Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The Fight
tnmist posted:
My day was a regular work day, but I do work earlier on Sundays and have my evening free. I noticed today that my "story" was wiped out, and this community is no longer listed under "my communities." Not sure what gives with that, but I won't take it as a bad omen and will just shrug my shoulders and mutter, "computers, arrgh."

I'm watching the documentary, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead," about a guy who kicked off a healthier lifestyle by eating only by juicing for 60 days. That's sounds extreme, but I wanted to see his story.

I have no sweets in the house, and I survived without processed sugar today. It isn't anything to toot my horn about, unless you know my habits. I do have to buy a few groceries tomorrow and will make sure I keep some fruit on hand to satisfy my sweet tooth. I know our tastebuds can be retrained, so I'm trying to be a good parent to myself. I know most everyone says sweets are okay in moderation, but for right now, they really aren't for me because I'm not able to be moderate with sweets. I'm just going to take one day at a time - one meal at a time - and see where it leads. I'm just experimenting a bit.

I'm trying to require more from myself. I'm not willing to settle for where I'm at. I'm worth fighting for. I'm also tired of letting my emotions dictate what I eat. I've been only existing my whole life. Before I get too old, I want to know what it feels like to be a normal weight and to be able to DO things and to live, not just exist. Sometimes I feel like I'm already too late. I'm much too young to have to use a cane to exercise, but it is what it is. It doesn't have to be permanent. This is just where I'm at today.

You are worth fighting for, too.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

jis4judy responded:
Very positive post Misty
Fight this war on obesity is a worthy fight that's for sure/
I am with you on the sweets better to not have them they like a drug to me and addiction requires not having any .. at least till you are a normal weight but you still have to be carful then too /

about the community not being listed while you are on other parts of the site at the very bottom of the list it has a see all
link so you can find us in that list the short list just lists a few
and changes maybe due to activity
how your story got wiped not sure on that you did change your photo a few times could have hit a wrong edit button and didn't save after while you were changing the photo.. easy to do that
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rachael2011 responded:
Misty- Going without the sweets and the sugars IS something to "toot your horn about". Its hard and its an addiction. GOOD JOB staying away from it! I thought I was doing OK this weekend with my nutrition, but a resident's mom gave me a bag a truffles for Easter. I CANNOT stop at one. I should have just thrown them away but the mom was so kind for giving them to me so I ate them. I can't have one bc I know I won't stop.

Also, good that you are experimenting and seeing what works for you. You will find it!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 315 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- Unsure

jean4u responded:
Misty, you chose the right title: "THE FIGHT".

That is the WAY we must view this struggle, too. It is a physical war and a mental one, too.

You can toot your horn! Everyday we fight our addictions we WON a round. Yaay for you do go without sugar!!!

Sometimes when we are just starting out it seems like it will take forever. But really where will we be if we don't dig our heels in and start or push re-set TODAY......where will we be next year.......the same or worse off.

I agree, MISTY, we/YOU are worth "The Fight"!!!

Barb

jean4u replied to rachael2011's response:
Rachael, good that you were doing good on your food up until the truffles came at you. This IS the kind of thing that will happen in (like Misty says) "The Fight". I am like that with chips. I lost a round yesterday with sodium but the difference is in committing to a healthier lifestyle, I know I did not give up "The Fight", just got down one round.....still in the ring.

BTW, a slip is NOT a failure and we can make better choices after that. Here's an analogy: Just because you get a traffic ticket, you don't go out and try to break all the driving laws. Just suck it up and do better. Same thing with a bad choice in eating you forgive and do better.

Progress NOT perfection. The turtle did win the race (slow and steady is good).

Barb

tnmist replied to rachael2011's response:
Rachel, that reminds me of a decision I made recently. Sometimes my church family means well, this one elderly lady in particular, and will try to give me "something to take home" because they know I live alone, and invariably it's a dessert. I used to graciously accept it and tell myself I will just sample it and then pass it on to my neighbor or ditch it, but I was only fooling myself and would end up eating all of the dessert.

I finally decided that anyone looking at me should know that the last thing I need is dessert in my home, and I decided to still be gracious but to firmly say NO, that I appreciate the offer but I'm not allowing any sweets into my home right now. I told this one woman that I will gladly accept a hug anytime, but I cannot accept anymore desserts. She was cool with it.

I decided that it's okay to graciously decline something and how a person responds to that is their decision and I can't control how people respond - that's their business.

Oh, I watched that movie last night, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" about juicing, and while this guy did something extreme, the message is that juicing (eating only veggies and fruits run through a juicer - 80% veggies, 20% fruit) for say 7 or 10 days or even 15 is a great way to detox and to kick-off healthier living. One catch is that until about day 4 you feel really lousy as your body is detoxing. But the idea of juicing is that you pack a lot of nutrition into your body to help detox that you just couldn't possibly eat in a day...I don't know. It just sounded intriguing to me. That was my take on it anyway, ha.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

mog1026 replied to tnmist's response:
Oh Misty what a great response to the well meaning church lady. You handled that perfectly and I might borrow the "hug" for a similar situation.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 212.6 GW 165

blondie454u responded:
This is a NSV for you! Good job!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rohvannyn responded:
Before I respond to anything else, I wanted to say I agree with what you say. Yes, sweets can be okay in moderation but not if they trigger old habits or sabotage you. Sometimes substitution can help you get out of old ruts and routines. Good job advocating for yourself, to yourself! You are worth it.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

rachael2011 replied to tnmist's response:
Misty- What an awesome response to the lady at church. I will use that in the future!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 315 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- Unsure

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am very new to this and I am unsure of how to get started. I will be married for 30 years this Dec. I have two boys 28 and 25. I need to make a heal...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.