Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stuff
j9celeste posted:
Happy "spring" everybody! It's snowing here this morning, but it's going to be in the 20's and not much for a wind chill! I'm trying to be grateful for every positive.

For everybody who read and responded to my post about the problems with my signature, I figured it out this morning...completely by accident. I discovered that I have to press "enter" after I type my name then the signature comes up in full.

I had my MRI on my knee last week, and the orthopaedic surgeon thinks it's my MCL (medial crucial ligament). When he gets the MRI back, he'll be able to let me know how bad the tear is and if surgery is needed. I hope not, but it is what it is.

Since I'm walking with a cane inside and a walker outside with MUCH pain, I have started exercising with the exercise bands that I got from physical therapy after my car accident. I work my arms with three different exercises, and do some modified sit-ups while sitting up (I guess those would be sit-up sit-ups?)

Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous SW 286 CW 259 GW 165

jis4judy responded:
Hi Celeste
I hope you get good news from your doc visit and MRI
the sit up sit ups is interesting , I used to do crunches in my bed because it was so hard to get on and off the floor
Have you tried the sitting exercises on utube we have some links in resources that could help with that /
I am glad you got that signature figured out
looks like you lost another pound too..
good job Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
Morning Celeste,

Happy Spring to you, too!

Good that you are following up on what needs to be done with your knee. We really shouldn't ignore the things we can do to help our bodies, especially when it affects our mobility.

Good for you to use those exercise bands. Hope you get some relief with that pain. That has got to be difficult. Being down 25 lbs., though is very nice! WTG!

I am in maintenance. Seriously, I thought you just lost the weight and could go back to old ways. I guess that's why I never got to my goal weight, before. I joined "this IS a journey" team" and continue the journey and healthier choices and for the most part stay in my goal weight range. Is it a struggle, uh huh. Some days are easier than others. But it takes planning and kitchen work and scheduled movement.

Good for you to do that arm work and the modified sit-ups. It is interesting how our bodies respond to movement. Keep up the good work and keep posting!

Barb

j9celeste replied to jean4u's response:
Thank you for the wonderful encouragement Judy and Barb. It really does help me keep going.

Judy, I have not checked those links out yet. I will most certainly watch those.

Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous SW 286 CW 259 GW 165

totallywiggedout responded:
What's nice about the knee repair surgeries now, is that most are done laproscopically. So they aren't full surgeries with big scars and lots of downtime, but three little points of entry about an inch each and you only have a couple of weeks to recouperate.
Exerbands are great. I loved working with them while in therapy.
Whatever exercise you can get in will help keep your spirits up too so just do what you can and don't push yourself to do more than you are able to atm.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

j9celeste replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim,

It would be nice if the surgery (if I have to have it) wouldn't take me out of the game for too long.

My husband just told me about an hour ago that I was doing too much. All I did was set the table, clean up after dinner, and start cleaning the laundry room. After sitting around for a while, it's amazing how winded I get after a couple of things!

You're right about the exerbands. Any type of movement keeps my spirits up!

Celeste

mog1026 responded:
Hi Celeste! I feel your knee pain as a fellow sufferer, I'm looking at probable surgery too. Right now I'm trying to take off as much as I can. Any time you're feeling frustrated with the situation I'm here to listen.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.2 GW 165

totallywiggedout replied to j9celeste's response:
Celeste,
When we are quite heavy, our excess weight tends to push our lungs out of the way, making them less able to expand to their full potential.
Now that you have lost about 30 lbs , it's time to do some stationary deep breathing exercises to get your lungs back up to full capacity.
When you breath in, make sure to concentrate on expanding your diaphram too, by pushing your stomach muscles outward as you continue to slowly breath in until you Can't get any more air in. This will expand the lower part of your lungs more than you are probably used to doing. Your lungs are surrounded by muscles that can get lazy with lack of use just like every other muscle in your body.
Also , as you lose more weight, you won't be able to help yourself from being more active, because you will have more energy. But you are still going to have to be careful and listen to your body. You may have more energy, but you are still heavy. Your body will need time to adjust and catch up to your new energy level, lol.
You too should make sure to tell your doctor if you are short of breath after just a little exertion.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

j9celeste replied to mog1026's response:
Hi Kathy! It's nice to know that I'm understood! Thank you for listening.

Celeste

Hi Kim,
What a wonderful response...thank you so much. The breathing exercise is such a great idea. You're right about my body, and my poor lungs, needing to keep up with new energy lever. I had never thought of it that way.
I will talk to my doctor. I had forgotten that about ten years ago I was having the same problem and the doctor told me that I had exercise induced asthma. I had stopped my inhaler and it completely left my memory when I got less and less active.
Celeste

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Wow Kim, that is a really brilliant response. Who knew that about the lungs!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.2 GW 165

totallywiggedout replied to j9celeste's response:
Hi Celeste and Kathy. Happy Monday!
Here in Northern Louisiana we don't get snow, much, but we are currently in a morning "freeze" warning, today and tomorrow at least for now, with wind gusts up to 35 mph. So we are getting a little bit of that nasty cold weather too. Louisiana style.
As for the breathing. I learned this in Junior high while in choir. The first week or so the heavier of us bout passed out during "breathing exercises" because it's such a headrush to get almost twice the oxygen with every breath than you are used to. All while standing on choir bleachers.
It's actually best, and easier to learn if you picture your lungs in two parts as you breath, picture and expand the tops then start pushing the ab muscles out to expand the bottoms with air till your lungs are full.
It's not just heavy people that don't use their lungs to full capacity. Most people don't. Most of us go through life taking much shallower breaths than our lungs can hold which in turn doesn't oxygenate our bodies to their fullest potential.
huggs
k

blondie454u responded:
Glad you're still motivated to keep going!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Hi Kim
Great exercise! Thank you so much.
Celeste

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 48 and would like to shed 50 pounds. I have been a vegetarian for 30 years; I love to be active outdoors; I feel like I have a healthy lifesty...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.