Skip to content
how to eat??
bentnbroken posted:
I have just started with the WebMD site, i have been tracking all my food the last three days, I am obsesed with trying to stay under my limits for fats, sugar, sodium and trying to meet goals for % of protein, fats and carbs, but having a really tough time hitting my calorie intake number. if I have two bananas and an orange , im way over my sugar, or two eggts and a 4 ounce piece of meat, BAM cholestral is way out, Im leaving defeciets of 600-700 calories.... help I think im getting plenty of food, should I be drining a protein shake to? It seems impossible to get all my calories and not exceed all the other numbers.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi Ben are you diabetic? the thing you should worry about is added sugars from processed foods not the sugar in fresh fruit . If you are diabetic maybe then you need to worry about the sugars in fruits.
You should include lots of vegies in your plan to off set the fat numbers include whole grains fat free dairy
the sugars in fruit can be burned off with exercise
also It might look like you are over your numbers but when you get the whole days food in it may balance out if you eat enough vegies ,,,
welcome Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to jis4judy's response:
also try to get your fats from other sources like nuts and avocados
Hugs Judy:)

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

bentnbroken replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks Judy, I will keep all that in mind as I begin this journey, again I guess your right, shouldnt need to worry much about those charts and graphs as long as im getting my food from natural sources and staying away from the processed. Thanks for the welcome, and by your numbers there you have made the journey, thanks for the tips

jis4judy replied to bentnbroken's response:
Just remember Ben the journey never ends going back to old ways of eating is a recipe for disaster and regaining poor health you name it

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi ben, Welcome aboard!
I see you like your eggs and fruit. Good for you! And using the charts isn't a bad idea, they are really good tools to use for keeping track of intake and exercise output.
I kind of work in all types of different "diets" into my journey. For one thing it keeps me from getting bored with the same old food all the time and it also gives me ideas of what works for me and what doesn't.
Like working more fiber into your diet. Check out the "full plate diet" , for watching the sugars and carbs check out the suggested foods on the American Diabetic Assoc site, for what meats to eat and how to fix them try the Paleo diet sites.
ALL of these (with links) and some of our own recipes can be found on the Resources link at left of page. Just log into the 50-100 comm and clik resources.
Believe me when I say that the listed sites are worth their weight in gold and virtually all of the recipes that our members have donated are really good and good for you.
I'm taking it you are a guy which is good. We need more input from the fellas out there. Different perspectives on what works and what doesn't is what this journey is all about, so blog with us or even if not READ the blogs to stay in touch vicariously because it does help to have support along the way.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rohvannyn responded:
Welcome to the group! It's best not to try to do everything all at once. Start with sustainable changes. One of the things that has helped me is to cut out everything processed. Just doing that will increase your nutrition and improve your health. Eating for nutrition, you don't have as much room for empty calories.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

abnersmom responded:
Hi Ben and welcome! I'm with Judy add some healthy fats (nuts and avocado). They have high caloric intake, protein and healthy fats. I added walnuts to my oatmeal last year and, along with some other changes, it made a big difference in my cholesterol numbers. Good luck on your journey.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jean4u responded:
Hi Ben,

You ask HOW to eat....but what is/are your goal(s)?

Most people here want to shed pounds and end up doing that by eating healthier. You used a "scary" word obsessed and the difficulty with that IS that you are seeking perfection in a way of eating. Think Progress not Perfection.

Have you thought of eating eggwhites and not the yolks, that would solve the cholesterol issue.

Let us know how you do.

Barb

bentnbroken replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks for all the helpful hints! Judy, your right this needs to be a life long change, Im getting to the age of no second chances, lol....... Kim, Thank you for the welcome and all the great information, I see from all the signatures that you gals know what your talking about. Roh, thanks for the welcome, I have become very aware of my diet, Im reading all the labels if I do use a proccesed food, like pasta, switched to whole wheat, the wife didnt even know it! Debbie, Thank you also for the welcome, I was told by a walnut farmer here in Modesto that walnuts were a brain food, thats why they look like little brains, imagine that...... lol Barb, your right that is a scary word, but I really meant by that is after tracking my food for a few days, thinking I was eating healthy; then to see the carb, sugar and cholestrol numbers so far excedding what they recommend scared me! Thank you all again.... to the Journey, cheers

blondie454u replied to bentnbroken's response:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome aboard! Also don't worry about those numbers just worry about if the food that you're eating is fresh or minimally processed. Natural foods are they way to go.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

bentnbroken replied to blondie454u's response:
Hi Blondie,

Thanks for the welcome, a great job on your journey. what a wonderful personel experiance. you can learn so much about yourself from yourself.

justmejust replied to bentnbroken's response:
Welcome Ben! Amber is right. Fresh foods instead of processed products are always primary nutrition sources to health and well being.

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

bentnbroken replied to justmejust's response:
Thanks Laura, when i get toward the end of my week harder to find fresh around the house, but just making more trips to store.

Hi Amber, didnt mean any disrespect calling you blondie, forgot about the names below the post, and speaking of that how do you add the signature showing start and current weight ?

Happy Easter All !!!

jis4judy replied to bentnbroken's response:
Ben I have to shop 2 days a week to keep fresh produce fresh usually Tuesdays and Fridays

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 56 years old and I weigh 270 lbs. I have been over weight my entire life. I have lost 60 lbs since I had the gastric sleeve but I'm stuck ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.