Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Family Matters
An_251098 posted:
My husband and I are both obese now that I've had our first baby. I try to shop healthy, but we can't always afford the healthiest options. On top of that, he works at a resturant & is around food all day. I would LOVE any tips on how to eat healthy on a budget and get my video game junkie of a husband off the computer and physically active. We both have gym memberships, but because of the winter weather we don't do as much as we should. I have eliminated processed carbs, alcohol, fatty cooking methods, fatty meats, added salts, and beverages except unsweetened tea, water, 2% milk, and 100% fruit juice. I also cook alot of soups and stews so we eat in a more volumetric way.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mog1026 responded:
Hi! It sounds like you are all ready doing a lot right.. With a new baby to care for that's an accomplishment, Good for you! Watch the juice and use it mostly as a flavoring for water rather than drinking it by the 12 oz. tumbler as my husband does. I don't know if I have any brilliant ideas on economical shopping besides watch the sales and use your freezer. I have found that buying reasonable produce (ie carrots and bananas not endive and arugula! ) to be much cheaper than the snack foods, ice cream and yes CAKE that I used to sneak into my cart. Also smaller portions cost less...yup it's true. We've just discovered that. As far as your husband goes...It's impossible to motivate someone else. Lord knows nobody could do it for me. Maybe set a timer next to the screen and tell him you're worried about blood clots and he has to jog in place every 10 minutes. Or get a peddler and put it under his computer chair so he can exercise and surf at the same time! Bottom line you have to take care of yourself and you are off to a great start. This is a great board with really successful dieters to help you. ( not me, I'm a newbie like you
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 214.2 GW 165

jis4judy responded:
Hi An
the only thing I saw in your choices was the juice it is better to eat the whole fruit drinking juice is very fat producing
stick to unsweetened tea and water and try to reduce the milk to 1% for a while then go fat free
I didn't see any vegies in your list either so include a green vegie every day welcome aboard!
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi An_..098, Welcome!
I really like what Kathy suggested about the under chair mini peddler or the time alotment then an exercise break. Any movement added into the daily routine is still SOME exercise and caloric burn. Don't pressure him though. He's an adult. He's ulitmately going to have to make the decision to live healthier on his own.
Your main concern is you.
These gals are right about the juice. Either water it down or eat the fruit. You get more bulk, fiber and nutrients from whole fruit and less calories. Think about how little juice you get from an orange. A 12 oz glass would be like eating 3 or 4 oranges.... would you do that? probably not.
If you are looking for easy and fairly cheap meal ideas, log in, then clik the resources link on the left of our community page. There is a link to our "recipe" discussion that the members have shared some favorite recipes and recipe site links on.
The stir frys of mine are pretty cheap to make because I load up on veggies and use less meats, then I add just a few whole grain or whole wheat spaghetti noodles to "bulk it up" per serving.
Otherwise, the only other thing I may add is that when you make things like stew or cream soups, try to thicken them with something other than flour, like mashed beans or chick peas or use tomato paste instead. This will cut down on calories and fats.
Start a food and fitness planner also. The one here on WebMd or the one on Fitday.com are both really good tools to use to find out how many calories and how much exercise you should shoot for on a daily basis to reach your goal, and they are easy to use in tracking foods and exercises.
Continue to blog with us. It may seem strange at first sharing your journey, but believe me, it helps to "chat" with people who know your pain, and can share your victories.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jean4u responded:
HEY, I think YOU got to SAVE yourself first. Seriously.

Something to think about. I live with a high carb eater and to keep my weight down I need low carb.

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb My hubby is a 2 potato guy and bread with every meal even rice he eats over a cup with his meals always gets seconds with pasta... he is a total carb freak

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, I think your hubby is my hubby's bother! Sometimes it's just easier to let them eat what they want. Mine is not overweight. This is my 2nd marriage, so did not raise a family with him. Might be different if I was feeding kids. I just couldn't let the kids learn his habits. Maybe I have gotten extreme in how I eat, too. I eat very few carbs that are "white". I get my carbs from fruits, veggies, whole grains and low fat dairy for the most part. He eats totally the opposite of that....mostly white carbs, i.e. sugar Coke, sugar in coffee, donuts, chips, pasta, potatoes and gravy (I gain weight just writing this! LOL).

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
My hubby is drinking his coffe black most of the time I saw him using milk in it a few times and sugar he claims his tummy need it My poor hubby has regained a lot of the weight he removed he lost over 100 pounds and found about 40 of them over again.. all this time I have been removing and regaining 3 pounds he is steady gaining a few pounds every year . He has a stash of candy in the downstairs fridg

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Well, that's how we gain if we don't work to stay in maintenance. I had to face the 5-6 I had gained from Nov. and Dec. It took over 6 weeks to get rid of that, very slow and I still work at it. If I didn't address that "holiday" gain, I would probably add to it in weight and in getting back to old habits of eating and less movement.

My DH also has a stash of candy! He also uses whole milk in his coffee.

Barb

Khristi replied to jis4judy's response:
I guess I'll have to hassle my grocery store. I'm lactose intolerant & they only carry 2% or whole lactose free milk right now. We do eat our veg, but I bet we could swap our proportions of starch & veggies and end up healthier for about the same cost. Thanks Judy

Khristi replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy,
There might be a hint of truth to the coffee thing if he has heartburn. That being said, he's better off having a slice of whole grain toast with his coffee or just putting a shot of 2% milk in (that bit of fat saves your teeth from stains) & skipping sugar entirely.

jis4judy replied to Khristi's response:
Hi Khristi I use lactose free fat free milk with extra calcium My store has them all have your grocery store order it for you every now and then I ask my store to stock an item I want sometimes they keep it then other times I have to ask again

You know something you said makes a lot of sense he just might have heartburn he once in a while claims his tummy flips over and I try to understand it maybe it is heartburn I never had that so have no idea what it is...like HMM

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Khristi,
I use Silk original Almond milk. 60 cals per cup.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim How is almond milk made ? can you really milk an almond or is that a created processed food ? Have you read the label to find out whats in it?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Here I am! Feeling the worst I ever have. 100 pounds to lose and very overwhelmed about it. 1 year away from 50 years old. Developed high blood pressu...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.