Skip to content
Weighing food
pallzy posted:
I recently decided to invest in a digital food scale. Question - do you weigh meat before or after it's cooked. I always thought you would measure pre-cooked - but that doesn't exactly work for the ham I cooked for Easter dinner? Does it make much difference?
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 159

jis4judy responded:
Hi I use fitday and it has raw and cooked options I have been weighing it cooked If the cooked option isn't there I add about 2 ounces to the cooked what should have been the raw weight . I hope that makes sense
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

pallzy replied to jis4judy's response:
Thank you Judy - but that brings a new question. What size are you talking about when you add 2 oz? Adding that to a 4oz portion or an 8oz portion of cooked food is a big difference. I wouldn't think I would want to add the same to both...

jis4judy replied to pallzy's response:
It is the pork that is confusing on fitday if the cooked weight is 8 ounces with bone it specifies fried but says raw weight
if the pork weighs 8 ounces cooked and the raw weight should be 8 ounces for a large chop I call it 1.25 large chop But if it weighs less than the 8 ounces I call it a large
My boneless chicken breast specifies cooked so I put in the cooked weight ... everything I cook in meats seems to lose appox 25% of it's weight when cooked

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

pallzy replied to jis4judy's response:
Okay. I think I will use raw weight whenever I can. Then on those things that I have to use a cooked weight, like ham, I will factor in the loss from cooking. I use My Daily Plate on livestrong.com and haven't seem the option to count cooked vs. raw. But, I've been using that sight for years and don't plan to change any time soon.

Thank you for your help. I knew exactly who to go to.

blondie454u replied to pallzy's response:
Hey Sheryl!!!! Anyway when I did weigh my meat, I weighed it raw but Judy would have more input on the subject.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

pallzy replied to blondie454u's response:
That's what I had been doing, up until yesterday. I let my daughter decided what was for dinner for Easter and she wanted ham. I couldn't weigh my portion until I carved it - so raw didn't work... which made me start wondering if I should always weigh it cooked - or only when you had to.

BTW - hi!!!

jis4judy replied to pallzy's response:
That's true Sheryl If you make a ham shoulder or roast of any kind it is hard to weigh it raw.

Just increase the weight by 20-25%

Glad to see you posting and doing well with your journey!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

pallzy replied to blondie454u's response:
I've turned back not a lurker. I check out what is happening - just don't post much.

At least I know you're out there

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 64 years old with a weight problem that has crept on since my forties when I started a beta blocker for a heart problem. Of course I could ha...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.