Skip to content
Bedtime and...stuff
tnmist posted:
Been reading some great posts/conversations and info and encouragment. This board rocks! I will try to get a picture of the hand-made cane posted. I want to test it tomorrow and see how I do. It will be the afternoon before that happens though. I actually attend church on Saturday mornings and am very involved, so my Saturday mornings are quite busy. I love my church family; it's a smaller church and really is like a second family to me.

My insomnia this week has caught up to me. It's about 9:15, and, believe it or not, I'm headed to BED soon. I want to get my nights and days turned back around anyway. I work a bit of a second shift, so it's easy to stay up much too late at night. I've been taught, too, that the hours of sleep BEFORE midnight are much more restorative to the body than those hours AFTER midnight. I very rarely even get to bed before midnight, but I will try harder to aim that direction.

My ONE thing I've been working on this week is not eating late at night. My cutoff time is about 7, which isn't late for me, but I know it may sound a little late to some people. Been doing pretty good with that this week, only messed up a couple of times, partly because eating at night is a habit and I would go and eat something and then realize the time. Oopsy. Will continue with that agenda - not eating at night - and this coming week I will focus on getting better sleep habits going.

I read (SOMEWHERE here, ha!) that part of good sleep habits is reserving the bedroom just for sleep or sex, which is interesting to hear that again because just a few weeks ago my therapist told me the exact same thing. Our bodies do best with routine, and doing similar evening routines signals our bodies that we are getting ready for sleep, and reserving the bedroom only for sleep is also a signal to our body that we are headed for la-la-land.

That magnesium info is interesting, too. Unsure what that site is or it's trustworthiness, but it's certainly worth looking into for corroboration. I'm trying to eat more bananas and nuts because I don't like milk either and only use soy milk when I need a milk-type product, like with my oatmeal.

Well, I was just paid today, then I paid what bills I could, bought minimal groceries, pet food, and put some gas in the car, and that will have to do until next payday in 2 weeks. I hate running this close to 0, but it is what it is right now. The upswing is that it will be much easier to be good with my food these next 2 weeks! This will be a good time to figure out what to do instead of eat when stressed, depressed, angry, etc. I have a journal I've been neglecting and will probably dust that off and use it, for one thing.

Thanks for listening.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

abnersmom responded:
Hope you got some good sleep last night. Great job on setting the cutoff time for night eating! Journaling really helps me clarify my thoughts and emotions. Thanks to Barb's suggestion, I also post my daily weight in it now. Also glad that you have a wonderful church family. I'm not sure which religion you are, but I am Christian and Holy Week is so important to me. Enjoy your Saturday!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

tnmist replied to abnersmom's response:
Thank you. I am Christian, and...Happy Easter!!
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

tnmist replied to abnersmom's response:
I'm not sure how to add a picture to a post, so I temporarily changed my main picture. Hard to see much unless you click on it to view my profile, and even then it's pretty small. I don't do Facebook or use another site to post pics to create a URL, so I may be stuck doing it this way. Hope you can tell a little what it looks like. My friend burned a little flower under the handle and added my name and date, etc. The pic doesn't do it justice.

That's Jack behind the glass. He is about 27 lbs., a Cocker mix. He is my shadow. Used the cane and a knee brace and walked around the whole block today. It's a big block, and it took me 30 mins. The cane does help. It's not a cureall, but it does help! I'm hoping it's temporary and I won't need it after I shed some lbs.
Misty

tnmist replied to tnmist's response:
I don't see the pic showing yet, but if you click on my pic, when you go to my profile, the new pic shows up there.
Misty

tnmist replied to tnmist's response:
Will just have this pic temporarily as it affected my other communities, too...Wish we could do different pics for different communities.
Misty

totallywiggedout replied to tnmist's response:
If you just want to post a pic in a discussion box, the easiest way is to post it only to yourself on facebook, rt clik it there, then "copy" and paste to an open discussion box here, lol'
alot of fal de rol but it works if the pic is Yours and not a copywrited one .
Btw the cane looks nice. Certainly an original that won't easily come up stolen without someone recognizing it lol
hope its working out for you.
Happy Easter, Misty
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

tnmist replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks. I don't do Facebook or anything where I could use a URL link for a picture. Ohwell...It's hard to notice any details of the cane. It's def unique...What appears to be sticking out part way down is just a little ribbon she put on it when she gave it to me, and I haven't taken it off yet...It looks a lot better in person, LOL...

