Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hi All I am New to this board
An_251173 posted:
Hi All,
I am new to this board and new at posting. I am mostly lurking on the pain management site. I will admit to lurking In the shadows on this board. I figure I would come out and say HELLO
Here Is A little info about me
I have fibro plus 3 ruptured disc in my neck.
I love animals. I have 2 mastiffs 12 ducks 5 rabbits and 5 guinea hens ( would have a mini donkey if my husband would let me lol)
As of april 17 th It will mark my 3rd month of being smoke free (yeah for me) I smoked for 35 years.
Okay enough about me lol Between quiting smoking and a medication I was on I have gained 45 lbs not good.
I have switched medication so hopfully that will help some.
Exercise Is hard for me, do to a lot of pain but I have been walking on the tread mill every other day I have worked my way up to 30 min.
I hope to reach at least 45 min every other day soon.
Do any of you have other suggestions as to what else I could do besides walk that is low impact?
Thanks Deb

jean4u responded:
Hi Deb, what do your docs say is safe for movement?

Congrats on the no smoking, too. I am an ex-smoker, too. I smoked for 10 years and it took me 3 tries to really quit for good. I used to smoke over 2 packs a day, that was over 30 years ago. Can you imagine how much I would pay to continue that by today's cost of smokes?

What do you eat? Have you started to make any changes in your eating plan?

Barb

jis4judy responded:
Hi Deb welcome aboard
I read somewhere that fibromyalgia could be a part of an allergy to wheat the spelling is bad for me on this but it is called celiac disease and if you change the way you eat you could feel a lot better...
try focusing on fruits vegies lean meats I think nuts and dairy maybe ok but bread products stay away from
Congrats on giving up the smoking your lungs will thank you

Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Debrichard replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks for the reply. For breakfast I have sugar free cereal and fruit. For a snack I have a piece of fruit and a cheese stick. For lunch i will have tuna right out of the can a veggie or two and maybe a yogurt if i am not full.And for supper I try to have two veggies with chicken or some other lean meat.
and for a snack before bed i will have a yogurt with granola in it and i have started to drink plenty of water. My son has been after me to check out the paleo diet he says it will help me with my pain I don't know how true this is.but any advice you can give me will be great.
Thanks and congrats to you in the stop smoking also It is tough.

Debrichard replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks for the reply

I try to eat well I really do not eat that much bread anymore I have been peeking at all the post you people have made and have been changing my diet slowly.I will be 50 in may and I have set some goals one was to be smoke free and the other was to eat healty and get into my old clothes I refuse to buy a new wardrobe lol I am slowly working up the levels of exercise my pain management doc would like me to do water arobics told him i could not i live in the country and the nearest place that does it is an hour away so it would be 2 hours round trip told him as soon as the river by my house thaws i will lol
Thanks Deb
ps don't worry about spelling mine is not good either lol

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Deb, welcome to the community.
The first thing I want to say after reading your initial mssg, is congratulations on your quitting smoking. That was a major step forward in gaining the upper hand on your health.
I hate doing this, but I'm gonna have to.....
sigh
It's really great that you are doing exercise and trying to raise your time doing it. BUT, you have to do some sort of exercise daily. I'm sorry but it would really be better for you to stay at the 30 min time frame and do it every day. The fact is, you eat every day so you have to expend some of those calories . Diet and exercise go hand in hand.
BUT, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to do the same old "normal" exercises that we tend to think of.
Tai Chi would be a great exercise for you to try with your neck problems. It's very slow motion movement that tones and stretches without joint stress.
The 12 minute seated Core is always one I suggest too.
You will find these FREE video links in this community's RESOURCES at the top left of page.
Sign in here on the 50-100 comm then clik the resources link. Every community had it's own resources so you can only find them here on ours since WE put them there.
Also. any exercise is great. So maybe instead of doing it all at once, you could also break it up and do just 15 min after the three main meals. Then you are actually doing 45 for the day and it doesn't even feel like it. Get it?
We all love animals here too. I have a couple of dogs, a cat and a chinchilla right now. This is always subject to change since I too want a couple of chickens, even though I live in town.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Debrichard replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks Kim
I will check out the resources.It makes sense about exercises also. The tread mill is so boring I started reading while I am walking.Who knew I could do two things at once lol. And I am going to try your kale chips this weekend.I am going to try my best to get more exercise thanks for your input and adviice
Deb

totallywiggedout replied to Debrichard's response:
Deb, you MAY even find that you can ALSO chew gum, read and walk the treadmill. I personally can't but I've heard there are people out there with more finesse!
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u replied to Debrichard's response:
Hi Deb, sounds like you are eating healthy. Now the thing is, is, it is the CONSISTENCY of eathing healthy and moving more that will help us all reach desired weight.

Keep up the good work!

Barb

Debrichard replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks all for the replies
Kim thanks for all the faith you have in me with the gum and all I know that will take practice lol
Really though you are all so thoughtful and helpful I hope you all had a wonderful easter.
The hardest part for me was laying the eggs lol
I did manage to get 45 min. on the treadmill saturday and sunday yipeee
Have a good day all

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome and congrats on what you have accomplished so far! Just keep going.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi It's me-Miamama2 i had trouble with my password and had to create a whole new name but anyway-here is my story-I'm so ashamed to admit but...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.