the "mindless" eating a I know I will get bored and want to munch, so plan a healthy snack and/or drink. Remind yourself by doing self-talk of your short-term goal to get through the next hour without mindless eating, that will get you through your shift. Remind yourself of your long-term goal to add to your healthy lifestyle by eating WHEN you choose and not just because food is available.

BTW, mindless eating is different from a planned indulgence.

Don't beat yourself up over this, just learn from it and plan to do better.

Been there and still do it, but trying and doing better, especially with my DH's chips! I think it is normal to feel shame when we "sneak" eat. I feel that when I eat DH's chips and want to hide the empty bag.

Barb

rachael2011 replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy. I am off Monday thru Thursday, and mostly do OK. I slip a bit mostly w portion sizes but the quality is a lot better bc I know it makes me feel better. My work schedule is Friday in early afternoon straight through til Sunday at 10P. I sleep there. For the most part, our residents eat pretty healthy but everyone has a right to buy the snacks that they like. We keep them in the office (where there is a bed and I sleep) so we can keep an eye on nutrition and such.

I think I have been looking at the processed foods all wrong though (that was a really good point you made). I don't think of them as the addictive things that they are. I see extra calories and a lack of self discipline. Time to start viewing them like I used to view cigarettes just before I quit them, I guess.

BTW, loved your Costco story. It really made my day.

rachael2011 responded:
Thank you guys for all the input. Move on, yes. But with a plan. Next weekend, I will buy grapes on the way to work and freeze em when I get here. Then at bed time, take a baggie of them with me to bed. I don't want to get up in the middle of the night, but if I do, I have an option right there-- that even in my sleepy state I can't miss. Still, I want to make myself post if I go to the processed stuff.

totallywiggedout responded:
Rachael, I'm sitting her laughing my butt off about your thinking that golden oreos were the reg chocolate ones, but in the dark you wouldn't really know that.
It reminded me of a test that was done in a supermarket. People were blindfolded with masks that also covered their noses and told that they were going to be given 2 brands of Cherry jello and were asked which they preferred.
One was actually LIME jello but none of the test subjects detected the difference . They just picked the "cherry" jello they preferred.
Goes a long way in explaining just HOW MUCH what our brains perceive to be true establishes what we believe to be factual.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy replied to rachael2011's response:
yes I was and still am addicted to sweets

although I do a pretty good job not overindulging so far
today was celebrating my son in laws birthday so I had cake it was yummy as I remember but I must not let it take me off my journey Good thing was my daughter baked the cake and I didn't so it was really special...One planned indulgence and back on my journey right away .. I do believe those processed foods are addictive on purpose to sell more . and low fat stuff on the shelves are usually loaded with sugar and chemicals so they aren't good food either .. That was a funny story about Costco I go there every week and I still believe the guy was being nice heck they are paid to be nice....LOl

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Cake cake cake cake...my favorite food in the world. I dream about cake, all kinds of cake. I can forget about any food but cake. Other sweets can't hold a candle to cake. I love you cake. Just sayin'. Now that was good advice in this thread. I stopped smoking in 1973. It was really hard but now I hate cigarettes. I have to think of cake just like those nasty cigarettes that I don't want any more.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.2 GW 165

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
Oh Kathy congrats on stopping the smoking that's an awsome thing to get a hold of... Yes Cake is becoming one of my favorites these days . I used to be crazy for any sweet at all since I have been on plan almost 10 years I make planned indulgences, this time it was cake..
I did some crazy things during my journey like I baked probably the best pumpkin pie ever and that first thanksgiving after we each had a slice I tossed the rest in the trash it made me feel so powerful to do that . showed how serious I was about my plan
think of sweets as bad things that damage your arteries.

rachael2011 replied to mog1026's response:
Lol, Kathy, you should write children's poetry or something. Your post reminded me of Dr Seuss (well not the smoking part!). Its in my head "cake cake cake..."!

Anyways, how is your bike coming along?

SW 325 CW 318 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- Unsure

mog1026 replied to rachael2011's response:
You know I just had to read the word cake in Judy's post and I fell down the rabbit hole of desire. It was late! I was weak!. I've only been a weight loss fanatic since Mid-January and old loves die hard. My daughter's birthday is in a few weeks and the blessed angel hates, I mean really hates, cake. Thank the Lord that's one bullet I can dodge a little longer. Well I love my new bike (tho maybe not as much as cake . It's just so nice to have something I can actually do to help myself. I'm keeping it on the lowest resistance and upping the duration each day. I had an exercise bike years ago that was such a tushie killer. This one is comfortable and unlike a vertical bike you have to keep your legs out in front of you so I can feel it a bit in my stomach and thighs.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.2 GW 165

jean4u replied to mog1026's response:
CAKE, got to jump in here! I too, had a long thing going with CAKE. Here's the thing it comes into our lives fairly often and there is a "comfy" food-emotion that goes with it. Like if we don't have a piece at a relative or friend's birthday or celebration it's like we don't fully participate in that event. Well, I just don't eat cake, for the most part, maybe once a year. I just can't trust myself with the stuff.

It is much easier to pass on this than try to stop once I get started.

I really can enjoy the smell of cake baking, though in the stores.

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb cake baking in the store gets to me more after an indulgence like that I am more aware of sweets when I shop I noticed that today I had to shop a day early furnace is getting replaced tomorrow,,, But I looked at the stuff did not buy it
I know better than to let that C word take over my thoughts LOl
You are right indulging in the C is opening a door that should be closed all the time . I am gonna try like heck to ride this out till it goes away ...

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm from Malaysia and have just joined this group. I was a big baby (13.25lbs) and have never been small. But now that I'm in 54 with 5 pr...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.