Any-who, enough with tthe cane.

Happy Easter
Misty

jean4u responded:
Hi Misty, Happy Easter!

I'm glad you have a supportive church family. That is good to hear. Sounds like you are doing positive things that will add up. I eat later than most people and I find that is OK for me. What isn't OK, though is the snacking AFTER I eat a late dinner. I am trying real hard to cut down on that.

I have a TV in the bedroom and some say that is a no-no, but it works for us, because me and DH like totally different TV shows, sometimes.

Keep us posted!

Barb

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, Happy Easter! This is such a special time. Really reminds us of new beginnings, i.e. Christian related and in the Earth and maybe us.

About the posting daily weight....it is a tool. I like how I could make a spreadsheet with it, though! LOL

Barb

tnmist replied to jean4u's response:
A spreadsheet..wow, that's ambitious! Once a week is plenty for me.
Misty

jean4u replied to tnmist's response:
The thing about daily weigh-ins and and positng it in a journal, you really get to see patterns/trends in your eating style. It is creating consistency of the healthier choices that will keep our weight down. My weight journal was a tool to help me look at the specific days I went up OR down and review what I did or didn/t do.

This was ALWAYS a topic when I first started here....."How to weigh". In the beginning it may not be good, especially when we are easily discouraged. But in maintenance, where we need to keep a closer watch on even those seemingly small gains it is helpful to make the connection that high sodium, ect. can play. Heck, I can gain 2-3 lbs. in a day due to sodium and carbs, but I can un-do it too if I kick in a "damage control" plan by noticing my gain and not let it slide (I would forget "that day" if not posted and it would lead to another and another and 2-3 would become the next 10).

BTW, I did gain 2 but I was down 2 yesterday. Here we go, because of my daily weigh-ins I know I have some room to play so to speak, but I will eat alot of fresh fruit and make sure I hydrate to combat my higher carb and alot of sodium yesterday (had to have kielbasa and sauerkraut and rye bread
for Easter).

I didn't even know where my scale was hiding and had to send a search party for it when I first came here. Really if I weighed myself 2 times a year that was it. I just would buy bigger clothes as needed.

Barb

blondie454u responded:
I too have sleep issues. It comes and goes for me. When I used to work 3rd shift it was real bad. I hope you have been sleeping better. How funny you mention the TV in the bedroom. This weekend we did spring cleaning and the TV in our room doesn't work well so we decided to get rid of it since we don't use. We decided that our bedroom is for the same reasons. How ironic.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Misty
I think that cut off time maybe be a great thing you decided. It was one of the best things I did in my journey I was a nighttime eater.. and it did help me in my journey when I made the cut off time ...Mine was 7 pm too It is now 8pm because all my days changed when My Hubby retired time for breakfast etc
Good that you are getting better sleep Keep working at it /
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rachael2011 replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy- I know eventually I will need to start the no eating after like 8P or so, but I am afraid I will be doing it too soon with the other changes I am making and I will get overwhelmed. Last night, I was really upset and of course, turned to the fridge out of habit. I talked myself into something healthy at least-- cottage cheese and a banana, but I really wasn't hungry and I knew I was wrong. The other thing I am worried about it that I just got my sleep to a regular schedule (for about 4 months) and I am afraid that if I can't eat, I will just got to bed and mess with my whole sleep schedule again. I really used to be out of whack.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 315 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- Unsure

Spotlight: Member Stories

All my life I have been considered bigger than everyone else. I used to blame it on my asthma and allergies. I decided to put a stop to it. I am t...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.