Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Continuing to overeat, sleep improving
justmejust posted:
Hi all,

Haven't had a lot of time to keep up on the threads here. I am still eating to much and trying to stay below 215.

I realized I have been sleeping less than seven hours most nights. However this is an improvement from earlier when I was having trouble sleeping at all after an average menopause.

So when I don't sleep enough, I tend to eat too much throughout the day, and though I eat greens and fruit and grains, nuts, beans, etc. I also eat unhealthy carbs.

So I guess it is status quo for me for a little longer. So glad I am sleeping a little more though.

Thanks for listening.

Laura

PS. Here is a photo of our backyard after 10" of snow today:
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

jis4judy responded:
wow Laura I am glad that last storm skipped my area
but it does look pretty in pictures .
I am glad you are sleeping better I sleep less than My hubby does . he goes to bed around 9 pm I stay up till 11 pm and we both get up around 7 - 7:30
I guess no 2 people are the same in that way ..
You maybe aren;t ready to control your unhealthy carbs You might try to make a plan for them . I indulged yesterday in cake it was my son in laws birthday and my daughter baked the cake it was good , but I am not going to let that indulgence derail my plans to eat as healthy as possible
back on plan right away that planned indulgence was not a slip I ate a bit less of my healthy foods to make room for the cake . I already told you about my plan for ice cream that was an addiction I had to sweets and the sticking point that derailed other attempts to control my food intake ..Until I addresses that issue I was failing over and over . try to figure out why you eat the unhealthy carbs and maybe understanding why you eat them you can find a way to curb them
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
Hi Laura, looks more like Dec. than near April! I really think we are ready for some nice weather. Ten inches of snow is even alot in Winter, yet alone in Spring!

I just learned recently that getting enough sleep is needed to prevent dementia/Alzheimer's. Sleep helps your brain to rest/restore itself for the next day. So getting adequate sleep in necessary for our brains as well as our bodies.

Good that you are including healthy foods that is a positive.

Gee do you think you will get rid of that snow by Easter? Easter Bunny will have to ski to deliver those baskets.

Have a happy Easter! Nice to see you check in.

Barb

rachael2011 responded:
Good morning Laura,
Nice picture. I know its a pain to drive in, but it is beautiful to look at. We are getting it now...just watching is nice today w nowhere to go. Usually, I hate the snow.

Wonderful on the sleep. You feel so much better when you are rested and everything you do seems to go a little smoother too (as opposed to when you go without sleep).

Maybe increase some of the good foods you are eating, the lower calorie one like the fruits and veggies, and gradually decrease the empty carbs. Just a though anyway.

Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 318 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- Unsure

j9celeste responded:
Hey Laura!
We only had a dusting yesterday but got nailed last week. It does look beautiful, but it's much prettier in December than at the end of March!
Do you live in the UP? I live in northern Minnesota so I get it!
I'm happy that you are able to get a little more sleep. I remember after menopause waking up with those night sweats...not a picnic! Having to change my jammies and sleep on top of the blanket because the sheets were wet. I hope that your inner thermometer levels out soon.
I have always struggled with getting to sleep at night, especially when I'm manic. I got 2.5 hours Saturday night and 6.5 last night. I have many "tricks", but they don't always work. If things don't get better, talk to your doctor to see if they have anything that may help you! It's hard to keep up any type of energy level when you're not getting enough shut-eye!
Have a great day!
Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous SW 286 CW 259 GW 165

justmejust replied to rachael2011's response:
Thanks Rachael,

I will try eating more of the good foods. Maybe it will help!

