Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
If the sun is shining why aren't I?
mog1026 posted:
Oh it is comforting to see that someone else can try hard and end up a pound heavier, Judy. This is a tough week for me and I'm losing my way and getting depressed. I've gotten up to 2 half hour sessions on the recumbent bike and I know I should be happy about that but I just feel the progress is nearly non existent and my knees are still miserable. This is a one woman pity party I know. I need to snap out of it!!!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 212.4. GW 165
FirstPrevious12NextLast

kalimiller responded:
I read somewhere that for every pound lost, you relive 4 pounds of pressure on your knees. Just think Kathy, you've already relieved your knees of 90.8 pounds of pressure!
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

kalimiller responded:
I guess when I get down, it's encouraging for me to look back at what I have already accomplished
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

jis4judy responded:
Hang in there Kathy. The motto is Never ever give up
just keep doing your best to eat healthy and avoiding all those processed foods .. something should start to improve soon ..
I walked twice yesterday and ate less and still ended up with 1 repound up it was like I was kicked in the tummy when I saw that but I rationalized that it must be a weird fluctuation or maybe even muscle ... did only one walk today and grocery shopping normal household chores..
2 1/2 Hours on that bike my gosh that's a lot maybe do only 30 -40 minutes a day and add a different exercise like in the bed crunches Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

itsashayduh responded:
Hello Kathy!

That is the same reason that i refuse to step on on scale more than once in 6 months. I know this sounds weird, but i am shooting for a pant/dress size rather than weight. My reason is because i used to step on the scale every day and not see the instant change. But, it is so nice to put on a pair of pant that used to fit 2-3 weeks ago and now they are too big. That for me is what keeps me going.
It might work for you as well

-Sash

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Never give up. Okay. That's why as soon as I wrote that post I went in the other room and did my half hour on the bike. I wanted to stop at 10 because my leg muscles were sore from last night's session, but II did 20. At 20 I thought I couldn't do any more, but I thought I would just try. And then it was the 30 that I wanted. In a bit I'll try the bed crunches, and then I'll wave my arms around with some 2 pound weights that I have. I'm not willing to eat any less because it wouldn't be healthy I know, so I can't just sit around all day sparing my knees. No one is going to dig me out of this mess but me. It would be nice if a drill Sargent would stop by once a day to get me going.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 213.6. GW 165

mog1026 replied to kalimiller's response:
90 pounds...WOW! That's awfully nice of me, Kali. You'd think the least they could do is say thanks!

mog1026 replied to itsashayduh's response:
I wish I could be like you Sasha and not weigh myself but I'm a person who NEEDS to know......everything. Good bad and ugly. I've learned painfully that if I ignore the scale, the weight comes back on.

blondie454u replied to mog1026's response:
Just keep going Kathy! Remember there are others who can't or won't even try what you are doing. There are also others who are in worst shape and they keep going. I don't know if that works for you but it does for me. I hope you see the sunshine soon because it's so pretty! Pretty sun for a pretty lady!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

mog1026 replied to blondie454u's response:
You are such a sweetie Amber and so young and so full of good advice. I went outside and sat in the late afternoon sun and that cheered me up a bit too. Thanks.

jean4u responded:
Kathy, I would like to suggest a site called sparkpeoplememberblogs, on there seek out indygirl, she has shed 250 lbs.. I find her the most interesting people ever. She shares the good the bad and the day to day.

Her struggles are what we face.
Barb

jean4u replied to kalimiller's response:
Kali, I heard it was 10!

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
Kathy, slow down on the cycling for awhile. You maybe are doing too much for your knees. My phy therapist always said 20 min on the bike then get going on something else. The bike is used as a muscle warm up rather than the main exercise for knees and hips.
So bike for 20, walk or whatever for 20 or 30min.
Also. I am not sure if you can get them in a store near you, but try BC Powder for arthiritis. These taste nasty, as they are something like pure powdered aspirin that you dump under your tongue then drink/rinse down with juice or whatever. But they work pretty well for arthritis pain if your dr says it's ok to use them.
If you can take aspirin you'll be ok with these.
Don't feel bad about having some "resistant" feelings about your journey. We all get them, the dulldrums... it'll pass.
Take a break once or twice a week and do something completely out of the ordinary and NOT grownup. Go swing at the playground or read a book on the monkey bars. Take an afternoon nap under a tree.... whatever makes you feel good inside. Ok?
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

totallywiggedout replied to kalimiller's response:
Kali, this is really a good thing to remember when you have arthritis. It's so darned hard to deal with the pain of swelling, but if you can do something to relieve just a little of it.... it's worth it, tenfold.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy, I'm the same. I weigh every morning same time, etc., etc. It's a habit now. Good or bad, I think it keeps me honest, but I know the experts don't recommend it because of all the crazy fluctuations. Still....

I've been hit or miss on here lately and I'm thrilled to see how active the board has been. I'm still trying to catch up reading all the new posts. Don't have time to reply to most. Am down visiting my son and his family this weekend. I don't EVEN want to get on the scale when I get home. The boys high school soccer team is in a tournament and we are eating at the strangest time which also leads to me snacking as I'm starving before we eat. We ate dinner at 10pm last night - heck, I've usually been asleep an hour by then....LOL! Hope everyone has a great weekend. Stay strong and stay on plan the best you can. Hopefully, I will do better today myself!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 44 years old, married with 4 children. I have faced many challenges in my life: I've been sober since 1986, quit a packet a day smoking habit...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.