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

totallywiggedout responded:
Beautiful Pic Laura. Makes me wish I was in Michigan still.... sometimes, lol
Are you on hormones yet, Laura? It may be time to think about some HR therapy to get through this. Not sleeping enough has many adverse repercussions that can affect your life and health. You may just need a moderately low dose to ease some of the worse symptoms of your post menopause.
I haven't started going through it yet. Am really NOT looking forward to it. Seems like a bit much to ask... we have the babies, the weightgain, the periods, the menopause..... just because of an APPLE??!!! lol
even if you need to carb out, try for the healthier options of them. Baked chips or low sodium tortilla chips and salsa instead of reg ruffles, lol
You know the drill.
Take care of you , Laura. I'm really glad you are still hanging in with us though.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
Pretty picture Laura. You've gotten some good advice on the sleeping and such. You may want to try some meditation. It works if you can clear your mind. I lay there and close my eyes and focus on a number or an image of some kind. It keeps my mind from wondering. That's how I have been sleeping with no meds.

Kim,

I know right? All just because of an apple. Why do all women have to be punished. I didn't eat it! As the saying goes one rotten apple will spoil the bunch.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rachael2011 replied to blondie454u's response:
That's really funny, Kim and Amber. One bad apple will spoil the bunch. Ha ha!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 318 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- Unsure

abnersmom responded:
Beautiful pic, Laura. Glad you are sleeping more now. Not sure what the unhealthy carbs are but like Kim says, can you find a healthier alternative, but still get whatever it is you are needing from food?
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

justmejust replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb,

Thanks. Yes, sleep is good for every organ, because that is when the organs regenerate from the work all day. And, we don't think well without enough sleep. It is when our body heals.

The bad carbs I eat, in addition to healthy carbs and foods, are the chocolate ice creams and cookies. I eat too many each day, and usually full fat variety. I just bought easter chocolate hershey eggs yesterday, ate a few servings, gained a couple pounds.

However, I walked 1.5 miles on the treadmill, and did the bike for about 20 minutes gently.
Laura

jean4u replied to justmejust's response:
Hi Laura,

I posted earlier in the day it didn't take.

Barb

jean4u replied to jean4u's response:
Just wanted to post that one to see if it took.

Now, I hope I can recall the first post.

The essence of it was, good for the exercise.

Can't do the DESSERT eating on a daily basis.

Get those capriis that you wore last Summer, look at them when you want a "treat".

Rememebr when, last Summer people gave you compiments, girl you can DO this!

You DESERVE be healthy.

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to justmejust's response:
Laura, I'm extremely concerned about the "whys" of your cravings.
You aleady know that your health is suffering for them. You also know that your weight is suffering. And I'd bet the farm that your emotions and self esteem are suffering too.
I'm just not sure wheather these things are the cause or the effect of your continuous chocolate cravings.
So, of course, I googled it, LOL
Please, check out this link and tell me if that first couple of paragraphs sounds like anyone we know, Laura.

http://heartofwisdom.com/blog/are-you-getting-enough-magnesium/

Look at the causes OTHER than what seems to be just your choices. It may very well be something that you can't control with just willpower.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, I want to throw Laura a lifeline, too. I recall the eating chocolate chip ice cream for breakfast days, once upon a time. Comfort eating, mindless eating and emotional eating leads to dreaded weight gain.

Kim, you were here when Laura went to Summer outings in cute outfits and got compliments (spelled it right this time LOL). I got my capris and laid them out to try on and it is a good feeling to wear cute clothes and I'm 67!

Eating cookies, ice cream and holiday chocolate is putting Larua in a "carb coma". I did that. It was a habit to eat that way and it makes you ravenous because you aren't getting the proper balance or you are over-loading with carbs.

That blog about magnesium looks interesting, Kim, too....just might be a clue. I think my Mom said she had leg cramps and told a doc about that they said it was she needed more magnesium and to drink milk and she did not like milk so that lack of milk may have caused (Mom's) problem.

We care about our Board Buddies and want to "Lift Them Up" just like the Josh Groban song!

We all DESERVE to be as healthy as we can be.

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been working on myself for the last 2 years the first year I lost 24 pounds and the second year I made a cleanup in my life. Now it is time ...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.